Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Exaggeration much? Throttled or not, my S22 Ultra is still the fastest phone I've ever had, and I haven't even tried performance settings yet. Is Samsung dead wrong, YES!!!! But 2017 performance? Come on now. :rolleyes:
Since when are facts exaggeration? The proof is in the pudding, look at the scores it got when they spoofed Geekbench running as Instagram for example.

Wether your anecdotal evidence satisfies you or not, nobody should be giving Samsung money for the crap they’re pulling on it’s customers with this.

They’ll definitely enable a toggle for ‘GOS’ but that is not helping matters at all. The chip is too inefficient to run modern apps without overheating — is a huge problem. Wether their vapor chamber solution was a flop, they should’ve figured out a better way to mitigate this problem so the chip can run freely without getting too hot or quickly draining battery life. GOS ain’t it.

• Love
Reactions: LFC2020

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Since when are facts exaggeration? The proof is in the pudding, look at the scores it got when they spoofed Geekbench running as Instagram for example.

Wether your anecdotal evidence satisfies you or not, nobody should be giving Samsung money for the crap they’re pulling on it’s customers with this.

They’ll definitely enable a toggle for ‘GOS’ but that is not helping matters at all. The chip is too inefficient to run modern apps without overheating — is a huge problem. Wether their vapor chamber solution was a flop, they should’ve figured out a better way to mitigate this problem so the chip can run freely without getting too hot or quickly draining battery life. GOS ain’t it.

Anecdotal evidence? The average user (including myself) doesn't care much for benchmark numbers. It's already proven not to translate into actual experience. I still have a Galaxy S8. It doesn't run remotely as quick and smooth as my S22 Ultra. Not even my iPhone 11 Pro Max runs as quick as the S22 Ultra, and I think it still beats the S22 Ultra in benchmarks.

The difference between this and Apple's slow down fiasco is that it noticeably affected user's experience for years enough to create mass complaints, which turned into urban myths until there was actual proof against Apple.

Am I happy there's tech watch dogs calling out and making sure manufacturers stay on the up and up? YES!!!!
But if you think I (or most users) should return the S22 Ultra and catch a hissy fit over something that hasn't noticeable affected the experience, then you're reaching big time.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Anecdotal evidence? The average user (including myself) doesn't care much for benchmark numbers. It's already proven not to translate into actual experience. I still have a Galaxy S8. It doesn't run remotely as quick and smooth as my S22 Ultra. Not even my iPhone 11 Pro Max runs as quick as the S22 Ultra, and I think it still beats the S22 Ultra in benchmarks.

The difference between this and Apple's slow down fiasco is that it noticeably affected user's experience for years enough to create mass complaints, which turned into urban myths until there was actual proof against Apple.

Am I happy there's tech watch dogs calling out and making sure manufacturers stay on the up and up? YES!!!!
But if you think I (or most users) should return the S22 Ultra and catch a hissy fit over something that hasn't noticeable affected the experience, then you're reaching big time.

If you don’t care about benchmarks, then why on Earth are you in this thread replying to me specifically, about my comments about benchmarks? Lol?? Why even bring up performance in general if you don’t care about these things? I suspect you got triggered by my post because you paid a lot of money for mid-range performance.

Um, what? Apple’s stupid secretive battery slow down thing affected users when their battery got below 80% battery health—which on average is about 2-3 of constant daily use. Now it’s a toggle that you decide if you want peak performance with low battery health, so you accept risk of having shut downs/resprings. Samsung is throttling straight out of the box on a brand new $1,200 flagship device. Massive difference. And why do you keep bringing up Apple? We’re talking about Samsung here.

When did I say that you should return your Samsung? Hissy fit? Quote me my own post where I say that. That’s right you can’t because no where have I said that. You are literally making up argumentative fantasies in your head and replying at me lmao.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If you don’t care about benchmarks, then why on Earth are you in this thread replying to me specifically, about my comments about benchmarks? Lol?? Why even bring up performance in general if you don’t care about these things? I suspect you got triggered by my post because you paid a lot of money for mid-range performance.

"How could anybody defend this? You’re getting 2017 performance out of a brand new chip, that apparently overheats too much and uses too much battery if that toggle isn’t on forcefully in the background."

This is why I replied. Nobody's experiencing 2017 performance.

Um, what? Apple’s stupid secretive battery slow down thing affected users when their battery got below 80% battery health—which on average is about 2-3 of constant daily use. Now it’s a toggle that you decide if you want peak performance with low battery health, so you accept risk of having shut downs/resprings. Samsung is throttling straight out of the box on a brand new $1,200 flagship device. Massive difference. And why do you keep bringing up Apple? We’re talking about Samsung here.

There was nothing secretive about Apple's slow down, and it took years before Apple came clean about it.

Samsung's throttling out the box is not felt by the user. That's the big difference. Although I'm happy Samsung got checked on it before they eventually went overboard to the point users would feel the difference.

The OP stated that this is 10x worse than what Apple did. Which I highly disagree with. That's why I'm bringing up Apple.

When did I say that you should return your Samsung? Hissy fit? Quote me my own post where I say that. That’s right you can’t because no where have I said that. You are literally making up argumentative fantasies in your head and replying at me lmao.

What do you expect my assumption to be when you make statements like "And their fans that eat this up" ?

TBH, that was probably just a typo on your part. I didn't read it as "they're" (as in some fans). Therefore I apologize for my assumption.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
IMO this is another example of apple pulling far ahead in the efficiency department. Yes the other guys SOCs can somewhat keep up with benchmarks but when it comes to real world, they can’t run the chips anywhere close to peak performance for any length of time without a huge battery drain. I think Samsung knew this and had no choice other then putting a 10,000mAh battery in there. (I’m basing this off of the fact the performance is cut in half with the throttling) No one seems to agree but efficiency is king and apple is moping the floor.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I think we can agree that any "underhand" way you are not getting what you paid for and NOT being informed of this is not good, apple , samsung or whoever.....why not give an option like you get with the PS5 or Xbox of various performance modes that you are fully informed of ?

Reactions: tbayrgs and Oohara

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I think we can agree that any "underhand" way you are not getting what you paid for and NOT being informed of this is not good, apple , samsung or whoever.....why not give an option like you get with the PS5 or Xbox of various performance modes that you are fully informed of ?
That would definitely be the way. Sadly wouldn’t squeeze out profit from unaware customers as efficiently though.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I don’t see why people would bring up the old Apple throttling case — this post is about Samsung’s behaviour. The fact that when they renamed a geekbench executable as instagram it scored vastly lower means they are throttling the applications in a huge number of cases, that’s pretty bad.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Banned from Geekbench so the guys who do this for a living have come down hard. I don’t think this has ever happened to an apple product..

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
IMO this is another example of apple pulling far ahead in the efficiency department. Yes the other guys SOCs can somewhat keep up with benchmarks but when it comes to real world, they can’t run the chips anywhere close to peak performance for any length of time without a huge battery drain. I think Samsung knew this and had no choice other then putting a 10,000mAh battery in there. (I’m basing this off of the fact the performance is cut in half with the throttling) No one seems to agree but efficiency is king and apple is moping the floor.
I do agree that chip wise apple are king and always will be. Having full control over everything plays a big factor. That said normal day to day usage most won't see a big difference day to day. Maybe years down the line if you keep devices longer

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
The OP stated that this is 10x worse than what Apple did. Which I highly disagree with.
I did. Because when Apple did this it was to stop iPhones casually rebooting. This is a problem that I suffered from with Android and the reason I moved the Apple: My Nexus 6, barely 18 months old, would reboot at 80% battery the moment I’d do something like fire up Google Maps or Waze.

This was the issue Apple wanted to prevent. The concept behind it was sound, the execution and he total lack of transparency from Apple was a total failure and they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory as a result.

Now, here comes Samsung and - right out the box with zero notification otherwise on brand new devices, they limit a whole slew of applications for no good reason other than ‘but games’ - and they deliberatly and methodically exclude benchmarks apps to apparently further hide this process from the owners.

Their claim was that this was to ‘protect the battery when gaming’ - except this was enabled irrespective of what was being used. Wanted to browse the web? You got hit. Want to use your online banking app? Sure, but that’ll also be slowed down. Need to use GPS? Welcome to Slowdown City. Fire up Geekbench? Hey, welcome to the full power of the phone (the same full power that Samsung won’t give to other applications).

And let’s not forget - this isn’t Samsung’s first rodeo - just 2 odd years ago they were hit for €5m by Italy for a similar stunt (and yes, Apple were hit double for their stupidity).

So yes, this is worse than Apple - Apple at least had a good reason and failed miserably in the execution and transparency. And EVERYTHING was slowed down when their ‘solution’ kicked in.

Samsung were caught out having a service forced on users that very carefully ensured it would remain in the darkness by deliberalty ensuring benchmark apps would not be affected.

And even now they’re back tracking and the Samsung apologists are simplly shrugging their shoulders and saying “but muh games”.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I did. Because when Apple did this it was to stop iPhones casually rebooting. This is a problem that I suffered from with Android and the reason I moved the Apple: My Nexus 6, barely 18 months old, would reboot at 80% battery the moment I’d do something like fire up Google Maps or Waze.

This was the issue Apple wanted to prevent. The concept behind it was sound, the execution and he total lack of transparency from Apple was a total failure and they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory as a result.

Now, here comes Samsung and - right out the box with zero notification otherwise on brand new devices, they limit a whole slew of applications for no good reason other than ‘but games’ - and they deliberatly and methodically exclude benchmarks apps to apparently further hide this process from the owners.

Their claim was that this was to ‘protect the battery when gaming’ - except this was enabled irrespective of what was being used. Wanted to browse the web? You got hit. Want to use your online banking app? Sure, but that’ll also be slowed down. Need to use GPS? Welcome to Slowdown City. Fire up Geekbench? Hey, welcome to the full power of the phone (the same full power that Samsung won’t give to other applications).

And let’s not forget - this isn’t Samsung’s first rodeo - just 2 odd years ago they were hit for €5m by Italy for a similar stunt (and yes, Apple were hit double for their stupidity).

So yes, this is worse than Apple - Apple at least had a good reason and failed miserably in the execution and transparency. And EVERYTHING was slowed down when their ‘solution’ kicked in.

Samsung were caught out having a service forced on users that very carefully ensured it would remain in the darkness by deliberalty ensuring benchmark apps would not be affected.

And even now they’re back tracking and the Samsung apologists are simplly shrugging their shoulders and saying “but muh games”.

Users were complaining about Apple's slow down for multiple YEARS!!!! Apple completely ignored it until sufficient evidence was shown by users. And it started with the 6 line, which was the most sold line ever. The reason behind the slow down is irrelevant, especially since it persuaded many users to upgrade.

Who knows how far Samsung would have gone with throttling apps if they wasn't outed. But the fact it, they have been outed, and quickly. So you can't compare this to Apple's slow down.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Users were complaining about Apple's slow down for multiple YEARS!!!! Apple completely ignored it until sufficient evidence was shown by users. And it started with the 6 line, which was the most sold line ever. The reason behind the slow down is irrelevant, especially since it persuaded many users to upgrade.

Who knows how far Samsung would have gone with throttling apps if they wasn't outed. But the fact it, they have been outed, and quickly. So you can't compare this to Apple's slow down.

You’re right - you can’t compare them. Samsung went extremely scummy for this whereas Apple were just arrogant.

As bad as Apple was (and yes, it was bad), at least they didn’t resort to slowing down BRAND NEW DEVICES with the exception on Benchmark apps… That takes an special level of arrogance - arrogance exhibited by Samsung.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's called whataboutism. I hate it when discussion of a topic turns into that. Once it starts, there's no point in continuing, really.
You’re 100% right. But part of the problem, is the problem itself that this is an Apple centric website first, and anything alternative to that, [like Samsung or Google], is a secondary topic, where you naturally will have people that will interject something Apple related, because Apple being the predominant topic, when everything else is like a sub point to that. Make sense?

I’m not saying who is right or wrong, I’m just indicating that’s the nature of this site operates.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
I don’t see why people would bring up the old Apple throttling case — this post is about Samsung’s behaviour. The fact that when they renamed a geekbench executable as instagram it scored vastly lower means they are throttling the applications in a huge number of cases, that’s pretty bad.
OP wanted to show us that Samsung copy cat Apple at simply everything, not on just the good stuff

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
There are also tests showing that the new ARM cores (the Cortex X2, A710, and A510) on both SoCs (Qualcomm SD8g1 and Samsung Exynos) are actually less efficient than their predecessors (eg. the X2 is less efficient than the X1). Qualcomm's efficiency seems to peak with the SD855, and it goes downhill from that, with each generation being less efficient.

Reactions: MayaUser

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
There are also tests showing that the new ARM cores (the Cortex X2, A710, and A510) on both SoCs (Qualcomm SD8g1 and Samsung Exynos) are actually less efficient than their predecessors (eg. the X2 is less efficient than the X1). Qualcomm's efficiency seems to peak with the SD855, and it goes downhill from that, with each generation being less efficient.
yes that unfortunate and true with real tests. A15 is such an amazing SoC, more efficient than A14, and that avalanche/blizzard core is even more powerful. Until - the brain of the "know how to do SoC" Johny Srouji leaves Apple, that company will be ahead of the rest. Everywhere that Johny Srouji was, for example at Intel, that company thrived at SoC segment

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
samsung has been here before
oh and so has Apple...

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
oh and so has Apple...

What’s that got to do with the battery? Other than a rather failed attempt to score a point…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.