Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Just got my M2 Studio....😁
Does anyone know if Samsung 870 and/or QVO Sata SSD's work in an external enclosure with Ventura and a Mac Studio?

Reason I ask, there are known incompatibilities with cMP (classic Mac Pro) and these drives, but they are 12+ years old.

Additionally would it create a bottleneck with a 2-4 bay enclosure into 1 usb-c port, when accessing different drives simultaneously, i.e. Playing music library and writing to a seperate scratch disk.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Additionally would it create a bottleneck with a 2-4 bay enclosure into 1 usb-c port, when accessing different drives simultaneously, i.e. Playing music library and writing to a seperate scratch disk"

I believe the reasonable assumption is YES, you should expect that when connecting multiple drives through a single USBc connection, that bandwidth will be shared and sometimes limited during simultaneous real-time access...

I would be thinking about replacing SSDs that are now 12 years old...

Reactions: MarkC426

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
"Additionally would it create a bottleneck with a 2-4 bay enclosure into 1 usb-c port, when accessing different drives simultaneously, i.e. Playing music library and writing to a seperate scratch disk"

I believe the reasonable assumption is YES, you should expect that when connecting multiple drives through a single USBc connection, that bandwidth will be shared and sometimes limited during simultaneous real-time access...

I would be thinking about replacing SSDs that are now 12 years old...
I think he was talking about the age of the classic Mac Pro. Otherwise I totally agree.
I would be careful with the QVO though. It really depends on what are you intending to do with the drive, but R/W speed decreases significantly on large transfers. So if you're planning to copy some smaller files from time to time, totally fine, but wouldn't suggest it as a drive to actually work from.

Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
On a similar subject, I just got a Samsung T7 drive.
Should all SSD's (external) these days be in APFS format, for data/backups only?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
handheld asked:
"Should all SSD's (external) these days be in APFS format, for data/backups only?"

I say, "no".

I use APFS ONLY when it MUST be used.
Other than that, I keep ALL my external drives, both HDDs and SSDs, in HFS+.

REASON WHY:
A drive formatted in HFS+ is "reachable" using 3rd party drive maintenance and drive recovery software.
A drive foratted in APFS cannot be maintained/repaired/recovered using anything else other than disk utility, because Apple has yet to release the relevant information to 3rd party developers to create such software.

Examples of where APFS must be used:
An Apple boot disk (of course).
A time machine backup (at least the newer ones)
Some backups created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (such as a backup of an internal boot drive).

But everything else (drives that contain only "data", and are not bootable), I still use HFS+, and will keep using it until it can no longer be used...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have four 2tb Samsung T7's, one 2tb T7 Shield and two 2tb WD Black external SSD's. All APFS formatted, they are fast and have been reliable. Three are permanently connected to my Mini and a couple of them have seen very heavy use over the past 3 years (one has ~60 million small image files as a backup of my website). The others are Carbon Copy Clones. I also have BackBlaze and Time Machine continuous backups to a network hard disk.

APFS is Apple's new standard and has been around long enough for me to trust. I understand your reasons, but am just not too concerned myself.

wdhpgx

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
handheld asked:
"Should all SSD's (external) these days be in APFS format, for data/backups only?"

I say, "no".

I use APFS ONLY when it MUST be used.
Other than that, I keep ALL my external drives, both HDDs and SSDs, in HFS+.

REASON WHY:
A drive formatted in HFS+ is "reachable" using 3rd party drive maintenance and drive recovery software.
A drive foratted in APFS cannot be maintained/repaired/recovered using anything else other than disk utility, because Apple has yet to release the relevant information to 3rd party developers to create such software.

But everything else (drives that contain only "data", and are not bootable), I still use HFS+, and will keep using it until it can no longer be used...
I also continue to format my external drives as HFS+, unless there's a super compelling reason to use APFS. Of course, I also have older macs that won't mount APFS, so I don't want to unnecessarily limit where I can mount a drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: flygbuss

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Examples of where APFS must be used:
An Apple boot disk (of course).
A time machine backup (at least the newer ones)
Some backups created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (such as a backup of an internal boot drive).
Yep, I originally formatted my T7 as HFS+ with partitions, but when I tried a SD clone it wanted to convert to APFS.
I assume it's not a good idea to have different formats on the same drive...?

drmeatball

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
Just got my M2 Studio....😁
Does anyone know if Samsung 870 and/or QVO Sata SSD's work in an external enclosure with Ventura and a Mac Studio?

Reason I ask, there are known incompatibilities with cMP (classic Mac Pro) and these drives, but they are 12+ years old.

Additionally would it create a bottleneck with a 2-4 bay enclosure into 1 usb-c port, when accessing different drives simultaneously, i.e. Playing music library and writing to a seperate scratch disk.

I have an M2 Ultra with 1TB internal for system/apps and an 8TB Samsung QVO SATA mounted as ~Home in a powered external Vantec enclosure. Haven’t had a single issue, works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.