Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniele Chaize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Hi all,

I'm facing an issue that is driving me crazy.
I've a mid 2010 running Mojave 10.14.6 with a single w3530 still (x5690 is coming), 32gb 1333mhz ram, 1tb hdd and a pulse rx 590. I've also a 4k monitor, lg27uk850, which I would use as my main (and only) monitor.

So, shortly:

hdmi output ---> hdmi input lg = 4k@30hz
dp output. ---> dp input= NO SIGNAL
hdmi output on LG + dp output on another fhd monitor= 4k@30hz on LG and 1080p@60hz on secondary monitor

ALL monitor features, like super black, HDR etc are disabled.

Both hdmi and DP cables are certified for 4k@60hz (or at least that's what I find in specs)

I've tried to use SwitchResX, searching for a 60hz useful resolution... NO WAY. the only useful res is 1920x1080@60hz but it makes desktop blurry.

Some users solved this issue taking a dp-->hdmi adaptor, but I don't think this could be useful for me, because even a straight dp-dp cable does not even signal.

Hope the hardware I have (GPUs, cables) are ok in order to avoid waste money or buy/sell other stuff.
I attach some spec and I thank you all in advance!!!

D.
rx spec.jpg
switchresx.jpg

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
On my LG I had to turn on an option in the monitor's menu to make it work at 4k@60 over HDMI... can't recall which one atm. HDMI link something. Check yours.
Also, I had to get a proper HDMI 2.0 cable. The previous one was 1.4 but marketed to be such good quuality it was able to do 4k@60... and that was a lie.

Daniele Chaize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Then, my hdmi cable with my mbp 2018 and original apple adapter... again 4k@30hz. must be the cable, haven't thought bout doing this before ?
Bought another one 8k@60/4k@120 online, will be delivered tomorrow. Let you know. Thank you

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I use the J5Create adapter. works well.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I had issues with my RX590 connecting to my Samsung 27” 4K. Turned out the cheap DP cable I purchased was the problem (but worked on a store PC) so I shelled out a few dollars more for a better quality one.

Daniele Chaize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
The fact is that with a dp cable I get "NO SIGNAL". think this is a good cable 4k@60hz/2k@165hz so in which way an adapter dp-hdmi or a better cable could work if seems that dp output on my vga is dead?

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
I use the J5Create adapter. works well.

Nope. This is only HDMI 1.4. You need 2.0 to get 4k@60.

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
On my monitor (27UD68) the option is called "HDMI ULTRA HD DEEP COLOR". Make sure it's ON.
Also, try to disable HDR if you can.

Daniele Chaize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Good! It's a sign the cable can't carry the signal anymore. Get the new cable and let us know.
Of course I can't promise anything :D

New cable (8k HDMI) and deep color feature enabled I finally have 4k@60. great!!
I only have a doubt: why dp output doesn't work at all...

anyway, thank to you all!

Reactions: JedNZ

Daniele Chaize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Update:

It works, no doubt... not in boot phase. I mean. If I switch on my mp can't see anything, even login. I have to turn off HDMI features on my monitor, replug the cable (vga side), login, then enable hdmi feature, replug again the cable and it works. Curious...

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Update:

It works, no doubt... not in boot phase. I mean. If I switch on my mp can't see anything, even login. I have to turn off HDMI features on my monitor, replug the cable (vga side), login, then enable hdmi feature, replug again the cable and it works. Curious...
Your GPU is flashed? PC GPUs don't output anything to the display until the macOS GPU drivers are loaded at almost the end of boot process.

Daniele Chaize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Not flashed. I mean, i know in boot ohase i can t see anything. But i still can t see anyrhing even if login screen is ready. To see it i have to plug replug rereplug ecc. that s all

abstrato

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
A bit of a long shot, but what BootRom are you running?
Hello. Need some help. I have a mac pro 2009 flashed to 5.1 and i bought a sapphire pulse radeon RX590 to use in it. My boot ROM version is MP51.007F.B03. I tried to use the card in Sierra, it didnt recognized. Then i upgraded to Mojave, and it didn´t work too. I put my original Nvidia GT120 card and checked the status. The system did not recognize my 590 card. My question is: does it works in my machine? Is there anything i should/could do to use it, or is it better to change to a RX580? Can i update my boot ROM version, and should i do it?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2020-12-11 às 09.38.45.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-12-11 às 09.38.45.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 166

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
The Pulse RX590 works beautifully in my cMP so should work in yours.

Upgrade to the latest Boot Rom 144.0.0.0.0 first anyway as a starter. Before you upgrade, use RomTool to back up your Rom.

You won’t get graphic acceleration in Sierra or High Sierra if I recall correctly. I have macOS 10.14.6 running on my cMP and it works beautifully. I use the RefindPlus / OpenCore Chainloader which gives me boot screens, GPU Hardware Acceleration (encoding/deciding HEVC and H265 in FCPX), Legacy Windows and now experimenting with macOS 10.15 Catalina and soon BigSur.

Refer to this thread to see what else you can do to upgrade your system.

abstrato

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
The Pulse RX590 works beautifully in my cMP so should work in yours.

Upgrade to the latest Boot Rom 144.0.0.0.0 first anyway as a starter. Before you upgrade, use RomTool to back up your Rom.

You won’t get graphic acceleration in Sierra or High Sierra if I recall correctly. I have macOS 10.14.6 running on my cMP and it works beautifully. I use the RefindPlus / OpenCore Chainloader which gives me boot screens, GPU Hardware Acceleration (encoding/deciding HEVC and H265 in FCPX), Legacy Windows and now experimenting with macOS 10.15 Catalina and soon BigSur.

Refer to this thread to see what else you can do to upgrade your system.
Thanks a lot my friend. One friend suggested me to make a boot like a hackintosh, so i´ll have an original Apple hackintosh hahahaha, and then it could recognize my card. I don´t know where to find the boot rom and how to make the upgrade. As i told, my macpro is 2009, and i upgrraded it to 5.1, got 2 hexacore, but i don´tknow how to upgrade it. I´ll try to find this information so i can try your suggestion.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Your friend is likely referring to either OpenCore or RefindPlus/OpenCore.
It’s all in the links in my post above, most of which are Stickies at the start of the Mac Pro section of this forum.

Reactions: abstrato

abstrato

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Your friend is likely referring to either OpenCore or RefindPlus/OpenCore.
It’s all in the links in my post above, most of which are Stickies at the start of the Mac Pro section of this forum.
Thanks a lot for all your support. After 7 pages of reading my Mac Pro is runnig beautifull with this Sapphire RX 590. The instructions in the beggining of the discussion are amazing. The information about the BootROM versions and how to upgrade them using the MacOS installers are very usefull. THANK YOU ALL!!

Reactions: JedNZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.