Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
do you know where can i find a flash service on internet please?

If for card rescue, no idea.

I still believe you have one good ROM on the card. However, I am not sure if your card still able to work properly (due to plug / pull cables when power ON.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hi you all friend, after almost 10 month later, i've just think about to give a shot again on this card, and this time i suceed, one the default switch, i flashed pc rom which downloaded from techpower, but it's not stable, when i using the gpu test it freezed screen, then turn blue and then black, but i did flash mac version on the second rom with "s" light on, i can use it normally on mac pro, only the up dvi port doesn't work, but anyone has an original pc rom please? thanks
[doublepost=1539301836][/doublepost]
No. the R9 280X is the same as the HD 7970.

Read the first page of the Netkas thread
i read the netkas topic, but it did said how to grab an efi from mac rom, so i can't follow the steps, i saw you have a sapphire 280X, could you send me the rom please if it's mac version? : investaparis@gmail.com, thank you so much.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
No, I have a Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 3gb.

The R9 280X is an upgraded model of my 7970.

I suggest that you spend a lot more time over at netkas .. read every page .. . as we did.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=5619.0

You have to make a rom that is ONLY for your brand and model of GPU. DOn't use other people's ROMS.

Study how to make use the script that Netkas gave us to help us make a ROM by ourselves.

Especially learn about ' device I.D

Also, why did you connect / remove power cables while the Mac pro was powered up ? That is suicidal.

Always, shut own your Mac Pro & remove the power cable before you do anything you don't have experience with.

Reactions: crjackson2134

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
No, I have a Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 3gb.

The R9 280X is an upgraded model of my 7970.

I suggest that you spend a lot more time over at netkas .. read every page .. . as we did.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=5619.0

You have to make a rom that is ONLY for your brand and model of GPU. DOn't use other people's ROMS.

Study how to make use the script that Netkas gave us to help us make a ROM by ourselves.

Especially learn about ' device I.D

Also, why did you connect / remove power cables while the Mac pro was powered up ? That is suicidal.

Always, shut own your Mac Pro & remove the power cable before you do anything you don't have experience with.

Hi thank you for your reply, I've read the topic but nothing explain how to grab the efi (not the whole rom) from Mac card, so I can follow the rest steps to funion the efi with my propre rom, can you show me that please?

the reason to unplug the cable with the Mac power on, because I could not flash the rom, when someone told maybe the it is because still using the card, so I unplug it to let system don't use it, to see if I can flash, I did help, but after flashed card, I can't restart it anymore, strangely I did it after 10 month without using the card

thank you again for your advice, still need the way to get the efi part to my own rom

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
=================================================
You should make a SIG - go to your Macrumors Profile and make a SIG to tell us which model of cMP. which GPU, etc.
you have.

ROM DUMP

To dump the ROM ( assuming that you have not already overwritten the original ROM )

First shutdown your cMP and set the " BIOS SWITCH " to position 2 ( to the right side )

============================================

1.0 Go to https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/
Download GPU-Z

1.1 Install GPU-Z into Win 7, 8, or 8,1

1.2. Use GPU-Z to DUMP your R9 280X rom to a USB stick.

=============================================

2.0. Go to https://www.techpowerup.com/download/bios-flashing/
Download ATI Winflash
2.1. Install ATI Winflash to Win 7, 8 or 8,1

2.2. ATI Winflash will be used to flash the ROM you create with the Netkas script to your R9 280X

=====================================
4. I think that the Device ID for the R9 280X is 6798 ( search at Netkas )

Now you can run the Netkas script but you will also have to use your brain ( as I had to ) to setup the script to run correctly.

NOTE :
If you have ALREADY flashed someone else's R9 280 X ROM to your card. . . you have a real problem.

The whole point of using the Netkas script is to . ..

(1) Dump YOUR card's ROM and SAVE it to somewhere safe.

(2) Only flash YOUR dumped & SAVED ROM.

EDIT : After a successsful flash you will have TWO roms ( 1) Your original DUMPED rom for future re-flashing . (2) Your successfully EFI flashed rom
The rest is up to you.

Everything you need to know is in the Netkas thread. http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html

Read all 44 pages.

Last edited:
Reactions: hwojtek

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
If you read the netkas forum, you'd surely find the script that does just that.

thank you for your reply, i did recherche for days on netkas before ask you all, if i can find any clue i wont ask, i though here is forum where people shares and helps, if you can remember any useful information about to grab efi, please give a link, thank you so much.
[doublepost=1539821099][/doublepost]
You should make a SIG - go to your Macrumors Profile and make a SIG to tell us which model of cMP. which GPU, etc.
you have.

ROM DUMP

To dump the ROM ( assuming that you have not already overwritten the original ROM )

First shutdown your cMP and set the " BIOS SWITCH " to position 2 ( to the right side )

============================================

1.0 Go to https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/
Download GPU-Z

1.1 Install GPU-Z into Win 7, 8, or 8,1

1.2. Use GPU-Z to DUMP your R9 280X rom to a USB stick.

2.0. Go to https://www.techpowerup.com/download/bios-flashing/
Download ATI Winflash
2.1. Install ATI Winflash to Win 7, 8 or 8,1

2.2. ATI Winflash will be used to flash the ROM you create with the Netkas script to your R9 280X

4. I think that the Device ID for the R9 280X is 6798 ( search at Netkas )

Now you can run the Netkas script but you will also have to use your brain ( as I had to ) to setup the script to run correctly.

NOTE :
If you have ALREADY flashed someone else's R9 280 X ROM to your card. . . you have a real problem.

The whole point of using the Netkas script is to . ..

(1) Dump YOUR card's ROM and SAVE it to somewhere safe.

(2) Only flash YOUR dumped & SAVED ROM.

EDIT : After a successsful flash you will have TWO roms ( 1) Your original DUMPED rom for future re-flashing . (2) Your successfully EFI flashed rom
The rest is up to you.

Everything you need to know is in the Netkas thread. http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html

Read all 44 pages.

you've repeat the procedure how to save a non efi rom and how to combine and flash the rom, but nothing concerning get a efi from a mac rom, i've read all 44 pages nothing about detail how to grab a efi from mac rom, could you be kind to give out a link please? thank you sooooooo much.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Read my post again , , then boot into Windows 7 or 8,1 then use GPU-Z to DUMP your rom.

I install Windows 7 on it's own, separate spinner harddrive .. boot into it holding the Option key at startup. . it takes a while to start but it eventually does start up.

Windows7 is easier to set up than WIN. 8,1 ( IN MY OPINION ).

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Read my post again , , then boot into Windows 7 or 8,1 then use GPU-Z to DUMP your rom.

I install Windows 7 on it's own, separate spinner harddrive .. boot into it holding the Option key at startup. . it takes a while to start but it eventually does start up.

Windows7 is easier to set up than WIN. 8,1 ( IN MY OPINION ).

i have read it three times more, but could you time me two did you get the efi flashed rom? the basic of netkas scrips is merge efi file and the original rom, so i do have original rom, and atiflash, one mac pro and one pc with window 7, tell me which part did you mention to get the efi file please?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
i have read it three times more, but could you time me two did you get the efi flashed rom? the basic of netkas scrips is merge efi file and the original rom, so i do have original rom, and atiflash, one mac pro and one pc with window 7, tell me which part did you mention to get the efi file please?

Did you actually download the script yet? That's included in the script package.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
parisinvest.

==========================
I strongly suggest that you print this ( and # post 34 ) out.
==========================

1. Shut down the Mac Pro.

2. Set your BIOS switch to 'LEGACY' ( position 2 =. right side position

3. Download the Netkas script.

===========================

4. Install Win 7 on a spare HDD

5. Boot into Win 7 & Run GPU-Z to DUMP your ROM. ( save the ROM in a safe place ! perhaps to a USB Memory stick )

6. Shut down & restart your cMP into OS X

7. Now you can run the Netkas script with a COPY of the DUMPED rom.

================================

8. Now you have your new EFI rom.

9. Shut down & boot into Win 7 again.

10. Run ATI Winflash. & flash your NEW ROM to your card.

==========================================

That's it.

If you cannot follow the above instructions . . give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.