Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnorthodoxError

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Would like to know what I can do to replace the screen. Do you get two accidental repairs per Applecare to use or would I have to pay a large sum on money like I didn't have Applecare to begin with?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Would like to know what I can do to replace the screen. Do you get two accidental repairs per Applecare to use or would I have to pay a large sum on money like I didn't have Applecare to begin with?

I wouldn’t waste apple care on a scratch. Just live with it and move on. It’s life. It will be $30 if you have apple care plus if you’re so inclined to do it

UnorthodoxError

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
You probably dropped it or have sand in your pockets. Otherwise your story doesn’t add up.
Not going to waste my time trying to explain to Apple why I should get a free screen replacement when everyone knows fine well they will say that it was damage which is not covered.

Hence why I have asked about doing it on the accidental section of AppleCare.

If anyone thinks that Apple would even hear me out then I might go ask otherwise I will have to go with paying for the accidental damage part.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Not going to waste my time trying to explain to Apple why I should get a free screen replacement when everyone knows fine well they will say that it was damage which is not covered.

Hence why I have asked about doing it on the accidental section of AppleCare.

If anyone thinks that Apple would even hear me out then I might go ask otherwise I will have to go with paying for the accidental damage part.

As I stated they won’t and also you’re story still doesn’t add up . No phone if mine has ever scratched up that bad to have a physical scratch from being in my pockets. Those micro scratches on that coating sure but that’s it. There isn’t a way for it to happen unless you have something harder then a 7 on the hardness scale ( I think 7)

UnorthodoxError

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
As I stated they won’t and also you’re story still doesn’t add up . No phone if mine has ever scratched up that bad to have a physical scratch from being in my pockets. Those micro scratches on that coating sure but that’s it. There isn’t a way for it to happen unless you have something harder then a 7 on the hardness scale ( I think 7)
Don't know how my story doesn't add up considering the amount of stories and articles being written about the quaility of the iPhone X screen and how it handles scratches are insane.

Only need to search "iPhone X scratch" on this website and my point is proven.

I've had an iPhone ever since iPhone 3G and never have a screen scratch so easily.

Well it's good to know I can get it repaired through the accidental part. May have to do this in the next couple of days.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Don't know how my story doesn't add up considering the amount of stories and articles being written about the quaility of the iPhone X screen and how it handles scratches are insane.

Only need to search "iPhone X scratch" on this website and my point is proven.

I've had an iPhone ever since iPhone 3G and never have a screen scratch so easily.

Well it's good to know I can get it repaired through the accidental part. May have to do this in the next couple of days.

Well myself have owned this phone for a month and two friends who have owned it since December and none of ours are deep scratches like you proclaim.

iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
Samsung Galaxy S2 skyrocket
s3
S4
Note 3
Note 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 6
Note 8
Google Pixel XL
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone X

Besides my iPhone 4 everyone has been or is scratch free of any significance. The iPhone 4 was basically beaten up and at the end of the day only a scratch on the bezel below where the home button is.

All phones uses glass with a few using plastic ( Motorola used it in one of their newer phones calling it shatter proof which it was ) .

So you believe the internet ? God if I ever believed the internet for everything then Facebook is your best source

If you want to hide behind these people claiming it’s easy go ahead but it’s your fault if you did something to it .

Reactions: Azzin

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
In my opinion, an iPhone X which is barely 3 weeks old shouldn't be scratching so deep that it affects every viewing angle when it's being kept in a pocket with nothing else.
I kept mine without a screen protector or case for over 4 months and never got a scratch on it. I put a glass screen protector on it a couple months ago, but still no case. Pretty much flawless still.

Clearly you did something, or had some crap in your pocket that caused that scratch. These screens do not scratch THAT easily, nor do these screens randomly scratch themselves.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I kept mine without a screen protector or case for over 4 months and never got a scratch on it. I put a glass screen protector on it a couple months ago, but still no case. Pretty much flawless still.

Clearly you did something, or had some crap in your pocket that caused that scratch. These screens do not scratch THAT easily, nor do these screens randomly scratch themselves.

I’ve said it a few times. He just can’t accept it’s his fault and looking to blame Apple. Just let him lol.

UnorthodoxError

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Well myself have owned this phone for a month and two friends who have owned it since December and none of ours are deep scratches like you proclaim.

iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
Samsung Galaxy S2 skyrocket
s3
S4
Note 3
Note 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 6
Note 8
Google Pixel XL
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone X

Besides my iPhone 4 everyone has been or is scratch free of any significance. The iPhone 4 was basically beaten up and at the end of the day only a scratch on the bezel below where the home button is.

All phones uses glass with a few using plastic ( Motorola used it in one of their newer phones calling it shatter proof which it was ) .

So you believe the internet ? God if I ever believed the internet for everything then Facebook is your best source

If you want to hide behind these people claiming it’s easy go ahead but it’s your fault if you did something to it .
Bro are you ok? Every reply you make whether it be on this thread or another is so pessimistic.

When I said articles and posts this also meant reputable sources like review sites, newspapers and offical vendors.

You put a negative twist on everything you say which makes me think something or someone has wronged you in your life.

Always take things off the interent with a pinch a salt but when the evidence they suggest holds some weight, it's hard to deny it's true.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
I’ve said it a few times. He just can’t accept it’s his fault and looking to blame Apple. Just let him lol.
It's akin to saying "****, why is there a dent in my car when I ran into that pole? Can't believe Honda makes cars that dent".
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
:rolleyes:
Pro-tip to OP. If you're worried about scratches, use a screen protector. If the scratch bothers you, go get it replaced. THEN PUT A SCREEN PROTECTOR ON. Easy. You're welcome.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Bro are you ok? Every reply you make whether it be on this thread or another is so pessimistic.

When I said articles and posts this also meant reputable sources like review sites, newspapers and offical vendors.

You put a negative twist on everything you say which makes me think something or someone has wronged you in your life.

Always take things off the interent with a pinch a salt but when the evidence they suggest holds some weight, it's hard to deny it's true.

The bigger question is are you ok? You’re so called evidence has no weight . It’s glass “bro”. It’s your fault and it’s ok. Just man up and deal with it . Fix it or not idc . Your money down the drain to fix a problem you caused.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

We all have our good days and bad days.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Scratches can only be caused by materials with an equal or higher hardness on the Mohs scale. This is scientific fact and has nothing to do with "bad quality" of the screen, no matter what the dumb reviews say. Most Internet reviewers are Art school dropouts and have no clue about science like this. All glass is glass, and has the same hardness. Apple might be able to add a little doping to make it slightly harder, but it's still no match for a grain of sand which has the same hardness, and will scratch glass. A single grain of sand in your pocket will cause a scratch.

Enough arguing about whether it will scratch. It will in the above-listed scenario and that's that. You should really try to see what it looks like with a screen protector first, as that could cover it enough to resolve the problem. If not, then you'd have to use your Apple Care or just live with it. Up to you.

Reactions: Azzin

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Unless the scratch is extremely deep, I would just put a tempered glass screen protector on it it to cover it up and figure out what to do with it later.. I wouldn’t waste an AppleCare+ accidental damage replacement on it until the coverage is about to run out

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If your screen is scratched, and you choose not to replace the display, you might as well utilize a screen protector. Its You’re only method to visibly hide the scratches and protect your device moving forward. You really only have two options, either the screen protector or have the display replaced.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
You damaged the screen. It didn't do it by itself.

Yes, you can request that they replace the screen or device and pay your deductible, using one of your incidents. I would save them for bigger things though.

Use your phone and enjoy it.

Reactions: crf8

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018

Does the scratch compromise the water resistance? If yes than your data may be at risk if during a heavy rain the water comes into contact with internal components.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I don't think they cover cosmetic marks like screen scratches under AppleCare +.

OP, your X got a scratched screen, while it was in your possession, own your problem.

Either; ask Apple if it's covered under AC+ and then make a decision of you want to use one of your claims on a scratched screen, or, put a screen protector on it and move on.

[Edit] -
  • AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1).
https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_uk_kfd.html

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ll never understand the people that would be bothered by a scratch on their screen yet they don’t use a screen protector.

Re-read what the OP said in Post #8. For reference, they have owned almost every iPhone and have not had a display issue until the iPhone X. For the record, a lot of members (Including started threads) have stepped forward and said that the iPhone X has scratched far more easily over other iPhones, which could be due to a number of things or a change in the Oleophobic coating. I’m Sure others are well aware they could use a screen protector before this happened, but their past iPhones don’t reflect the iPhone X display scratching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.