Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68030
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Re-read what the OP said in Post #8. For reference, they have owned almost every iPhone and have not had a display issue until the iPhone X. For the record, a lot of members (Including started threads) have stepped forward and said that the iPhone X has scratched far more easily over other iPhones, which could be due to a number of things or a change in the Oleophobic coating. I’m Sure others are well aware they could use a screen protector before this happened, but their past iPhones don’t reflect the iPhone X display scratching.
None of that negates the fact that glass can be scratched and if you’re gonna be bothered by a scratch on your screen, you better put a protector on it.
The fact that previous phones didn’t get scratched just shows some good luck. One piece of sand/grit in your pocket is all it takes.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Scratches can only be caused by materials with an equal or higher hardness on the Mohs scale. This is scientific fact and has nothing to do with "bad quality" of the screen, no matter what the dumb reviews say. Most Internet reviewers are Art school dropouts and have no clue about science like this. All glass is glass, and has the same hardness. Apple might be able to add a little doping to make it slightly harder, but it's still no match for a grain of sand which has the same hardness, and will scratch glass. A single grain of sand in your pocket will cause a scratch.

Enough arguing about whether it will scratch. It will in the above-listed scenario and that's that. You should really try to see what it looks like with a screen protector first, as that could cover it enough to resolve the problem. If not, then you'd have to use your Apple Care or just live with it. Up to you.

All glass is glass but not all glass is equal. Differences in formulation and tempering can change the characteristics of the glass. Adding boron trioxide for example, significantly reduces the thermal expansion rate. Tempering the glass will increase its hardness AND brittleness. Hardness is not the same as brittleness. Hard materials can have a low resistance to impact. Diamond is brittle and breaks on impact but pieces are hard as they don't change shape. Hence Diamond is said to be one of the hardest minerals.

A scratch test is assessing a material's fracture toughness, not its hardness nor strength properties. It assesses the hardness and strength only in cases where the area of contact between the scratching implement and the material is so small that an indentation is made. Diamond can be affected by erosive and abrasive wear. Erosive wear takes place when a stream of particles hit a surface. When particles hit the surface of brittle materials it promotes brittle fracture. Abrasive wear is caused by hard particles or sharp tips on a surface. The loss of material through chips forming through brittle fracture or fatigue.

So although "Scratches™" can only be caused by materials with an equal or higher hardness softer minerals can still cause a hard mineral to fracture, but most people would call it a scratch.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't think they cover cosmetic marks like screen scratches under AppleCare +.

OP, your X got a scratched screen, while it was in your possession, own your problem.

Either; ask Apple if it's covered under AC+ and then make a decision of you want to use one of your claims on a scratched screen, or, put a screen protector on it and move on.

[Edit] -
  • AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1).
https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_uk_kfd.html

I mean yes but if it bothers him that much he could say umm accidentally drop it or use a hammer to crack the screen . *

* don’t condone these actions but just statements of possible ways a person can get it fixed abusing the system

Reactions: Vermifuge

UnorthodoxError

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
You damaged the screen. It didn't do it by itself.

Yes, you can request that they replace the screen or device and pay your deductible, using one of your incidents. I would save them for bigger things though.

Use your phone and enjoy it.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for as an answer.

Reactions: Vermifuge

Ljhugh06

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2018
My iPhone X Max screen scratched 2nd day I owned it. Before I put the screen protector on, it scratched 3 small deep scratched by laying it face down on a table a few times. First time in 10 years owning smartphones that I scratched a screen. Must use screen protectors is the lessened learned.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't think they cover cosmetic marks like screen scratches under AppleCare +.

OP, your X got a scratched screen, while it was in your possession, own your problem.

Either; ask Apple if it's covered under AC+ and then make a decision of you want to use one of your claims on a scratched screen, or, put a screen protector on it and move on.

[Edit] -
  • AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1).
https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_uk_kfd.html

It does though really. If you’re accepting to use a claim and pay for the fix you can easily just drop the phone on the ground and problem solved you have a broken screen.

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
Would like to know what I can do to replace the screen. Do you get two accidental repairs per Applecare to use or would I have to pay a large sum on money like I didn't have Applecare to begin with?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Doesn't AppleCare have documentation that explains all of this? Why not go read that and immediately have your answer instead of posting the question here and waiting for others to answer it for you?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
Don't know how my story doesn't add up considering the amount of stories and articles being written about the quaility of the iPhone X screen and how it handles scratches are insane.

Only need to search "iPhone X scratch" on this website and my point is proven.

I've had an iPhone ever since iPhone 3G and never have a screen scratch so easily.

Well it's good to know I can get it repaired through the accidental part. May have to do this in the next couple of days.
He's saying there had to be sand or a drop. He's right. Phones just don't develop phantom scratches. Something needs to be hard to scratch glass. You could have even scratched it by wiping your display with a microfiber cloth that had a spec of sand on it, or a spec of sand that you thought was dust..

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
My iPhone X Max screen scratched 2nd day I owned it. Before I put the screen protector on, it scratched 3 small deep scratched by laying it face down on a table a few times. First time in 10 years owning smartphones that I scratched a screen. Must use screen protectors is the lessened learned.
Why would you put any phone face down on a hard surface? I never understood people doing this.

Jsassu27

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
New Britain
Not going to waste my time trying to explain to Apple why I should get a free screen replacement when everyone knows fine well they will say that it was damage which is not covered.

Hence why I have asked about doing it on the accidental section of AppleCare.

If anyone thinks that Apple would even hear me out then I might go ask otherwise I will have to go with paying for the accidental damage part.

If your device was experiencing some hardware related issue such as wifi dropping randomly or weird power off related issues that happen randomly then technically you're covered by apples 1 year warranty and they would just swap the device for you on the spot with a factory refurbished model. Or if bluetooth issues were causing devices to constantly disconnect, or any other hardware related issue which Apple has to take your word for then you would be entitled to a replacement on the spot. I've experienced these issues with every iPhone I've ever had after some time and typical wear and tear that's inevitable and Apple has always taken care of the problem with a refurbished device.

The device is essentially a brand new phone and all of the hardware which is viewable such as the casing and screen, buttons, speakers, and ports are all brand new and unused. The refurbished hardware is found inside the device and has been inspected and reworked to ensure that it's as good as a new component. If you put a refurbished device next to an identical device fresh out of the box you count tell the difference if you tried.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68030
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
The device is essentially a brand new phone and all of the hardware which is viewable such as the casing and screen, buttons, speakers, and ports are all brand new and unused...
It was a brand new phone a year ago when the OP made the post you're replying to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.