Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdizzle188

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2020
Good evening to the community,

I hope you're all well,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm somewhat rather frustrated with today's iPhone set up activity of the application of a screen protector or should I say 4 🤣

I've been trying the mous hybrid screen protectors and whilst the thinness of the film is what I was wanting every single time I've ended up with a single errant dust particle! Problem is with these protectors the old lift it up with a bit of tape and use the dust removal sticker to get rid of the dust doesn't work, the adhesive is just to strong so when lifting the protector it damages the adhesive layer underneath.

Ideally I'd want a matte one, but these seemed to have died a death since the dynamic island

So I put it to the macrumours community to help me decide my iPhones fate....

Do I go without as the phone is in a leather slip pouch anyway.

Do I persevere and try the Belkin Screen Force glass protectors I have on order.

Do I try using a 2 step automotive ceramic coating with a base and topcoat?

Apart from the screen protector drama, the 15 Pro Max weight difference is outstanding!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you're in such a dusty environment, then do everything upside down. Clean the phone face down, remove the adhesive side face down, and install with the phone face down. This technique relies on using a mounting frame.

Reactions: Cerneka

Jdizzle188

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2020
If you're in such a dusty environment, then do everything upside down. Clean the phone face down, remove the adhesive side face down, and install with the phone face down. This technique relies on using a mounting frame.
Honestly it couldn't be more dust free if I tried!

Jdizzle188

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2020
I’ve never used a screen protector and never will and never have scratched any of my iPhone screens.
Other people think they are important and treat their iPhone more roughly.
Might I ask what case you use? I like the thought of using the iPhone without a screen protector it's on a previous matte screen protector I notice the finish get rubbed off from the material of the pull tab

Chynonyno

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
I only had the iPhone 1 day without a screen protector and I already got a grated micro, I don't understand how.

He was not exposed to keys, blows and chafing.

I currently have a Sparing and I am quite satisfied.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Buy a cheap screen protector. Expensive ones do give a guarantee that if they start coming off, you get one for free. In my experience, Belkins I have used two times on my 12PM came off within few weeks. But the cheap ones stayed until they broke when I dropped my phone.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I have a 14 Pro Max but I don’t think that really makes a difference when it comes to screen protectors.

I use the cheapest screen protector that has an installation tray included. There’s not much difference between a $50 screen protector and a $10 screen protector other than how much money the manufacturer and retailer is making off of you. I’m guessing they both cost around $1 to make.

As to the dust, you’re not going to ever win that battle. There is always going to be some tiny particle if you look close enough or at least that’s my experience. I’ve used the trick where you put it on in the bathroom after turning on the shower for steam. I think that helps but you have to dissipate some of the steam first or you’ll get tiny water spots underneath the screen protector.

My fix for this is just realizing nothing is perfect. If you stare at most things long enough, you’re going to find some sort of defect.

Isaiah408

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2020
I have a 14 Pro Max but I don’t think that really makes a difference when it comes to screen protectors.

I use the cheapest screen protector that has an installation tray included. There’s not much difference between a $50 screen protector and a $10 screen protector other than how much money the manufacturer and retailer is making off of you. I’m guessing they both cost around $1 to make.

As to the dust, you’re not going to ever win that battle. There is always going to be some tiny particle if you look close enough or at least that’s my experience. I’ve used the trick where you put it on in the bathroom after turning on the shower for steam. I think that helps but you have to dissipate some of the steam first or you’ll get tiny water spots underneath the screen protector.

My fix for this is just realizing nothing is perfect. If you stare at most things long enough, you’re going to find some sort of defect.
I second this method of applying screen protectors. In the bathroom with a little steam from the shower running. Seems to take the dust out of the air.

Having said that, I haven't used a screen protector since Apple introduced Ceramic Shield with the iPhone 12. No scratches in my experience, and I find the phone much more pleasant to use.

Coconutx

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
I'm using a JETech pack of three for my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Always down to the last one, one piece of dust. I'm messed up very OCD. Always, the last one goes on perfect, with no dust or bubbles. Last week my screen protector cracked. 😂 purchased another JETech pack of three. This time second try was perfect. The screen protectors are a pain in the backside to get on without any dust sometimes.
I look like a bloody weirdo holding a touch and some stick tape checking the screen for any dust particles before slapping on my screen protector I literally can spend upto 30 minutes before putting one on also messed up with a dust underneath. 😂 No heck way I'm spending over £20 for a screen protector the limit for me is £8.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
Until my 14P I always used Zagg glass screen protectors and they came with trays to help put the screen protector on perfectly. And a lifetime warranty so if I truly screwed it up I could get another easily.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Since I got my 13 mini and ever-renewing AppleCare+, I’m in camp naked.

But, if dust is your problem … I’ve seen instructions in the past for how to turn your bathroom into an impromptu cleanroom. The big idea is that the steam from the shower precipitates out all the dust.

I don’t remember all the details and I’m not an engineer so wouldn’t try to pretend to reinvent them. But perhaps you can do the research on your own.

Before I went naked, I only used screen protectors that I bought at an Apple Store and had them apply in-store. I not only never had a problem with dust getting under them, the shortest any of them lasted was a couple years.

(Worth noting is that the screen replacement fee with AppleCare+ is less than the cost of a screen protector. Also worth noting is that the naked screen is near-perfect, with only a couple micro-scratches that are only visible when the display is off and the angle of the light is exactly right; a screen protector by now would show more wear.)

b&

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I have a 15 PM and use the Torras Diamond Shield on mine. The installation bracket is fantastic. I always had screen protectors that looked like kaka until the Torras. Here's a link to the one I bought:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Good evening to the community,

I hope you're all well,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm somewhat rather frustrated with today's iPhone set up activity of the application of a screen protector or should I say 4 🤣

I've been trying the mous hybrid screen protectors and whilst the thinness of the film is what I was wanting every single time I've ended up with a single errant dust particle! Problem is with these protectors the old lift it up with a bit of tape and use the dust removal sticker to get rid of the dust doesn't work, the adhesive is just to strong so when lifting the protector it damages the adhesive layer underneath.

Ideally I'd want a matte one, but these seemed to have died a death since the dynamic island

So I put it to the macrumours community to help me decide my iPhones fate....

Do I go without as the phone is in a leather slip pouch anyway.

Do I persevere and try the Belkin Screen Force glass protectors I have on order.

Do I try using a 2 step automotive ceramic coating with a base and topcoat?

Apart from the screen protector drama, the 15 Pro Max weight difference is outstanding!
Never used a screen protector and never will. YMMV

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I use the Mothca anti-glare glass. It’s awesome, no fingerprints and no harsh reflection. A very pleasant look and feel

Mothca 2 Pack Matte Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 15 Pro Max[6.7 inch] + 2 Pack Camera Lens Protector, Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint Case Friendly Tempered Glass Film, Bubble Free, Smooth as Silk https://www.amazon.com/Mothca-Protector-Anti-Glare-Anti-Fingerprint-Friendly/dp/B0CDLT8VD5

IMG_3224.jpeg

Reactions: leifp

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I use Ghost Armor, a matte film. It… requires adjusting to. Still debating picking up a matte glass protector like @ToddH has. I often go without screen protection and invariably have scratched screens. Must be the cloth tissue it shares a pocket with…

I don’t really use the iPhone enough to care too much about the screen (I rarely game, don’t watch videos or browse, don’t video call, etc) as it’s mainly a note-taking and photography tool. But I do care about glossy (shudder), scratches (annoyances), and feel… that last works against screen protectors…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.