Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Love this feature, and set it up so my 8yr old has a limit on youtube/netflix per day. Would love to be able to force all devices to lock-up manually though. Dinner time? Press a button on my iphone and make their iphone/ipad to lock up with maybe a message telling them "dinner time guys, get downstairs!". Would be an awesome addition. There's no way to force downtime right now is there?

Reactions: a reader

a reader

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2018
Love this feature, and set it up so my 8yr old has a limit on youtube/netflix per day. Would love to be able to force all devices to lock-up manually though. Dinner time? Press a button on my iphone and make their iphone/ipad to lock up with maybe a message telling them "dinner time guys, get downstairs!". Would be an awesome addition. There's no way to force downtime right now is there?
I would love that too! As far as I can tell, it looks like Downtime has to be scheduled each time. It would be so nice to have a “now” or “for the next __ minutes/hours” option.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

Can you cut your WiFi through your Internet Service Provider short during dinner time? I do that to my 6.5yo everyday for dinner, so she know when it’s time for dinner and then her cut off time kicks in before bed so she know it’s bedtime.

Reactions: a reader

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
I just noticed that on my daughter's ipad, the "apple support" app is apparently being used for over 50mins/day...but the app isn't installed, when I search for it on the apple store, it gives me the option to download it. Anyone?

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I was rather annoyed that it took more than a second to jump through its hoops enough to finally be able to disable it.

Now that it is disabled I'm having no issues with it... :)

Reactions: bluecoast

JenE1975

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
On beta 1,2 and 3, I was able to see both my wife and my kid under "family" in screen time.
On Beta 4 my wife suddenly disappeared after few days, and now we are in beta 5 and she still don’t show anymore.
We have tried to turn of and on again , and even deleted her from family and added her again, but I still only see my kid there. Anyone else have that issue?
Or is it something apple have changed?
[doublepost=1538749456][/doublepost]We too have family sharing & both my husband & I can only see our daughter. In order to see him I would have to change his status in the family from a parent to a child, but even then he still cannot see mine. Doesn’t seem to work well with family sharing.

gt33m

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
I wish screentime worked well. I'm seeing several issues with ios12. This seems half-baked and unreliable. My main usage is to hold accountable or limit the usage for my teen's social media use. At the very least, I want this to be a clear non-argumentative log of usage for non-school work.

1. Currently texting is included in social media use. Why can't I group arbitrary apps into my categories.
2. Seems unreliable. Somehow my teen managed to reset the screentime, he says he didn't but it was there 2 hours ago. Now, no history?!
3. very hard to limit browser usage
4. would like the same settings to apply against multiple devices for the same person (ipad, iphone etc), and it needs to be cumulative. so, it's not youtube for 1 hr on the ipad and 1 hr on the phone. 1 hr per person.

disney has a really nice app on the netgear routers (circle) that seems to work...but unfortunately I need something that works on data as well.

would pay for an app/service that did this actually, but ios doesn't enable this kind of nannyware unfortunately

Reactions: bluecoast

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
I wish screentime worked well. I'm seeing several issues with ios12. This seems half-baked and unreliable. My main usage is to hold accountable or limit the usage for my teen's social media use. At the very least, I want this to be a clear non-argumentative log of usage for non-school work.

1. Currently texting is included in social media use. Why can't I group arbitrary apps into my categories.
2. Seems unreliable. Somehow my teen managed to reset the screentime, he says he didn't but it was there 2 hours ago. Now, no history?!
3. very hard to limit browser usage
4. would like the same settings to apply against multiple devices for the same person (ipad, iphone etc), and it needs to be cumulative. so, it's not youtube for 1 hr on the ipad and 1 hr on the phone. 1 hr per person.

disney has a really nice app on the netgear routers (circle) that seems to work...but unfortunately I need something that works on data as well.

would pay for an app/service that did this actually, but ios doesn't enable this kind of nannyware unfortunately

I haven't been trying the 12.1 beta but I hope that Screentime has at least had some of the bugs that you (and others) mention, ironed out. I suspect that we might have to wait until at least March 2019 or iOS 13 for some of the feature fixes that discuss.

It's funny discussing something like screen time on a site like this i.e. one full of iPhone addicts! I'm guessing that a lot of people here have it turned off!

gt33m

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
True, this isn't beta software anymore though. ios12 was released as GA a few months ago. It seems incompletely designed. It has a fixed categorization by which it can report on screen usage, which cannot be customized. As far as controls go, it *has* features for controls with family sharing but that hasn't been completely implemented or thought through. wish apple would allow the ecosystem to develop these features if they can't / won't prioritize them. That way they could have focused on one of set of use-cases and nailed them.

DWooderson

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
Screentime is working ok for us, I use it to set reasonable limits for my kids (13 and 16).

I can't see my son's usage report, it says it will show up once he begins to use his device, but that was a month ago. My daughter's usage showed up for three weeks, but it stopped a couple weeks ago.

Their time limits and downtimes are enforced though.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
My almost 7-year-Old’s screen time works flawless. I can see her usage, set limits to apps and categories and her enforced times work great. I let her watch Kids YouTube and Netflix, an hour at a time. Once her hour is up, she have to read for 30-45 minutes or use ABCmouse.com to earn more screen time. Also our Xfinity service works alongside Screen Time for the WiFi, TV Time and Parental Controls.

26aee3bdbf841e4790ca8ec8f1b4b830.jpg

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
I installed iOS 12 beta on my sons iPhone just for this feature as he likes to stay up all night watching Youtube videos and reading after we are in bed.

So I set up his account from my phone and everything went cool... at 11 PM his apps on his phone stops working.

I was happy until one night at 2 am I heard him giggling in his room, opened the door to see him watching YouTube on his phone. Took his phone from him and discovered all apps were enabled again.

Turns out after the apps turn off, you can still go into Settings > General > Date & Time - and change the time to a non screen time blocked time... and boom your apps are all unlocked again.

Then he figured out later he did not change the time to defeat it, instead he went in and set the time to 24 hour time, seems as though Screentime does not understand 24 hour time.

I submitted this as a bug to Apple, lets hope they fix it as it defeats the entire reason for having parents set screen limits on their kids phones.

Did they ever fix?

WankerWeasel

Suspended
Dec 10, 2004
USA
It's a nice awareness tool. But like all awareness tools (a FitBit for example), you have to then take action based on the information they provide. It does little good if you just read the usage and move on. You need to then take actions to actually change your behavior (usage).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.