Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
if you don't want to look into a viewfinder, don't buy an SLR.

i believe Sony and Panasonic's Live View implementation is closest to that of a point-&-shoot.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
if you don't want to look into a viewfinder, don't buy an SLR.

i believe Sony and Panasonic's Live View implementation is closest to that of a point-&-shoot.

Oh really? Why do you say that? I guess I'm just used to my old habits with my point and shoot right now. My sister does photography and she said "all the pros use the viewfinder." I don't really understand why. I thought I got more detail with live view. Maybe I'm wrong?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
basically, there is no replacement for an optical image. a bunch of dots on a 3" screen do not outresolve your eye, nor is it an accurate representation of the scene. on top of that, there is no way to hold a camera properly while using Live View, and the sensor is exposed and heats up from constant use.

i say Sony and Panasonic in my previous post because, as far as i know, those are the two manufacturers that have a Live View implementation closest to that of a P&S. all others are more suited for tripod work.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I use LiveView on my Sony A300 from time to time, mainly when lifting the camera way above head height or lower than or equal to waist height. The photos come out ok, but the viewfinder seems to facilitate better photos.

If I ask someone to take a photo of me with the camera and I know they don't like the viewfinder, I switch on LiveView for them too.

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
I just sent back a D200 body. Great camera but I don't want to lug around all the stuff for dslr shooting. I have an old panasonic LX1 now. I am going to get a leica d-lux 4 or the lx3 if bh ever gets it in stock again

secretpact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I imagine it's hard to focus manually on someone when you're trying to get a shallow depth of field effect. I read that you're supposed to focus on the eyes of a person, but how can I tell if someone's eye is focused through the tiny viewfinder? I won't be able to try a DSLR for awhile, so if anyone could give me some tips, that'd be really helpful, thanks!

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I imagine it's hard to focus manually on someone when you're trying to get a shallow depth of field effect. I read that you're supposed to focus on the eyes of a person, but how can I tell if someone's eye is focused through the tiny viewfinder? I won't be able to try a DSLR for awhile, so if anyone could give me some tips, that'd be really helpful, thanks!

if you can't tell through a viewfinder, you certainly won't be able to tell on little screen. again, your eyes outresolve even a high-res LCD screen, which the ones on your camera aren't.

back to the definition of an SLR: single-lens reflex. this means you look through a mirror and see exactly what the lens sees. if something is in focus (and the diopter is set correctly), you will see it in focus. if something is veiled by flare, you'll see that it is. it's exactly the same as looking at the LCD screen on a point-&-shoot, since the screen is displaying whatever the sensor sees, but your eyes will be more accurate...and won't get washed out by sunlight.

the sharpness falloff in the viewfinder is also influenced by the focusing screen inside your camera, but that's only a concern if you manual focus often with a fast lens and no AF-confirmation (or you don't trust AF confirm), which you probably won't.

and again, it is impossible to use Live View while holding a camera properly.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I just bought the Panasonic ZS3 today. It has awesome HD 720p video and takes amazing quality photos for a point and shoot. I've come to the conclusion that while due to the smaller sensor size, a point and shoot won't be able to take high iso photos as well as a DSLR, this one will come closest.

If you absolutely must get a DSLR but you want it to be portable, don't go for the olypmus. it doesen't have image stabilization. Panasonic has just come out with the G1 that is smaller. If you have the cash, try the G1 HD that is a DSLR but also does HD video.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
If you absolutely must get a DSLR but you want it to be portable, don't go for the olypmus. it doesen't have image stabilization. Panasonic has just come out with the G1 that is smaller. If you have the cash, try the G1 HD that is a DSLR but also does HD video.
The last I checked, G1 HD or G1 is NOT a DSLR, it doesn't have a mirrored viewfinder and instead uses EVF which is the same as Live View or whatever you may call it and also the image quality at higher ISO isn't that impressive either, honestly, I dont know what so great bout the G1, it is NOT a DSLR, it is AROUND DSLR size, image quality is NOT impressive, so what so special about it? I prefer Olympus strategy which is to make it into a compact body form. If I'm going to stash a camera into my pocket, I might as well get a good one, but if I'm going to lug around a camera, it will be a REAL DSLR and not a G1.

Just my op.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.