Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
Hello

I am finding that when anytime I use the back arrow to move to a previous page, such as when performing a google search and backing up to a previous page, that the vertical scroll bar to the right is not there. It appears when progressing forward but never backward via the back arrow at the top left. As suggested my numerous google searches I have gone into Preferences to the General tab and selected Always to indicate that I want to to alway appear but it does not correct this. I looked to see if there is a needed update but everything is up to date. Rebooting also did not help. Does anyone have a suggestion. I am using MacOS 12.7.4 Monterrey with Safari 17.4.1. Thank you for any suggestions. I will keep looking into it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is it truly not there, or is it just very hard to see? I logged a bug for the latter (it has a faint grey outline) some time ago, but Apple being Apple it's just been ignored so far.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, when you don't see a scroll bar, are you saying that scrolling does not work (from mouse or trackpad)?

Ah, OK, I see what you mean. I can go back to previous page, and sometimes no indicator appears to show scrolling is happening. Scroll indicator does not appear on every page (I have it set to show only when scrolling, but nothing appears, only on some pages)
Just my opinion: not a serious issue, although I can see that scrolling though the occasional l-o-n-g page might be a little frustrating.

goodwill67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
So, when you don't see a scroll bar, are you saying that scrolling does not work (from mouse or trackpad)?

Ah, OK, I see what you mean. I can go back to previous page, and sometimes no indicator appears to show scrolling is happening. Scroll indicator does not appear on every page (I have it set to show only when scrolling, but nothing appears, only on some pages)
Just my opinion: not a serious issue, although I can see that scrolling though the occasional l-o-n-g page might be a little frustrating.
THANKS. Yes, I agree it is not a really serious issue. If I had been as exact as I should have been I would have said that it is not the scroll bar itself that does not appear but the the indicator within the scroll bar. It is still possible to place tha arrow at the extremes of the scroll bar and continue to move it that way or even to use the top button on the mouse. So I would agree that itis not a serious problem and can be worked around but still frustrating that these things happen. THANKS again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.