Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mkallevik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Look at what developers have done with the iPhone. I can only imagine what they will do with the iPad.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I imagine iPad development will be more of an experiment for most companies. Their larger market is still, and will probably always be, the iPhone. They'll either write programs to be resolution independent, or just have iPad users scale them for a while.

Mkallevik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I imagine iPad development will be more of an experiment for most companies. Their larger market is still, and will probably always be, the iPhone. They'll either write programs to be resolution independent, or just have iPad users scale them for a while.

True, but obviously people are showing interest in this product for some reason. This product can be consumers new way of using a computer and desktops/laptops will be limited to work use. I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, but eventually, why not? Of course by then it will have lots of new features.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
True, but obviously people are showing interest in this product for some reason.

Showing interest and actually getting a big enough market share for developers are two different things. I think until the numbers are big enough to justify spending development resources, most devs will not be putting too much development time into it. My guess is you will see devs work to get their apps to fit the screen better. But I don't foresee devs spending time utilizing iPad only features too much until the market is there.

Mkallevik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Showing interest and actually getting a big enough market share for developers are two different things. I think until the numbers are big enough to justify spending development resources, most devs will not be putting too much development time into it. My guess is you will see devs work to get their apps to fit the screen better. But I don't foresee devs spending time utilizing iPad only features too much until the market is there.

I guess we have to just wait and see ;)

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
As a developer the iPad is much more exciting to me from a creative standpoint than the iPhone/Pod. It looks like Apple has already done a good job setting an example of how to translate an app's design onto the iPad, and hopefully other devs will put in the time and effort to create equally beautiful apps.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I wonder where the average price for iPad specific apps will settle.

The iPad app market may differ from the iPhone/Touch and equilibrate at a different price point. I would speculate that the additional screen real estate combined with the greater processing power will result in more elaborate apps with greater development time and thus a higher average price.

Mkallevik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007

The iPad app market may differ from the iPhone/Touch and equilibrate at a different price point. I would speculate that the additional screen real estate combined with the greater processing power will result in more elaborate apps with greater development time and thus a higher average price.

I Agree.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

I agree. I just hope that the "app factory" devs who crank out 100s of one-screen useless apps won't flood this device with crap too.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I agree. I just hope that the "app factory" devs who crank out 100s of one-screen useless apps won't flood this device with crap too.

I am sure they will... I just hope they can be sorted out of the way.

I have not browsed the app store in a long time. Perhaps they need to add a developer filter to just block out a list of developers whom you don't want to see apps from.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
As a developer the iPad is much more exciting to me from a creative standpoint than the iPhone/Pod. It looks like Apple has already done a good job setting an example of how to translate an app's design onto the iPad, and hopefully other devs will put in the time and effort to create equally beautiful apps.

Same here. 4x the screen real estate is awesome. The possibilities are endless.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
kiosk

It will make a good kiosk system, connect to a 42"inch tv via VGA and mirror the display image. Its much better solution than spending $10,000 on Table Computer aka Surface from MS. For $499, iPad is a steal for those applications.

So I guess this device have a lot of potential.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.