Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Super easy and convenient. It’s the perfect amount of distance for my thumb to travel without straining my wrist, which was an issue I had on every modern iPhone design. Reachability is rarely if ever required—from memory I’m not sure I’ve used it once on this phone, although I wouldn’t give much thought to it if I had.

After experiencing multiple iPhone sizes over the past few generations I wholeheartedly feel that this is the standard size a phone should be. Give me a miniature phone with a high pixel density. iPhone 13 feels like the same phone but larger because duh, but the display is noticeably less sharp and I prefer iPhone 13 Mini. It’s an incredible little device which unfortunately still suffers from a flickering but beautiful display.

Hi Michael,

RE: 13 Mini - Control Centre

Gosh, I just tried that - and it worked!

Many thanks for the tip.

Yes, finger gymnastics - as I've got small hands as well.

Now I've got a case on the phone, I'm more confident to try stuff - e.g. when out walking on concrete etc.

Will give it a go for a week and see how go

Thanks
Martin

Reactions: MICHAELSD

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
In the Accessibility settings, there is both a reachability option (where you swipe down from the bottom of the screen to bring the control centre down) as well as the option to double-tap on the back of the phone which can also bring forth the control centre.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
iPhone SE sitting boxed in the other room. I love my iPhone 13 Mini but last night was particularly bad for headaches so I know I’ll have to seriously give it consideration and hope it instantly clicks.

Edit -
First iPhone SE impressions:

The design feels fresh and new thanks to improved glass and aluminum finishes. Midnight reminds me of the Jet Black color on iPhone 7, which was among my favorite iPhone designs.

Unboxing and powering on the new iPhone SE yields a surprisingly strong first impression. The design is admittedly stunning. Kudos to Apple for offering such high-quality finishes that could easily be on a flagship iPhone.

I’m currently in the process of restoring the new iPhone SE with a backup from my iPhone 13 Mini, and that’s where disappointment begins to settle in. The display quality is night-and-day. While the LCD is solid for what it is, it has the same apparent lack of sharpness I noticed after becoming accustomed to iPhone 13 Mini and viewing a friend’s iPhone 11.

Colors on the display are fine, although not eye-popping or trying to emulate the iPhone 13 line as well as expected. This display is making the phone feel like a toy, mainly due to the pixel density. The camera was also disappointing on the first trial run, although it’s important to keep in mind that the sensor is four generations behind and new silicon can only do so much for computational processing.

While I think I could grow more accustomed to iPhone SE over time, this is getting downright painful at this point. iPhone 13 Mini offers a drastic improvement at a relatively sound price point. On the plus side of course there are no headaches with iPhone SE, but it’s surprising there’s still no Accessibility option on OLED iPhones.

I’ll give iPhone SE more of a chance and I think if I were to set iPhone 13 Mini aside for a while I could grow to like it more. There is a certain charm to the old iPhone design, and in a vacuum the display isn’t bad. My main issue is that a 326ppi resolution looks oddly pixelated coming from a newer iPhone, and Apple could have incorporated a newer camera sensor with Night Mode. There are a surprising amount of pros and cons, although the only benefit over iPhone 13 Mini is the slightly lower price as I opted for 128GB and the lack of PWM.

Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
iPhone SE sitting boxed in the other room. I love my iPhone 13 Mini but last night was particularly bad for headaches so I know I’ll have to seriously give it consideration and hope it instantly clicks.

Edit -
First iPhone SE impressions:

The design feels fresh and new thanks to improved glass and aluminum finishes. Midnight reminds me of the Jet Black color on iPhone 7, which was among my favorite iPhone designs.

Unboxing and powering on the new iPhone SE yields a surprisingly strong first impression. The design is admittedly stunning. Kudos to Apple for offering such high-quality finishes that could easily be on a flagship iPhone.

I’m currently in the process of restoring the new iPhone SE with a backup from my iPhone 13 Mini, and that’s where disappointment begins to settle in. The display quality is night-and-day. While the LCD is solid for what it is, it has the same apparent lack of sharpness I noticed after becoming accustomed to iPhone 13 Mini and viewing a friend’s iPhone 11.

Colors on the display are fine, although not eye-popping or trying to emulate the iPhone 13 line as well as expected. This display is making the phone feel like a toy, mainly due to the pixel density. The camera was also disappointing on the first trial run, although it’s important to keep in mind that the sensor is four generations behind and new silicon can only do so much for computational processing.

While I think I could grow more accustomed to iPhone SE over time, this is getting downright painful at this point. iPhone 13 Mini offers a drastic improvement at a relatively sound price point. On the plus side of course there are no headaches with iPhone SE, but it’s surprising there’s still no Accessibility option on OLED iPhones.

I’ll give iPhone SE more of a chance and I think if I were to set iPhone 13 Mini aside for a while I could grow to like it more. There is a certain charm to the old iPhone design, and in a vacuum the display isn’t bad. My main issue is that a 326ppi resolution looks oddly pixelated coming from a newer iPhone, and Apple could have incorporated a newer camera sensor with Night Mode. There are a surprising amount of pros and cons, although the only benefit over iPhone 13 Mini is the slightly lower price as I opted for 128GB and the lack of PWM.
You are definitely stubborn minded with regards to keeping that 13 Mini - and I get it as I won't give up my 7 Plus for the XR, 11 or SE 2022 - especially after using the 13 series of phones. I would be over the moon to be able to use any of the sizes of new OLED phones. And while I could use the standard 13 without eyes strain (not the 13 mini or 13 Pro), it gave me motion sickness so there is no tolerating the PWM effect.

If broke or lost my 7 Plus today I would likely settle for the SE 2022, being it's the latest LCD model, but I would do so begrudgingly. I see the appeal for those that just need to do light tasks and have a small footprint device - but it would need to be coupled with an iPad or laptop. Meanwhile, I use my phone for everything when not in the office.

The SE 2022 display is so cramped but I surprised myself that I didn't hate the lower PPI as you change the distance you hold the phone compared to a larger one and text seemed fine. Not sure I like the higher contrast text though as its looks thicker than my 7 Plus. Watching youtube video in portrait and reading comments is a no go as everything is too small but fine on my 7 Plus. I also found the 5 years of muscle memory holding the larger phone meant that griping the small SE gave me hand cramp - I'm sure I could adjust.

IF I could use OLED phones and the choice was SE 2022 or 13 Mini - then it's 13 Mini all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: MICHAELSD

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I was all set to trade my SE2 for the SE3, but after a bit of thought I’m going to trade my 12 mini for the 13 mini instead. I just love the iPhone 4 design of the mini too much and can’t give it up as my daily driver. I need 128 GB also which is another factor, which is the base storage on the 13 mini (my 64 gb 12 mini is close to full). It’s fine though, 13 mini and SE2 as my backup phone is a good combo to have.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I was all set to trade my SE2 for the SE3, but after a bit of thought I’m going to trade my 12 mini for the 13 mini instead. I just love the iPhone 4 design of the mini too much and can’t give it up as my daily driver. I need 128 GB also which is another factor, which is the base storage on the 13 mini (my 64 gb 12 mini is close to full). It’s fine though, 13 mini and SE2 as my backup phone is a good combo to have.

Yeah, I think 13 mini + SE2 makes more sense than 12 mini + SE3 as well. You’ve got a better primary phone while the SE2 is a good enough backup phone.

I might nab a 13 mini when there’s a sale not tied to carrier monthly credits. It’d be nice to have Night Mode and the best device in a small form factor. I could tolerate OLED PWM if I only glance it every now and then which is my usage majority of the time. I checked Settings - Battery and it says I have 9 min screen on time average over a 10 day period. It’s extended use where OLED gives me migraines.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
I have some "SE myths" I’d like to bust in this thread, and I’m going to start with the display:)

It seems like whenever you see a review of the iPhone SE one of the biggest drawbacks that will inevitably come flying your way has to do with its 720p display. And I think it’s a great example of people prioritizing specs and numbers over what they’re actually seeing with their eyes. Which is why many of those very same reviews often counter their display criticisms with comments about how it still looks good, and the lower resolution likely won’t be an issue for most people in real world use.

So maybe, just maybe, the resolution isn’t really an issue at all and the SE’s display is still holding its own just fine in 2022?

I don’t know… but as someone who regularly works on projects where a focus on resolution and detail is super important, and as someone who’s used a number of Apple displays that offer significantly higher resolution and features like pro motion, etc.. with nearly 3 weeks of heavy SE3 use under my belt, I do know if I felt the clarity of the display was an issue or a compromise for me in any way I wouldn’t hesitate to say as much.

I’m not saying the resolution increases and refresh rate improvements other iPhones are offering aren’t welcome, I’m saying content still looks great on the SE3 and (more importantly for me at least) text is crisp and impressively comfortable to read, even when held from nearly 2 feet away.

When you consider the average size of the 4K televisions in our homes is likely 40-55+ inches, how many pixels do you think need to be pushed out of a tiny 4.7-inch screen in order for content to look crisp and clear? Apparently not more than the SE is offering.. not to my eyes at least (and my vision is good).

So clearly it’s not just the number of pixels a small display like this is pushing that matters, it’s the quality of the display.. factors like color and contrast.. and the (retina) technology behind it.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I have some "SE myths" I’d like to bust in this thread, and I’m going to start with the display:)

It seems like whenever you see a review of the iPhone SE one of the biggest drawbacks that will inevitably come flying your way has to do with its 720p display. And I think it’s a great example of people prioritizing specs and numbers over what they’re actually seeing with their eyes. Which is why many of those very same reviews often counter their display criticisms with comments about how it still looks good, and the lower resolution likely won’t be an issue for most people in real world use.

So maybe, just maybe, the resolution isn’t really an issue at all and the SE’s display is still holding its own just fine in 2022?

I don’t know… but as someone who regularly works on projects where a focus on resolution and detail is super important, and as someone who’s used a number of Apple displays that offer significantly higher resolution and features like pro motion, etc.. with nearly 3 weeks of heavy SE3 use under my belt, I do know if I felt the clarity of the display was an issue or a compromise for me in any way I wouldn’t hesitate to say as much.

I’m not saying the resolution increases and refresh rate improvements other iPhones are offering aren’t welcome, I’m saying content still looks great on the SE3 and (more importantly for me at least) text is crisp and impressively comfortable to read, even when held from nearly 2 feet away.

When you consider the average size of the 4K televisions in our homes is likely 40-55+ inches, how many pixels do you think need to be pushed out of a tiny 4.7-inch screen in order for content to look crisp and clear? Apparently not more than the SE is offering.. not to my eyes at least (and my vision is good).

So clearly it’s not just the number of pixels a small display like this is pushing that matters, it’s the quality of the display.. factors like color and contrast.. and the (retina) technology behind it.
The same people who complain about the SE’s “ancient and low resolution” LCD 326ppi display, are also the same folks who sing praises about their “beautifully sharp” iPad Pro LCD displays which have a much lower 264ppi. It’s a typical appeal to wealth (argumentum ad crumenam) logical fallacy - the iPad Pro is newer and cost me $1000 hence ergo it must be better than the iPhone SE with its $429 display. There’s probably a bit of confirmation bias in there too - all these tech reviewers said the iPhone SE display is terrible so it must be even though I can’t really tell the difference myself

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

I also spend a lot of time scrutinising micro details as a graphic designer and feel that 1080p should be the minimum resolution, and I have been very vocal on this forum that the XR and 11, for example, are not high enough resolution/PPI for the size of the display (I can see pixels on text). But I have found using an SE 2022, for around 30mins, that I didn't hate the PPI of the text like I thought I would (coming from a 7 Plus). The contrast of text has been increased over the Plus phones as text looks darker and slightly thicker, which I'm not sure I like. But I still feel strongly that the screen is very small for me.

If the phone was all screen like the Mini then the resolution would need to be bumped, so it's fine as it is if you can work with a small display.

Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
The same people who complain about the SE’s “ancient and low resolution” LCD 326ppi display, are also the same folks who sing praises about their “beautifully sharp” iPad Pro LCD displays which have a much lower 264ppi. It’s a typical appeal to wealth (argumentum ad crumenam) logical fallacy - the iPad Pro is newer and cost me $1000 hence ergo it must be better than the iPhone SE with its $429 display. There’s probably a bit of confirmation bias in there too - all these tech reviewers said the iPhone SE display is terrible so it must be even though I can’t really tell the difference myself
I totally agree with you - obviously, the bias comes because we have newer & bigger displays and we have all had a chance to use the latest and greatest (especially tech reviewers who are using the bleeding edge). This has become the norm so the SE 2022 feels dated. I think, if nothing else, people expect more from Apple as a design company and its 2022 - the SE 2022 is using a design from 2014. But if you use a phone as a tool primarily then there is nothing wrong with the SE series. "Buy the tool for the job required" - not everything has to be endlessly compared to everything else (although this can be fun as it creates discussion and content to spend the minutes of our days).

Last edited:
Reactions: CE3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.