Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
(my 1st Thread!) 🤓

Computer type: Brand new Mac Mini M2 (8core CPU, 10coreGPU) 16gb/256gb storage with hub(750gb) for extra storage. I migrated from a Mac Mini 2012 that I used to make apps for over a decade! So I'm in total awe of the speed & snappiness! love my new computer soooooo much! 🥹

Ok. With the fanboy stuff out of the way...

My Secondary HP LP2475w Monitor is rather old. 2009ish? But for 2009 it was top of the line monitor, with all types of connectors. 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort, 1 S-Video, 1 Composite video, 1 Component (Y Pb Pr) oh and 1 Spdif (explained in manual as extra audio cable for HDMI) & 1 USB-A and 6(!) USB-B ports I've never used. Coming in just over 20 lbs. LOL. Only 1920x1200 & rotated vertically on its awesome stand, for code. It's a Beast. I love it. 🥰

Currently I have a DVI - HDMI cable plugged into a Qicai-H Adapter's HDMI going into the Mac mini via USB-C. (and into the monitor with the female DVI) Works great! Until I put it to sleep. Then, when it comes out of sleep the screen is super scrambled. Unworkable (Almost like it forces it into a 16 color palette.) 🤔

If I reseat the Qicai-H's USB-c adapter into the Mac Mini M2, it's all good!

But I don't want to keep unplugging and plugging back in the USBc cable. I want to minimize scratches on my Mac Mini if I upgrade and return it to be refurbished for a discount on a newer model. So I turn my computer off.

So I recently learned from watching videos (like from MacMost) that in Sleep Mode, MacOS does maintenance and what not while it sleeps. I don't want to miss out on that.

So, my Questions: Is it bad to turn off a computer and reboot it everyday? sometimes multiple times a day? Also how would you connect this bad boy with so many connector port types?

If anyone wants to look at this 2009 state of the art bad boy, fun workstation pics attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_Scrambled.JPG
    IMG_Scrambled.JPG
    624 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_Normal.JPG
    IMG_Normal.JPG
    658 KB · Views: 28

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
It looks like it could be an hdmi handshake issue. Apple’s implementation of hdmi can be quirky. I have an adapter from work that has similar issues using hdmi with most of our projectors and won’t resolve itself. When determining the best way to connect my LG 32 UL500 to my M1 mini, I had some wierd quirks with hdmi as well. I now use DisplayPort plugged into a thunderbolt hub.

First I would skip the adapter and use the mini’s hdmi port to see if there is any improvement.

Next try skipping the conversion to dvi and use an hdmi to hdmi cable.

If that doesn’t do it, usb c to DisplayPort seems to very reliable on the M series Macs. You can either use a single cable or a hub for the connection.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Lots of words in your original post, but it really doesn't tell us much.
- what is your "primary" display?
- how is it connected?

Like the post above says
- try a different cable
- try a different "connection scheme".

I'd suggest HDMI-to-HDMI first.
Use a good quality cable.

The other display should be USBc-to-(you didn't tell us how it's connected).

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Post is tl;dr but... if you're getting a "Static" display on waking from sleep on a HDMI display, Apple menu > Sleep on the working display & wake it up again should cure it.

My best guess is it's a cable issue but it's all routed & just as easy for me to sleep/wake again as to try to actually fix it.

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
tl;dr? Aw man... Freakin & Fisherman are wet blankets. 😄

- what is your "primary" display?
- how is it connected?

First I would skip the adapter and use the mini’s hdmi port to see if there is any improvement.

Next try skipping the conversion to dvi and use an hdmi to hdmi cable.

If that doesn’t do it, usb c to DisplayPort seems to very reliable on the M series Macs. You can either use a single cable or a hub for the connection.

Using a combination of meson's HDMI ideas and the guy eating his keyboard ideas to fix it!

I used my primary ASUS monitor (HDMI) into the Qicai-H Adapter's HDMI female and into the Mac mini-USB-c. That free'd up the Mac Mini's HDMI female take the Hdmi-to-DVI to the HP Monitor and Whaala! Success! Now I don't need to buy anything! I tested sleep, the HP wakes up just fine! No garbled 16 color pixels!

Still wondering why Sleep is better than turning this M2 Mac Mini off at night. anyway.

Thanks guys! I'll go find some other thread to post lonely essays. 😅

Reactions: meson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.