Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which should I keep?

• M1 Max + 32 GPU + 64 RAM + 2TB SSD

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • M1 Ultra base

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I have two Studio's on order and can't decide which one to keep/cancel. My main concern is storage, will the 1TB SSD on the ultra be enough. I currently am using 500GB, which is mostly my photo library. Cost isn't too much of a concern, but I can't change my config(s) without incurring a huge shipping delay.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
A lot of people are wasting money on the 64gb RAM when they will never use even close to 32gb. I use a lot of external drives for video files so I'm used to that. Either way, if you feel you've misconfigured and want an Ultra with 2tb SSD, it's probably only a month more. Nothing over the lifespan of the computer. I also think the Max with 64gb RAM is a waste of money for RAM that will never be used

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Best configs are either

M1 Max + 32 GPU + 32 gig + 1 tb (for price performance on the lower end)

Or

M1 ultra base (for best price performance on the higher end)

Keep the M1 ultra. It’s amazing how much computer you’re getting for the price. Basically the fastest desktop computer in the world.

The other config you’re paying for a lot of SSD, which you can just manage with externals if / when you need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirmausalot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.