Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
As in the goofy face one?

Yes 100% yes. theblueone put it far better than I did but the goofy faced one is better. It talks of about you and who you are right now.

For me there are two sides to a self portrait - The actual technical picture and then you.

Which picture says - "This is me".

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Yes 100% yes. theblueone put it far better than I did but the goofy faced one is better. It talks of about you and who you are right now.

For me there are two sides to a self portrait - The actual technical picture and then you.

Which picture says - "This is me".

Thanks, I'm glad at least a couple people see where I was going with it :p

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
Honestly...

Hey guys, I'm working on a self portrait assignment for a photo production class in university, and I was wondering if you have or have seen any great self portraits or have any ideas.

I already created this one, which took a few tries but I finally got it right:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6880/img00132cd2.jpg

What do you guys think?

I think the face is amazing. Couldn't disagree more with those who say lose it. I mean, when I look in the fridge, I'm always stumped as to what I'm going to bring out. It's never what I really seem to want, and I get flustered and you seem to have that face.

I like the shot, a lot. Looks like you're in the right direction.

At my birthday this summer, we passed around my camera and every one had a chance to take pictures. One of the guys, Michael, took pictures of everyone through their wine glass. Some of them turned out really cool. I'll see if I can drag one up.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
btw, what kinda camera and settings were you using for the fridge?

Nikon D300 w/ 18-200mm Nikkor lens, liveview through Camera Control Pro 2 tethering to see what I'm doing on my MBP. Auto WB, Shutter priority at 1/15 sec and ISO 200. Adjustments made in LightRoom 2.

The serious face ones were the same setup but with a 1/50 sec shutter speed.

Thanks for the support though, I'd love to see those wine glass pictures!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
That's a fantastic image! Unless you have 3 arms, I'm assuming you used photoshop, which is out of the question for this assignment, unfortunately.

Actually, you could go to an extended exposure and fire a strobe twice (with yourself in a different position each time). You wouldn't get as good of an effect, but it would work.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Actually, you could go to an extended exposure and fire a strobe twice (with yourself in a different position each time). You wouldn't get as good of an effect, but it would work.

That's how I did the one with two of me, but for how that picture looks it wouldn't work properly. It would be too hard to stay in exactly one place and only move one arm, plus that arm would likely be translucent.

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
Nikon D300 w/ 18-200mm Nikkor lens, liveview through Camera Control Pro 2 tethering to see what I'm doing on my MBP. Auto WB, Shutter priority at 1/15 sec and ISO 200. Adjustments made in LightRoom 2.

The serious face ones were the same setup but with a 1/50 sec shutter speed.

Thanks for the support though, I'd love to see those wine glass pictures!

Here's a couple:
web.jpg

web.jpg

The rest are here if you want to browse:
http://gallery.mac.com/jberickson#100052

Not technically the best, but I liked.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Those wine glass pictures are pretty neat. I took one yesterday through a vase filled with water, but the results were terrifying so I won't post them. ;)

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
The photo with the "I can't decide what I want" face is MUCH better and more interesting than the one where you look "normal."

If you wanted more of a standard portrait, you wouldn't do it from inside a fridge. What you've done is more artistic and interesting than a simple portrait. Go with the photo that shows more character.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.