Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
So once you get that beauty lens let us (or at least me since I want to buy the same :p) how it works for you!

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
Ok let me muddy the water on this a little...I was at Best Buy picking up a DVD and they had a Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 for $325 on clearance after my RZ Coupon. It is brand new. Would this be a better buy than the 17-40L?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Ok let me muddy the water on this a little...I was at Best Buy picking up a DVD and they had a Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 for $325 on clearance after my RZ Coupon. It is brand new. Would this be a better buy than the 17-40L?

I don't know much about the Tamrons/Sigmas/Tokinas, but I think the only third parties that beat Canon L is Zeiss (which I've used) and Leica... :eek:

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

the Tamron is a great lens, if you don't mind slower (and not-silent) AF. i would choose it over the 17-40 - faster (if you need speed), better focal length range, slightly sharper (particularly on the long end), and cheaper.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
the Tamron is a great lens, if you don't mind slower (and not-silent) AF. i would choose it over the 17-40 - faster (if you need speed), better focal length range, slightly sharper (particularly on the long end), and cheaper.

I went ahead and I bought it since Best Buy has 30 days return policy. I used both my certificates and a coupon, dropping it to $275!. The lens seems very sharp and I like the f/2.8. Since I have been using the 28-135 and my 70-200, both with USM, I was initially bothered by the noise of the AF, but it is quieter than my 50mm without USM. I think I am going to return the 17-40 in favor of this lens.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The Tamron 17-50 is generally well regarded. The only real trouble spots are quality control and construction, along with the 5mm of range you're losing.

My Nikon 17-55 easily survived an accidental meeting with a brick wall that probably would have severely damaged the Tamron, and probably the Canon as well (mainly because the Canon 17-55 is not an L lens, and is not so well put together as the Nikon, which you do pay for).

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
The Tamron 17-50 is generally well regarded. The only real trouble spots are quality control and construction...

I was concerned initially with this issue as well. I have only ever own Canon lenses, but this Tamron is built considerably better than my 28-135mm kit lens. While it was not as solid as the 17-40L, its solidness surprised me. If there is spotty QC, I think I got a good one.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Sure it is -- it gives you the equivalent angle of view of a 28mm lens on 135 format -- that' s a very workable wide-angle option.

When you get to 21mm and wider, as was suggested, is the realm of ultra-wide -- much more of a speciality lens... not a bad thing, mind you, but not as robust as the 28-65mm he'll get with this lens on a crop-body.

Also a nice future-proof lens -- upgrade to a 5D or the like and you now have an ultra-wide to (very slightly) wide-normal lens.

well i consider it wide angle:) I dont think the 16-35mm is considered UWA, bjut i could be wrong.

The tamron is an excellent lens. They used to make a 17-35 or 17-40 a few years ago, that they disco'd. It was an amazing lens, but as with any lens, it is hit and miss (mostly hit) with sharpness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.