Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

• MBA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reflash 10.6.8

• High Sierra

• SSD? RAM Upgrade?

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
I do not use Time Machine. I never have. As you may recall, I have a strict NO INTERNAL MOD policy in my household. Thus, cannot do anything about the broken cable. I have not tried doing the About This Mac thing, Ill try when I get home from school. Thanks everyone for your help

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Show your parents this thread.

This is a hardware issue. Your Hard drive is dead/dying. You can delete and reinstall all you want, but you are wasting your time.

1) My wife also has a 2011 MBP which was dying. I spend $300 and installed new 8Gb of Ram and a 256Gb SSD. The thing runs like a brand new computer now (albeit with a horrible non-retina screen). The change took 10 minutes and did not require any extra tools (assuming you have an allen wrench that will work with Apple's screws.

2) Not sure why the rule for no tinkering. Perhaps they do not want you to do anything because they plan on buying you a new MBP for Christmas. ;-)

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I do not use Time Machine. I never have. As you may recall, I have a strict NO INTERNAL MOD policy in my household. Thus, cannot do anything about the broken cable. I have not tried doing the About This Mac thing, Ill try when I get home from school. Thanks everyone for your help

That doesn’t mean time machine isn’t on by default and making local back ups.

I know about you strict no mod policy but you have a hardware issue you either fix it or give up on the computer, that’s your choice.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP has been told numerous times what the problem is -- a broken hard drive -- yet he cannot come to grips with what must be done.

What more is there to say?

Reactions: HenryDJP

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Here's my "MANAGE STORAGE" window. See what you think. @Fishrrman I think im hoping theres a less obvious solution. Thanks community. I'm hoping for a new MBP or MBA or even a Mac Mini for the holidays. Ill keep you updated with what goes on with my poor 2011 MBP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 6.12.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 6.12.34 PM.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 139
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.