Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
Hi there. I use macbook m1 air and iphone 13 pro (will swap to new one next year for usbc, even normal model if not pro) and i wanted to buy ipad. BUT i am not sure if i will use it. To use it to work i would need keyboard and cost of Air 4 with keybiard and pen is very high. What i know is my 8yo kid like to paint very much. And i think, ipad could be very good tool for him. But paying a lot of money only for Him to paint may be overkill, and also, He can destroy it accidentaly making overkill x5 :)
is there any model which can be worth to buy with pen for a kid? Will there be a lot of difference with ergonomy of using it, screen, is it the same comfortable to paint on old ipads and new one, pens - how much v2 differ from v1, general feelings of using it. I thought about ipad2 for more or less 50 euro, but it has low version of system. If i would be sure i will use it by myself very often, for example swapping my macbook for it - i would consider to buy expensive ipad4 or wait for new model with 120hz. But i am pretty sure i will not use it much (maybe i am wrong) so maybe cheap one would be good point for us.
Thank You for Your experience.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wait for the iPad 10th gen (rumored to be announced this month). It should have Apple Pencil 2 support while still being affordable.

I find the main practical difference between AP1 and AP2 is convenience. Storage and charging for the AP2 is a lot easier than AP1.

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
But maybe older ipad model than this /last year or new one?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

The iPad 2 is too old and doesn't support Apple Pencil technology and is not particularly suitable for drawing/painting (unless it's just finger painting). App support is also a major issue with something that old.

You don't really save much money on the older versions (5th gen was the first to get Pencil support) and the newer models (at least iPad 8th gen with A12) will last you much longer (providing your kid doesn't break the device or you get monthly AC+).

If you do go with a Lightning-based iPad, look into Apple Pencil alternatives like the Logitech Crayon. Those will work even if you upgrade to USB-C iPads.

Alternately, just give him a sketchbook and pens for now and upgrade him to an iPad when he gets older.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes. This is a good strategy. Don't spend a lot until you know that your son will stick with iPad drawing/illustrating.

New iPads are rumored to be announced in a month or two. Once they are, there will be more used ones on the market as people upgrade. If you are patient you should be able to find one that comes with a pencil and maybe even a keyboard.

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
To be honest, i would maybe buy new air ipad, but if it has 120hz. Now it is not worth in my opinion. Beside, macbook air 13 is very "small" and may be used everywhere in my opinion so ipad is not that needed device as it could be.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The iPad 2 is too old and doesn't support Apple Pencil technology and is not particularly suitable for drawing/painting (unless it's just finger painting). App support is also a major issue with something that old.

You don't really save much money on the older versions (5th gen was the first to get Pencil support) and the newer models (at least iPad 8th gen with A12) will last you much longer (providing your kid doesn't break the device or you get monthly AC+).

If you do go with a Lightning-based iPad, look into Apple Pencil alternatives like the Logitech Crayon. Those will work even if you upgrade to USB-C iPads.

Alternately, just give him a sketchbook and pens for now and upgrade him to an iPad when he gets older.
Pencil started with the 6th gen iPad. Other than that I fully agree, the savings with going with anything below A12 aren't worth it.

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
If you are so lucky that you can find a used iPad Pro 10.5" that will be quite enough for both the kid and you. I can compare the 10.5" Pro with the current 11" Pro. For most things there is not much difference in real life.

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
Ekstra tip: Have a look at the iPad app "Artrage Vitae". This app can simulate all sorts of classical drawing and painting methods and have an interface which is very intuitive, also for a child.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you are so lucky that you can find a used iPad Pro 10.5" that will be quite enough for both the kid and you. I can compare the 10.5" Pro with the current 11" Pro. For most things there is not much difference in real life.

I'd recommend the basic 10.2" iPad 8th/9th gen over the iPad Pro 10.5" or Air 3.

There are quite a number of reports of white spot and delamination/unresponsive touchscreen on the 10.5" models.

Reactions: Digitalguy

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
I'd recommend the basic 10.2" iPad 8th/9th gen over the iPad Pro 10.5" or Air 3.

There are quite a number of reports of white spot and delamination/unresponsive touchscreen on the 10.5" models.
Can You tell me more about differences between 8th and 9th gen (to mostly draw/paint) and sometimes consume www from it?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can You tell me more about differences between 8th and 9th gen (to mostly draw/paint) and sometimes consume www from it?

8th gen has A12/3GB and 9th gen A13/3GB. In practical use, you won't notice a performance difference between the two.

The 8th gen came with 32GB ($329) and 128GB ($479) configurations while the 9th gen came with 64GB ($329) and 256GB ($479) configurations.

Either model is a good choice. However, I highly recommend getting at least 64GB. iPadOS has gotten large enough nowadays that you can barely install apps on 32GB.

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
Ok, i will read about this models. And not older Air? I think 64 gb can be enough, but on phones i need 128gb (but practical view is not to use it as phone (films, photos).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ok, i will read about this models. And not older Air? I think 64 gb can be enough, but on phones i need 128gb (but practical view is not to use it as phone (films, photos).

Air 3 and Pro 10.5 both have a known design defect.

I consider those ticking time bombs.

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
Guys, i did not buy any ipad till today. What changed now and what is worth to consider? I saw one or 2 films on Yt and authors said thst air lower than 4 version is not good to buy this days. What about 10.2 which costs around 420 eur wifi version and air 5 is around 750 eur.
What are differences between original pen 1 vs 2? Do they use both v2 already?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Guys, i did not buy any ipad till today. What changed now and what is worth to consider? I saw one or 2 films on Yt and authors said thst air lower than 4 version is not good to buy this days. What about 10.2 which costs around 420 eur wifi version and air 5 is around 750 eur.
I recommend starting smart. My daughter is 11. She enjoyed using procreate on my M1 ipad. Using her birthday money I ordered a used iPad 9th gen with 4G for £180 and an affordable pencil like the one below.

IMG_9135.jpeg

This is a good starting ppoint for a child. If they turn out to extensively use the pencil and procreate then they ladder up to an ipad Pro with official apple pencil.

I own a pencil 2 and a third party. The latter one is as responsive but without pressure sensetivity. Most importently they are so affordable that you are not pressuring a child to look after a £120 that can easily break or be misplaced.

So ipad 9th gen + 3rd party pencil will cost you less half of a new ipad + official apple pencil and your child will be as happy.

As always with apple products, resale value is strong, making it easy to trade up in 1-2 years.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I recommend starting smart. My daughter is 11. She enjoyed using procreate on my M1 ipad. Using her birthday money I ordered a used iPad 9th gen with 4G for £180 and an affordable pencil like the one below.

View attachment 2286492

This is a good starting ppoint for a child. If they turn out to extensively use the pencil and procreate then they ladder up to an ipad Pro with official apple pencil.

I own a pencil 2 and a third party. The latter one is as responsive but without pressure sensetivity. Most importently they are so affordable that you are not pressuring a child to look after a £120 that can easily break or be misplaced.

So ipad 9th gen + 3rd party pencil will cost you less half of a new ipad + official apple pencil and your child will be as happy.

As always with apple products, resale value is strong, making it easy to trade up in 1-2 years.
I tend to disagree on this, if the objective is drawing/painting, an Apple pencil is a better buy, even for a kid. I use third party ones with no pressure sensitivity for annotating with no issues, but for drawing, even for my 5-year old nephew, I only give her an Apple pencil, so that she understands pressure just like with a normal pencil

Reactions: bktpl

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Pencil 1 and 2 are just as good for drawing (iPad 10 uses pencil 1). The difference is the charging mechanism (magnetic on the 2, via a cable + adapter on the 1), the feel (pencil 1 is longer and feels a bit heavier) and the tap to change tool (absent on pencil 1). Otherwise they are identical for drawing (contrary to third party tools, which all lack pressure sensitivity).

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Ok, so best choise for us is ipad 10.2 now? Or air 5?
For a child, a 9th Gen 10.2 iPad with a third party pencil is the best choice. It will cost a third of an iPad air 5 with official apple pencil.

The 8th has pencil support too but only 32gb base storage which is too little.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Ok, so best choise for us is ipad 10.2 now? Or air 5?
Air 5 is better of course, but 10.2 is fine too. Just get an original Apple pencil if the purpose is drawing, not a 3rd party one, which has no pressure sensitivity

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The Apple Pencil is awesome and pressure sensitive is lifelike. Buy it straight away if you are:
-A professional artist
-Professionally pursuing to become an artist
-Mainly sketch or draw

If not. Start with a 3rd party pencil if you:
-Want an Apple Pencil but not 100% that you will be committed to it
-Are a child
-Have a limited budget

You can always start with a 3rd party one and ladder to an official pencil.

I have both. Pressure sensitivity is fantastic but you don’t need it for many brushes, if you want to casually paint or manipulate photos. Except for that feature and double tap. My Apple Pencil 2 and 3rd party one feel identical to hold and use.

When I go on holiday or travel to my GF’s house, I usually take the cheaper pencil with me as it’s less daunting to misplace or damage a £20 than a £140 pencil. When my kids use procreate on my iPad, I give them the 3rd party one. I have let them use the official one but for the way they paint, they can’t tell a difference.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020

View attachment 2286492

This is a good starting point for a child. If they turn out to extensively use the pencil and procreate then they ladder up to an ipad Pro with official apple pencil.

If you are going to give her an iPad instead of an affordable drawing tablet, I would get the Apple Pencil. It's just so much better than those generic styli. Having one of those is like having half the experience.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
If you are going to give her an iPad instead of an affordable drawing tablet, I would get the Apple Pencil. It's just so much better than those generic styli. Having one of those is like having half the experience.
Stylus and Apple Pencil alternatives are two different things.

The former works on any touch screen, isn't connected to the device via Bluetooth, lack palm rejection and are generally not great for precision. The latter which I recommend work specifically with iPads with Pencil support.

I own a £28 one that I use with my M1 iPad Pro. It has the same shape, tip, feel, palm rejection, magnetic charging and tilt sensetivity as my Apple Pencil 2. The only features messing are pressure sensetivity and double tap to swap between pencil and eraser. Other than that their differences are imperceptible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.