Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Stylus and Apple Pencil alternatives are two different things.

The former works on any touch screen, isn't connected to the device via Bluetooth, lack palm rejection and are generally not great for precision. The latter which I recommend work specifically with iPads with Pencil support.

I own a £28 one that I use with my M1 iPad Pro. It has the same shape, tip, feel, palm rejection, magnetic charging and tilt sensetivity as my Apple Pencil 2. The only features messing are pressure sensetivity and double tap to swap between pencil and eraser. Other than that their differences are imperceptible.

That's exactly pressure sensitivity that makes all the difference in the world, and is exactly what the Apple Pencil excels at.
Do you NEED pressure sensitivity? If you are just writing, it's just a nice plus. But if you are DRAWING, it captures all the subtle nuances and warmth handmade drawings usually have. So, while not mandatory, it makes all the difference in the world.

There are a few select styli that do have pressure sensitivity on the iPad. But they're very old, and the few ones I found have half the pressure sensitivity of the Apple Pencil.

Reactions: Digitalguy

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Hi there. I use macbook m1 air and iphone 13 pro (will swap to new one next year for usbc, even normal model if not pro) and i wanted to buy ipad. BUT i am not sure if i will use it. To use it to work i would need keyboard and cost of Air 4 with keybiard and pen is very high. What i know is my 8yo kid like to paint very much. And i think, ipad could be very good tool for him. But paying a lot of money only for Him to paint may be overkill, and also, He can destroy it accidentaly making overkill x5 :)
is there any model which can be worth to buy with pen for a kid? Will there be a lot of difference with ergonomy of using it, screen, is it the same comfortable to paint on old ipads and new one, pens - how much v2 differ from v1, general feelings of using it. I thought about ipad2 for more or less 50 euro, but it has low version of system. If i would be sure i will use it by myself very often, for example swapping my macbook for it - i would consider to buy expensive ipad4 or wait for new model with 120hz. But i am pretty sure i will not use it much (maybe i am wrong) so maybe cheap one would be good point for us.
Thank You for Your experience.
Since you will not use iPad much and your child will mostly use it, buy the cheapest iPad and compatible pen. Do not overthink it. Life is too short for overthinking anything 😊

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
Hehe last question, ANY other ipad than 10.2 or air 5 is worth to consider?
Maybe i will use it more to draw something on teams, articles than i planned. So i am asking just to read a little before i decide.
10.2 v10 or 5 or anything other?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Hehe last question, ANY other ipad than 10.2 or air 5 is worth to consider?
Maybe i will use it more to draw something on teams, articles than i planned. So i am asking just to read a little before i decide.
10.2 v10 or 5 or anything other?
Are you considering buying used too?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
No, new one only.
then the only other possible option I would consider is the mini 6, whose size could be a plus or a minus depending on the point of view. And the price is cheaper than the air 5. Supports pencil 2.

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
And air 5 supports it also right and has usbc. One man told me to look for refurbished pro 11 with full guarantee not air 5.

Tell me please, does m1 in ipad gives me anything + with macbook with m1?

Also which of this models will work as second monitor with macbook?

I am watching yt films. What i wonder is to go with model with usb C.
Also, having 10 hours battery maybe would be worth to have cellular with this device. I know iphone will share automaticly net for ipad and macbook but maybe it could be sense to have it already here. I do not see ipad can swap macbook to work on it even with keyboard, but i also wonder if it can be useful. I am sorry but this decision is not very easy hehe.

bktpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
After some films i think i will go directly to 11 pro 11" 128 gen3 refurbished. It costs around 730 euro. So You have any experience with refurbished apple ipads?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
After some films i think i will go directly to 11 pro 11" 128 gen3 refurbished. It costs around 730 euro. So You have any experience with refurbished apple ipads?

I’ve had very good experience with Apple certified refurbished products. Works and looks as good as new plus you get the same warranty.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Hi there. I use macbook m1 air and iphone 13 pro (will swap to new one next year for usbc, even normal model if not pro) and i wanted to buy ipad. BUT i am not sure if i will use it. To use it to work i would need keyboard and cost of Air 4 with keybiard and pen is very high. What i know is my 8yo kid like to paint very much. And i think, ipad could be very good tool for him. But paying a lot of money only for Him to paint may be overkill, and also, He can destroy it accidentaly making overkill x5
Why insert this potentially very distracting layer of tech into his art making process? If it was me, I'd buy the iPad, but save it for when he wants to watch videos or play games or whatever, rather than mixing all that up with painting.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Why insert this potentially very distracting layer of tech into his art making process? If it was me, I'd buy the iPad, but save it for when he wants to watch videos or play games or whatever, rather than mixing all that up with painting.

Because the iPad + Procreate is amazing to draw and paint. It feels very natural to use. IF ONLY Apple allowed us to easily replace the Apple Pencil battery or made it passive... (i.e, no battery needed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.