Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craigf56

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2022
You’re right that what you pick sets the Lock Screen. You can then change the Home Screen. But if I pick a picture of my dog for the Lock Screen I can’t then choose one of the Apple Wallpapers for the Home Screen. It just can’t be done.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
You’re right that what you pick sets the Lock Screen. You can then change the Home Screen. But if I pick a picture of my dog for the Lock Screen I can’t then choose one of the Apple Wallpapers for the Home Screen. It just can’t be done.
Yes you can. However you have to screenshot or save/download the new iPhone 14 or older wallpapers from the web and save them to your photo roll to use them. A pain in the ass - it sucks - but that is how you can do it.

Craigf56

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2022
“Other” Apple based websites have a link to download the new wallpapers:

Maybe Macrumors should do the same?
Yeah, of course you can do it by downloading them as I’ve already actually said. But why not simply let people pick them? They’re on the device. Why do I need them twice! No way can this limitation be described as a good thing. And if something isn’t good it needs to be done differently. Hopefully an update will bring some changes.

Reactions: sahni130

ric_d

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Washington, DC, USA
You set your lock screen first and that sets both lock and home screen. Then you go to the home screen and click customize and one of the circles at the bottom says photos and you can select one photo from your photo gallery for that and that gives you the separate wallpapers.

I believe you can now download the latest iPhone 14 wallpapers and add them to your photos to use those on the home screen.

The new wallpapers “suck” as the priority is always on and dynamic island and such so on older phones you get less with iOS16.
That's not the problem. I want a photo on the lock screen and a wallpaper on the home screen. It cannot be done.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Yeah, of course you can do it by downloading them as I’ve already actually said. But why not simply let people pick them? They’re on the device. Why do I need them twice! No way can this limitation be described as a good thing. And if something isn’t good it needs to be done differently. Hopefully an update will bring some changes.
I agree with you but apparently they don’t want any kind of animation on the home screen wallpaper. So I like the dynamic bubbles and all I get is a live photo version of it now. Home screen is static.

Pick a different lock screen and I have to use a screen shot or saved photo of the bubbles. I said it sucked two days ago and everyone jumped down my throat. 🤣

Anyway a frozen lock screen in AOD at 1htz does not work well with live and dynamic wallpaper. Also dynamic island animations may be another issue so the wallpapers suck and are mostly static. That is my version as to why

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Agree this is convoluted and confusing. Many people will just give up and not use any lock-screen widgets and stick with what they had in iOS 15.
Thanks, I was wondering where did it come from and if I should delete it. I'm referring to the first one without a title.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.