Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Just got my mom a higher-end M1 MacBook Air on eBay. Looks like a great deal, but not such a great deal that it doesn't pass the sniff test. Seller has 200+ feedback with a 100% positive rating. Scrutinizing the listing, absolutely everything checks out except for the image showing the 'About' section where 'Serial number' says '16 GB'.

Just messaged the seller asking them to clarify why it says that before they ship, but I am also curious to know if there is some sort of obvious explanation for this that someone here may know. If something is genuinely wrong here, I am not particularly concerned as eBay's buyer protection is excellent, but does anyone have any guesses as to what's going on here? Maybe they just didn't want to show the serial (many sellers don't) and they're... somewhat skilled at Photoshop? Or is this a bad sign? I would be truly surprised if a 21 year eBay veteran was willing to risk their perfect rep trying to straight-up scam (if that is what is happening), but I guess stranger things have happened. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I’d be more worried the laptop will be activation locked. Reviewing feedback history, this seller doesn’t seem very tech savvy. Plus they haven’t been very active in the last year or so. But, as you said, eBay buyer protection is excellent. Hope it all goes smooth. Great find!

Reactions: collin_

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I’d be more worried the laptop will be activation locked. Reviewing feedback history, this seller doesn’t seem very tech savvy. Plus they haven’t been very active in the last year or so. But, as you said, eBay buyer protection is excellent. Hope it all goes smooth. Great find!
Good point. Thank you!

Reactions: Cape Dave

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
Seller obviously copy & pasted the "16GB" over the Ser.No. in an Image-Editing app.
Look at the distance to the rows above and below. It is way off. You can also see where the thin gray line stops (Over the "Details" button.)
Would not worry me. At least the seller knows that publishing the SerNo in the open internet is not a good idea. :)

If you are concerned about Activation Lock, send the seller this article and ask him to perform the steps:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, obviously the 16GB was a copy/pasted to hide the serial.

One concern, as mentioned, is Activation Lock. Since Apple's locked out the ability to check AL status using a serial number (for valid reasons), it gets a lot harder to know if you have an AL-locked device without actually attempting to set it up. But, as you mention buyer protection is "pretty" good with eBay and once you've set it up, you're over that hurdle and AL won't be a problem in the future.

The other concern with eBay is non-Apple parts used for repairs during "Refurbishment." That can easily be missed during setup and it may be weeks/months before you encounter a problem from it. That's the primary reason I don't trust eBay for these devices.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Seller obviously copy & pasted the "16GB" over the Ser.No. in an Image-Editing app.
Look at the distance to the rows above and below. It is way off. You can also see where the thin gray line stops (Over the "Details" button.)
Would not worry me. At least the seller knows that publishing the SerNo in the open internet is not a good idea. :)

If you are concerned about Activation Lock, send the seller this article and ask him to perform the steps:

One concern, as mentioned, is Activation Lock. Since Apple's locked out the ability to check AL status using a serial number (for valid reasons), it gets a lot harder to know if you have an AL-locked device without actually attempting to set it up. But, as you mention buyer protection is "pretty" good with eBay and once you've set it up, you're over that hurdle and AL won't be a problem in the future.

The other concern with eBay is non-Apple parts used for repairs during "Refurbishment." That can easily be missed during setup and it may be weeks/months before you encounter a problem from it. That's the primary reason I don't trust eBay for these devices.
OH I'm stupid. I see that now. Thank you.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It's still easy to check Activation Lock. Just pretend to trade in your MacBook by entering the serial and it'll tell you.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
"Just pretend to trade in your..."
Doesn't work where I am. Apple offered me a trade-in price for an Activation Locked Mac.
Can't login to your link either.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
IDK about the lock. It's either a brick or it isn't. IF it were fully locked it would be parts at best. He has it priced like it's a full retail book with no issues. If he can't | {terminal} reset password | and sell it as ready to go then something is suspicious. The M1 I'm typing on was being sold by a pawn shop as locked make offer. I paid them $99 and opened it via terminal before I had gotten the change back and walked out. If this MB he is selling is iCloud locked and not just password locked he has nothing worth $1100

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

if you message Apple Support and explain you need to run a serial number to check for activation lock, they will do that for you. I recently got an M1 mini as a server used on Ebay and had them verify the activation lock status for me prior to purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.