Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revjoel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I currently have a Series 1 and am starting to run. I have calibrated my watch correctly and it works fantastic but now I would like to track the location of my runs and am thinking of upgrading to either a used Series 2 or a Series 3. Making calls isn't something I really need on a watch but I would like the gps feature on it so I'm wondering how much I would save by purchasing a used Series 2 over a new Series 3 (or if it's worth it).

Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?

Reactions: spacemnspiff

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Western PA
Series 3, compared to my Dad’s Series 2, it runs circles around it on pure speed. Plus I have a series 3 with lte and use it for running. Nice to not have my phone on me, and if I have an emergency I can call or text, or receive them.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Depends on what you can get the Series 2 for and what shape it's in..

Really the only things I see the S3 (non LTE) giving me is the faster CPU and more room for music. I guess it also has Siri speaking if that matters to you. I don't use Siri at all so it's a meaningless feature to me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I currently have a Series 1 and am starting to run. I have calibrated my watch correctly and it works fantastic but now I would like to track the location of my runs and am thinking of upgrading to either a used Series 2 or a Series 3. Making calls isn't something I really need on a watch but I would like the gps feature on it so I'm wondering how much I would save by purchasing a used Series 2 over a new Series 3 (or if it's worth it).

Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?

If you look online like B&H photo or Swappa, you can find Series 2 Apple Watches. But being that watchOS 5 is approaching, perhaps I would invest in the Series 3 aluminum GPS model. It will serve you longer with watchOS updates and it does have the latest specifications.

Last edited:

jdebuhr

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
Chicago area
I just went through this.. I sold my Series 0 (Original) as I wanted water resistance and a better battery. I was debating on the Series 3 or used Series 2. My son has a Series 2 he bought new and likes it. I decided (and purchased) a Series 2 used on Swappa, I paid ~$220 for it. It is the Nike Edition and while I don't run, it came down to cost. Is the 3 better probably, but the Series 2 has the ceramic backing like the 3 LTE and I really did not want the Cellular service on my watch. I was surprised when my original watch sold for $130 on Swappa.

for me going from the Series 0 to Series 2 was a big jump. if I had the Series 1 I would probably look at the 3 or wait for the next version.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I had the SS S2 and just went to a Nike+LTE. I do think the SS looks nicer overall, but the Series 3 is much faster imo. Everything from Siri to using apps works much much faster. I feel the jump from the Series 2 to Series 3 is more significant than the jump from the S0 to the Series 2 was.

jsd79

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
Being that watchOS 5 is approaching, perhaps I would invest in the Series 3 aluminum GPS model. It will serve you longer with watchOS updates and it does have the latest specifications.

I agree. With Apple updating the OS annually, I think having the latest hardware is a good idea as it will last longer (more OS update cycles).

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for posting this thread. I'm a little different in that I have a Series 2 Nike but seriously considering the upgrade to Series 3. Apps are just so slow to open and I've read the speed alone is worth it. Plus, I'd like to have the cellular option so I don't always need to have my phone. Any comments on going from S2 to S3 (LTE) at this point in time would be appreciated.

revjoel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. This is helpful. I guess I’ll look at the series 3 and try to sell min 1 on swappa which I’ve never used.

Not sold on having cellular on my watch though. I honestly get tired of being available ALL the time.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. This is helpful. I guess I’ll look at the series 3 and try to sell min 1 on swappa which I’ve never used.

Not sold on having cellular on my watch though. I honestly get tired of being available ALL the time.
They sell series 3's without cellular, and they are less expensive than the cellular models.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Alternatively, you don’t need to activate cellular at all. I know this kinda defeats the purpose but there is a choice.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Alternatively, you don’t need to activate cellular at all. I know this kinda defeats the purpose but there is a choice.

I personally have a preference for the stainless model, which is only offered in LTE. But at least you have the option of not activating it which doesn’t take away the experience of using the Watch.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I have an opportunity to buy a used series 3 LTE (42mm aluminum) for $300.
Do you think that's worth it?
I'm just worried that apple care will not be available, as I do a lot of weight lifting and hitting everything with my other watches.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Did the person buy AppleCare? I want to say that is transferable.
How would that process look like?
This lady I'm dealing with doesn't seem to know a thing and if she does not want deal with calling Apple then she would most likely opt to get her money back.
All in all I doubt she bought the Apple care

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
If you know the person and can see the watch beforehand, that is a pretty good deal on an LTE Series 3.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
If you know the person and can see the watch beforehand, that is a pretty good deal on an LTE Series 3.
Don't know the person, but will try offer $250 if Apple care is not included. She is pretty firm on that $300 price, but rather spend the extra money to get it insured.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
I went from a S1 that I purchased in August of last year to a S3 (GPS) Nike edition which I purchased two weeks ago and haven’t looked back since!!

Reactions: revjoel

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have an opportunity to buy a used series 3 LTE (42mm aluminum) for $300.
Do you think that's worth it?
I'm just worried that apple care will not be available, as I do a lot of weight lifting and hitting everything with my other watches.

I also primarily do a lot of weight lifting. Its difficult not having the Apple Watch bumping into things with the weights, but I would suggest you could purchase a bumper that surrounds the Apple Watch casing to help protect it.

Did the person buy AppleCare? I want to say that is transferable.

“If you sell or give away your Apple device, you can also transfer the ownership of your AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ in regions that allow it. You can also transfer your AppleCare coverage plan between your own devices that are the same type of product and within 30 days of your original device purchase. “

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I also primarily do a lot of weight lifting. Its difficult not having the Apple Watch bumping into things with the weights, but I would suggest you could purchase a bumper that surrounds the Apple Watch casing to help protect it.

“If you sell or give away your Apple device, you can also transfer the ownership of your AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ in regions that allow it. You can also transfer your AppleCare coverage plan between your own devices that are the same type of product and within 30 days of your original device purchase. “

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712
Ma'am is pretty firm with watch. Although it is a good offer I am going to pass up on it. The watch is not insured, but will keep me on wait list if it does not sell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.