Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015

The Apple Watch won't pull more than .07 amps and 3 watts. At least in my tests - plugged into chargers that can do 2.4a and 12w+. I tried 3 different charging cables.

View attachment 961085

I’ve also measured output to the watch and for me it maxes out at 0.52A at about 5.1V. Once the watch hits 80% it drops to 0.3A

However, I haven’t yet been able to figure out how to maintain this... seems that the watch overheats when charging at 0.5A.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

phoenixcat

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2016
So are we saying both chargers are the same? If so how does the S6 charge faster?
I have a S1 and S3 charger lying around the house along with my S6 so I'd like to know if they all charge at the same rate or whether I should use the S6 one.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
So are we saying both chargers are the same? If so how does the S6 charge faster?
I have a S1 and S3 charger lying around the house along with my S6 so I'd like to know if they all charge at the same rate or whether I should use the S6 one.
Because apple watch like phones, computers, electric cars etc. has advanced circuitry controlling the charging and how much power they will draw from the charger to prevent damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.