Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your overall feeelings about the new MacBook Pro?

• Hate it

Votes: 24 16.0%
  • Love it

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • It's good but too expensive

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • I don't care for the touch bar

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • I really like the touch bar

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have other issues with it

Votes: 20 13.3%

• Total voters

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
All I can think of is how much people were looking forward to Star Wars Episode I and how much of a piece of garbage it was.

Now, thinking about how much all of us were looking forward to this new MacBook Pro only to find out that they just added the glorified touch bar and changed all the ports.

Touch bar

Yes, it's cool but so are tattoos. Doesn't mean I want one.

The touch bar is a step back for productivity, even the people demonstrating the touch bar in the event today were very awkward operating it.

Tactile keys serves a purpose, you don't have to look at your hands. "Pro" users are very efficient with key commands and their workflow. Now, with this overpriced addition we have to slow our productivity down to look away from the screen to run a simple command as simple as hitting ESC

What about battery life? how much will this touch bar affect battery life?​

USB C Ports

These are great, but for a portable device such as a laptop? Not so great.

Yeah we get it, but this just adds the clutter of more junk we're going to need to carry around with us. We're gonna look like Steve Wozniack's backpack just so we can use the same accessories we could have last year.​

Price

This is a pretty huge let down. $2,799.00 for the 512GB model...

Are you trolling us???

(That's $3,499.00 for our neighbors to the north, and also yours truly)

Thoughts?

What do you think about it?

Am I crazy to not like this?

I'm honestly considering getting last years MBP refurb or switching to Dell/Microsoft.​
qN7rEad.png

Last edited:

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
How many do we need for Apple to realize that this was an awful update? The real solution is for people to not give in and spend so much money on a computer that they don't 100% like.

Reactions: jerry16 and c0ppo

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
We need at least 40 more of these threads.

We need 40 more Apple sales and marketing employees on here to see what we think.

I'm not buying this crap and all of us need to take protest so they stop trying to gouge us

The shareholders won't be happy about this

Reactions: c0ppo and AAPLGeek

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
That's a poor and anecdotal observation, being this is the second Mac thread I have commented on. Only 38 more to go.
Your observational skills are also quite honed and your use of exaggeration exemplary.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I think it's exactly what you were all asking for yesterday.

USB c tb3, tick

Colours, tick

Better screen, tick

Innovation (toolbar), tick

Thinner lighter with the latest chips, tick

Polaris dGPU on the 15 inch, tick

Keep the headphone jack, tick

Drop outdated models, tick

Really the only thing you have to complain about is the price and they are pretty similar to 2012 retina introductory prices.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You're observational skills are also quite honed and your use of exaggeration exemplary.

I think you meant "Your" (Not you're) which entitles ownership to my "Honed" skills. It appears My observation skills are more refined than yours. What's next Mr. Stark?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I think the update itself is fine... laptops are a mature product. You cant expect it looking too much different and there's a limit to what you can add to it. The touchbar sounds nice, though it remains to be seen whether its something people use as a gimmick briefly and never look at again or something that will truly change the way we work. Only time will tell.

I think the only issue is the price. If they kept last year's price points, 90% of the complaints would disappear.

The good news is that I think this will be like the MacBook Air's. They premiered as crippled machines at $1799 (I know, I bought one back then!) and over the period of a few years went down to $999... and that was with an SSD (which originally cost $3500).

I have a feeling the pro with touch-bar will go down to $1499 or even $1399 eventually, once Apple recoups a bit of their initial investment and economies of scale really kick in.

NOTE: Remember, the MacBook Pro Retina 15" debuted at $2199 and was dropped to $1999 upon its first update.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

The touch bar is a step back for productivity, even the people demonstrating the touch bar in the event today were very awkward operating it.

Tactile keys serves a purpose, you don't have to look at your hands. "Pro" users are very efficient with key commands and their workflow. Now, with this overpriced addition we have to slow our productivity down to look away from the screen to run a simple command as simple as hitting ESC​
That is exactly my issue.

I rarely look at my keyboard, my fingers know where things lie — I can feel them — and unless I am using a keystroke combo my fingers are on my trackpad or holding a stylus.

Of course the Touch Bar has potential, but as I see it now — admittedly before a "hands on" test — this will not enhance my productivity.

Edit: A bit like driving a car… my eyes are on the road. I don't look at the gear stick to change a gear. I don't look at the indicators when I want to signal… I don't look at the windscreen wipers. I don't look at the brakes to slow down. You now where they are.
Imagine if it was all a flat surface… nightmare.

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
I think it's exactly what you were all asking for yesterday.

USB c tb3, tick

Colours, tick

Better screen, tick

Innovation (toolbar), tick

Thinner lighter with the latest chips, tick

Polaris dGPU on the 15 inch, tick

Keep the headphone jack, tick

Drop outdated models, tick

Really the only thing you have to complain about is the price and they are pretty similar to 2012 retina introductory prices.

Agreed.....except you missed out the "negatives" column:

No USB, tick

No MagSafe, tick

No SD Port, tick

No HDMI port, tick

Last Gen Processors, tick

Soldered RAM, tick

Low installed RAM, tick

No Lighting port (as 3.5mm is dead), tick

exorbitantly priced storage, tick

dead feeling keyboard, tick

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
no negatives for me all of those things are extraneous, and I don't know how you got a feel of the keyboard yet but good effort.

Storage is in line with the cost of those parts. 8 or 16 gb of ram starting is standard.

My only surprise was the lack of ddr4 ram

They gave exactly what was asked for and dropped all the ******** can't ask for more than that.

And there are only skylake processors in the variants that the pros use Kabylake is months away if I have to read that nonsense one more time I'll scream.

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
I think the update itself is fine... laptops are a mature product. You cant expect it looking too much different and there's a limit to what you can add to it. The touchbar sounds nice, though it remains to be seen whether its something people use as a gimmick briefly and never look at again or something that will truly change the way we work. Only time will tell.

I think the only issue is the price. If they kept last year's price points, 90% of the complaints would disappear.

Agree entirely, it looks like a great laptop and I'm sure most people who buy it will love it. It's very expensive and I'm still tempted.

Apple's design direction has clearly been the thinnest laptop they can create for several years now. Kaby Lake CPU's aren't fully available until next year so the choice was hold off for three to six months or release it now?

The touch bar is nice but it's not a game changer, it's a small innovative feature which will be of use to some.

I don't even mind the switch to all usb type-c, it's going to be a pain in the a..., it's a commercially driven decision but it is clearly an attempt to move us on to an ultimately superior technology. USB's drive me insane (especially micro), why can I never get them the right way round?

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Agreed.....except you missed out the "negatives" column:

No USB, tick

No MagSafe, tick

No SD Port, tick

No HDMI port, tick

Last Gen Processors, tick

Soldered RAM, tick

Low installed RAM, tick

No Lighting port (as 3.5mm is dead), tick

exorbitantly priced storage, tick

dead feeling keyboard, tick

USB-C counts... though will need an adapter. Luckily I rarely use USB stuff these days, so it won't be as big of a pain as it would be if this happened 3 years ago.

MagSafe isn't that important. Most people in the PC world get by fine without it. With a 10 hour battery you can go an entire work day at the coffee shop or co-working space (or even at home) without plugging in. I am shocked by how many people stay plugged in 100% of the time. Its not convenient and its not good for the battery. Maybe some people can start changing that behavior.

SD cards are very rarely used. I think I inserted maybe twice in the last 12 months. No big deal with an adapter.

16GB RAM isnt very little, and upgradability is a thing of the past. I don't think I upgraded any computer in the last maybe 8 years.

Pricing is a valid point including on storage but when buying a $2k+ machine the assumption is made that you can afford it.

I think the new keyboard on the MacBook is just fine, so I guess that part is subjective.

Reactions: Gixene and myscrnnm

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Agree that it would have been nice if Apple included a Thunderbolt port at least or even a USB-A port, they're just jumping from standard to standard all over the place over the last few years.

ckisgen

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I probably could have lived with everything else if they'd kept the pricing about the same. But for me, no magsafe and required dongles to connect literally every peripheral I own PLUS a several hundred dollar price bump? I don't think so.

I'm going to be shopping for the best deal I can find on last year's MBP.

Which is frustrating because I've been looking to update from my late 2008 unibody MacBook for a while now but had been waiting for the keynote as i was sure I'd be going with their latest and greatest. Fail.

Reactions: Naimfan

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
HATE IT.

Stupidly thin (lame battery, lame CPU, underpowered GPU) and stupidly expensive....

It's still the most balanced portable on the market and all the silicon is the latest available and the best in class. So what you are really saying s you never wanted a Mac in the first place Apple have never made the computer you want.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
It's still the most balanced portable on the market and all the silicon is the latest available and the best in class. So what you are really saying s you never wanted a Mac in the first place Apple have never made the computer you want.

No I wanted a MacBook Pro with more battery and a more powerful GPU, this could have been easily achieved if they did not keep going for thinnes. It is just an asinine decision, they have the Macbook for that....
[doublepost=1477649395][/doublepost]
the actual difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake

Irrilevant in my post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.