Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your overall feeelings about the new MacBook Pro?

• Hate it

Votes: 24 16.0%
  • Love it

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • It's good but too expensive

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • I don't care for the touch bar

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • I really like the touch bar

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have other issues with it

Votes: 20 13.3%

• Total voters

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No I wanted a MacBook Pro with more battery and a more powerful GPU, this could have been easily achieved if they did not keep going for thinnes. It is just an asinine decision, they have Macbook for that....

Exactly something that Apple have never produced they always go for middle of the road graphics on their portables to make them more portable and keep them good on battery life. You are expecting Apple to do something completely different from before, surprise surprise they didn't.

Seems to me you are the foolish one for expecting Apple to make something they don't believe in.

If you want top graphics you'll need a big thick laptop with multiple fans etc, Apple will never make that and have never made that even the 17 inch just had the same mediocre graphics as the 15 inch at the time.

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Along with misgivings I have about the dubious "progress" that the Touch Bar represents, I find it both alarming and depressing that that's it, features wise, for the MacBook Pro for the next 3 years plus. Meaning my late '13 15" rMBP will be functionally very similar to what Apple will be flogging in 2019.

Yes yes, it's a very mature product, but still.

Reactions: Ghost31

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Everyone seems to overlook that the battery has been reduced from 99.5khw to 75khw for 15" and 75khw to 54khw for 13".

That is worthy of a riot. Skylake inefficiencies does not mean you gimp the battery 25% nor will it make up for it (no matter what Apple like to display as run times) - more so now that their isn't an iGPU version of the 15".

Feel bad for those who get the Air replacement version of the 13" Pro, only to see 1/2 the battery life.
[doublepost=1477650846][/doublepost]
What the hell? Lame CPU? Do you know the actual difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake?

They could have used 6870 instead of 6820. The CPU's they are using, they might as well released this 10 months ago.

Reactions: ugru

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Apple will never make that and have never made that even the 17 inch just had the same mediocre graphics as the 15 inch at the time.

Dumb decision in the past and even more stupid decision now that GPU are far more energy efficent...

Just leave the 2015 form factor with 12/13 hour battery and a Radeon 480M

Are you twelve and have learned a new word??

Retorting with personal insults for the lack of valid arguments? Who's the 12 y/o?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm saddened because I may very well not be buying any new macs in the future, I have a very nice iMac that will last me for several years - at least I expect that. My mobility needs are such that I'll be passing on the MBP because of the price, and lack of features. The future may change but I can't see myself buying a MBP until Apple provides a laptop that fits my needs.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Dumb decision in the past and even more stupid decision now that CPU and GPU are far more energy efficent...

Just leave the 2015 form factor with 15 hour battery and a Radeon 480M

Retorting with personal insults for the lack of valid arguments? Who's the 12 y/o?

My argument is perfectly valid Apple did what they always do you got upset about it I just don't get it. Anyone who expected anything else but the updates that came out just haven't been paying attention for a decade.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Its really the price. just out of this world more expensive than before.

My 2011 high end 17" MBP was £2,200 all in with applecare. This high end MBPr is £3,160 all in with applecare + dongles.

Thats about £1,000 more

£2,000 is a premium price. £3,000 makes you wonder if you can afford to keep buying Macs at all.

agazoo

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
Apple will be offering special type of glue so that one could glue adapter right on the USB device; 59.99% on sale;

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
It seems ridiculous that they make one model with a proper keyboard and then give it only 2 x USB-C ports. I've got no problem with USB-C itself, as it's becoming more and more common. But I'm sure I'm going to need more than one USB plus the charging port. Or I could get the next model up and get more ports, but then I pay more and don't get a proper escape key and function keys.

On the plus side, they kept the headphone jack.

CarbonCycles

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Wow, feeling pretty bummed about this update. I'm thinking Apple has jumped the shark as a premium brand. They focus on markets that seem to be trivial and their latest earnings reports are starting to reflect either the consumer's indifference or market saturation of their mobile products. With this latest "innovative" update, I am seriously debating if my next purchase will be a straight up Ubuntu laptop. .oO(If Steve was alive, I imagine he would be pretty upset with Tim)

ETA - Tim, one last thing. There are people who use MBPs daily in their profession to create, analyze and make the world better. Please stop listening to the people who want "the latest and greatest shiny trinket". Enterprise/professionals need functional, reliable and performant products...not something they can accessorize with their latest hand/man bag. Mkay, thanks!

Last edited:

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I think it's exactly what you were all asking for yesterday.

USB c tb3, tick

Colours, tick

Better screen, tick

Innovation (toolbar), tick

Thinner lighter with the latest chips, tick

Polaris dGPU on the 15 inch, tick

Keep the headphone jack, tick

Drop outdated models, tick

Really the only thing you have to complain about is the price and they are pretty similar to 2012 retina introductory prices.

Not me...

I was really hoping for a redesign to a clamshell body not just thinner. It's better for typing. And I would sacrifice the larger trackpad for a smaller one to get that design.

Speaking of typing, I was really hoping for keys with longer key travel. I won't know how it types until I use it but it doesn't look like we got that.

Losing sd card slot. Having removable storage is always a good feature to have.

Losing magsafe

Don't understand removing the headphone jack in the iPhone but keeping it the the MBP or using usb-c in the mac and using lighting in the iphone. One standard would be nice this way I could charge/sync my iphone to my MBP and use the headphones in my MBP to listen to music. It would do away with the "I can't charge and use my headphones at the same time" problem...at least most of the time when you're at your desk.

The bad thing about not getting the things you want/need in a macbook redesign it that unlike the iPhone, you're going to have to wait a few years for the next make over.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm saddened because I may very well not be buying any new macs in the future, I have a very nice iMac that will last me for several years - at least I expect that. My mobility needs are such that I'll be passing on the MBP because of the price, and lack of features. The future may change but I can't see myself buying a MBP until Apple provides a laptop that fits my needs.

Same thing here. I have a very recent imac that i'm happy with. A decent 13" MBP. But I wouldn't buy one of these new ones right now.

This reminds me of windows 8 with MS. That's the final straw that sent me over to Macs. But this isn't the end of the world. I'm not that much into laptops. Work provides my choice and that's a windows one since a Mac couldn't do it. I get windows laptops every few months (amazon vine) to review and keep so it's not like I NEED one.

I got a surface studio preordered for work. I'd probably opt for a gaming windows desktop at home next but still waiting though I'd take that surface monitor.

Back to the windows 8 reference. I didn't like what MS was signaling at the time. Changing defaults used for windows. Pushing metro garbage apps. Windows 10 was a step back from that nonsense. Now Apple likewise is just being inconsistent. Where's that USB-C iphone? That's intentional to keep lightning and it sucks. What's the deal with needing thinner and lighter? Why cram a 12" chicklet kb onto the 15" laptop? What is Apple doing to counter MS's creativity push with touchscreen input? An ipad would be an obvious choice to double as a wacom but you'd think it would need usb-c. Heck, you could almost embed an ipad mini into the 15" laptop to serve as touchpad as well and provide a better redesgined apple pencil for it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I am sort of ambivalent. It seems like a fine upgrade, but just more of iteration on a theme. Perhaps that is enough for many and Apple. But I was hoping for something more groundbreaking. My 2 cents.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
If I really, REALLY needed to upgrade I might be able to live with the dongle hell. I'd hate every second of it, but if I had no choices I'd just bite my tongue and go for it. I might be able to live with the touchbar even though it removes many of the features I use daily with worse workarounds.

If I were really desperate to upgrade I might even overlook that tiny battery. No mattery what kind of battery savings they pull out of that hardware it doesn't make a licking difference the second you actually start to work, taxing the hardware. You will be looking at working only plugged in for any reasonable time.

The thing that really kills it for me though, is the keyboard. Tried it a few times in store, not going to touch a machine with that piece of junk. The only good thing to say about that keyboard is that it makes the Magic Keyboard feel less crappy. Not good, not even mediocre. Just a bit less crappy.

Hoping they will add a real keyboard at least as a CTO build option for the next version. Otherwise the one I'm using now is the last Macbook I buy - I can easily wait for the next one, but this one will be ok for a year-two max. I've never had the same Macbook this long before.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
The keyboard was the real deal-breaker for me, although a lot of other things were bad. Even without the keyboard problems, I'd have been starting to switch over, because I am not willing to pay $1k+ more for a machine with soldered-on memory and storage than I would for a machine without them, I'm sick of glossy displays, and so on.

... Of course, since then I've also seen many more problems I didn't know about back when this thread was posted.

So I'm bummed. I loved MacOS, it's still my favorite operating system, but Apple's clearly abandoned the high end, and stopped focusing on reliability as much as they focus on flashy gimmicks. I remember when I simply assumed that a Mac would be more stable than a Windows machine. Then I got a 2015MBP that had about a 30% chance of completely dying with kernel failures of some weird kind if I swapped between clamshell mode with an external monitor and non-clamshell mode, so I just had to get used to shutting everything down and doing a full power cycle between states.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.