Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Our son is on duty in S Korea and his hard drive failed. Will it work if I set up a new HD with my family-pack SL here in the US and send it over to him?

I have an MB Air and he has a late '07 Macbook. I think it will work but I want to double check.

TIA,
Dale

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
yah it'll work. the initial boot might be slow because it has to figure out what new drivers to use. but ye, SL comes with drivers for all the hardware it can run on.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Thank you both!

It's easier to ship drives than Macbooks. He sent me his dead drive and I was able to recover his data. Now I'm setting up a new drive and I'll just migrate his data back in...

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Well MacSales ships directly to APO addresses. I bet he would love an SSD drive for his Mac Book. It would feel like a new laptop with an SSD.

So does B&H ... that's where I got mine from.

Thanks for the tips. I had to recover the data from the bad disk which he sent me, though, and then set it up. I'm the nerd in the family...

He needs a lot of space so an SSD with the right capacity for him is cost-prohibitive for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.