Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dicere

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
Western Australia
I've tried teleport, which used to work without any problems when I was using Intel Lion and PPC Leopard - not happening now. I've tried Synergy, swapping client and server - not happening. I tried connecting the two computers via ethernet - the systems still don't see each other. I got all excited when I saw that Symless had a "universal" application of Synergy they were maintaining - I paid my money over and (now having access to their help forum) discovered their Mac client was 'universal' to users of 10.9 and up. I got a little bit snarky when I wrote my refund demand. I did try mixing their application on Sierra with the PPC client on Leopard before exercising my snark, but still nothing happening.
I am officially out of ideas, except for rolling my MacMini back to Snow Leopard, getting teleport set up and rebuilding from there, but what a job! Please help?
[doublepost=1488336289][/doublepost]I should have added, I am open to the idea of a KVM physical switch, but I'd like a recommended one for PPC macs before shelling out. My desk is driving me nuts - I keep reaching for the wrong keyboard :(

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 458

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I use Teleport between all my Macs, and I believe I can help!

Try using Teleport v 1.0.2, which works on Intel Macs, but is compatible with the older versions as well. The reason for this is because v 1.2 is actually an application now, instead of a pref pane. I've tested this on El Cap, as well as with Sierra, and using it between PPCs on 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 (those use v 1.0.1). :)

The site is here: http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/
And the download is here: http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/downloads/teleport102.zip

Dicere

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2017
Western Australia
You are a sodding genius. I cleaned out the system caches on both machine with Onyx (just to get rid of the tangle of stuff I had tried and failed with) reinstalled Sierra on the macmini from the app store (which gave me time to henna my hair, so not a bad thing) replaced the ethernet cable linking the two machines just in case, rebooted both machines and with bated breath installed the preference panes on both machines - and blow me down if it didn't work perfectly. 1.02 was the answer. If you don't mind me going full ocker, you little ripper!
(I genuinely grew up with people saying things like that. My dad was senior wrangler on a horse stud when I was born. Australian slang sounds as fake as hell, but it really did exist.)
So happy. I've been grumpy all day trying to get this to work.

Reactions: Slix

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
You are a sodding genius. I cleaned out the system caches on both machine with Onyx (just to get rid of the tangle of stuff I had tried and failed with) reinstalled Sierra on the macmini from the app store (which gave me time to henna my hair, so not a bad thing) replaced the ethernet cable linking the two machines just in case, rebooted both machines and with bated breath installed the preference panes on both machines - and blow me down if it didn't work perfectly. 1.02 was the answer. If you don't mind me going full ocker, you little ripper!
(I genuinely grew up with people saying things like that. My dad was senior wrangler on a horse stud when I was born. Australian slang sounds as fake as hell, but it really did exist.)
So happy. I've been grumpy all day trying to get this to work.
No problem! Glad it worked just like a charm for you. :)

randalltrini

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
No problem! Glad it worked just like a charm for you. :)

Hey Guys,

By any chance do you have that 1.0.2.zip? The link/website seems to be down. Any help would be appreciated.

Randall
[doublepost=1519205554][/doublepost]
Hey Guys,

By any chance do you have that 1.0.2.zip? The link/website seems to be down. Any help would be appreciated.

Randall

Ok. Found it on macintoshgarden.org. Not getting to to enable assistive devices on my old iMac running El Cap. Any suggestions?

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Hey Guys,

Randall

Ok. Found it on macintoshgarden.org. Not getting to to enable assistive devices on my old iMac running El Cap. Any suggestions?

I came across this problem too. I couldn't figure out how to get Teleport to work between El Cap and Tiger/Leopard because El Cap had an issue with v1.0.2 and the more recent version which did work on the newer Macs, didn't run on the older Macs.

I did some further digging into Macports and discovered Synergy v1.6.3 (not the Symless payware versions 1.8+) which works beautifully on every OS X version from Tiger through to High Sierra, plus Linux, Windows and MorphOS (to a degree).

I use this version of Synergy all the time and operate everything with a single Apple wireless (magic) mouse and bluetooth keyboard for all of my desktop Macs (from the Sawtooth '99 to my iMac '09). I wrote up a guide here:
Synergy HOWTO - Keyboard & Mouse Sharing (PowerPC Mac Edition)

Note that Macports and Xcode are required to be installed on each Mac to get this older version up and going.

randalltrini

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
I came across this problem too. I couldn't figure out how to get Teleport to work between El Cap and Tiger/Leopard because El Cap had an issue with v1.0.2 and the more recent version which did work on the newer Macs, didn't run on the older Macs.

I did some further digging into Macports and discovered Synergy v1.6.3 (not the Symless payware versions 1.8+) which works beautifully on every OS X version from Tiger through to High Sierra, plus Linux, Windows and MorphOS (to a degree).

I use this version of Synergy all the time and operate everything with a single Apple wireless (magic) mouse and bluetooth keyboard for all of my desktop Macs (from the Sawtooth '99 to my iMac '09). I wrote up a guide here:
Synergy HOWTO - Keyboard & Mouse Sharing (PowerPC Mac Edition)

Note that Macports and Xcode are required to be installed on each Mac to get this older version up and going.

Hey,

Thanks for the guidance! Will try it and see later when I get back infront of the iMac.

RD

Reactions: AphoticD

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Hey Guys,

Randall

1.0.2 on El Cap and 1.0.1 on Tiger should work together. Here is the Wayback Machine link: https://web.archive.org/web/2017062...m/software/teleport/downloads/teleport102.zip

EDIT: Ohh, I see what you're saying. I just tried to reinstall it to see what problem you might be having. First, when the "Disabled access for assistive devices" popup shows up, force quit System Preferences and click Disable. Then, open System Preferences back up and don't enable Teleport yet, but go to the Security pref pane I show here, and enable it there, then go back to the Teleport pane and enable it. They must have changed some System Preference security thing at some point that "breaks" this, without the workaround I mentioned. :)

The option is here in System Preferences for enabling Accessibility devices.
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 5.43.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

randalltrini

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
1.0.2 on El Cap and 1.0.1 on Tiger should work together. Here is the Wayback Machine link: https://web.archive.org/web/2017062...m/software/teleport/downloads/teleport102.zip

EDIT: Ohh, I see what you're saying. I just tried to reinstall it to see what problem you might be having. First, when the "Disabled access for assistive devices" popup shows up, force quit System Preferences and click Disable. Then, open System Preferences back up and don't enable Teleport yet, but go to the Security pref pane I show here, and enable it there, then go back to the Teleport pane and enable it. They must have changed some System Preference security thing at some point that "breaks" this, without the workaround I mentioned. :)

The option is here in System Preferences for enabling Accessibility devices.
View attachment 751971

Hey Slix,

Thanks for the reply, but I neglected to mention that I upgraded to El Cap on the old imac. Uninstalled teleport and reinstalled just to see, but it still does not show up in the accessibility window as an option to "tick". I've tried adding it using the "+" symbol and navigating to the preferences pane folder, but it does not allow me to select it.

Any other ideas? It installs fine under sierra on my macbook pro. Do I need to upgrade the iMac to Sierra?

RD
[doublepost=1519351513][/doublepost]
Hey Slix,

Thanks for the reply, but I neglected to mention that I upgraded to El Cap on the old imac. Uninstalled teleport and reinstalled just to see, but it still does not show up in the accessibility window as an option to "tick". I've tried adding it using the "+" symbol and navigating to the preferences pane folder, but it does not allow me to select it.

Any other ideas? It installs fine under sierra on my macbook pro. Do I need to upgrade the iMac to Sierra?

RD

Ah figured it out. Had to enable accessibility for "system preferences" then teleport shows up after trying to enable it from the preference pane. Click "Disable" return to the accessibility setting and enable it there now that its shown up.

Thanks for you help tho' Slix! It got me thinking about similarly clicking the disable button.

Reactions: AphoticD and Slix

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Ah figured it out. Had to enable accessibility for "system preferences" then teleport shows up after trying to enable it from the preference pane. Click "Disable" return to the accessibility setting and enable it there now that its shown up.

Thanks for you help tho' Slix! It got me thinking about similarly clicking the disable button.
Great! Glad to hear you got it working. Does it play nicely with your old Mac like you hoped? :)

randalltrini

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
Great! Glad to hear you got it working. Does it play nicely with your old Mac like you hoped? :)

It does! Much better than an old synergy version I got from another thread here, which was always dropping the connection. In addition, teleport is stable and shows the nice visual indicator when you are on the other machine's screen. Drag and drop does not seem to work though as it freezes the cursor with the "plus" symbol. Also, when it wakes from sleep, it seems to deactivate teleport.

Reactions: Slix

RossGGG

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Has anyone gotten this to work in MacOS 10.14 (Mojave)?
I can't seem to get teleport to activate/stay activated. At no point in the process is there a "Disable" button as described above.

I did manage to add teleportd to the Accessibility security pane manually by opening the folder /Library/PreferencePanes/teleport.prefPane/Contents/Resources in Finder and then dragging teleportd to the preferences window.

1584911692242.png

The problem I'm having is, whenever I go to the teleport preference pane and check "Activate teleport", it doesn't see any shared devices and the "Activate teleport" option becomes unchecked if I leave the preference pane and reload it.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Has anyone gotten this to work in MacOS 10.14 (Mojave)?
I can't seem to get teleport to activate/stay activated. At no point in the process is there a "Disable" button as described above.

I did manage to add teleportd to the Accessibility security pane manually by opening the folder /Library/PreferencePanes/teleport.prefPane/Contents/Resources in Finder and then dragging teleportd to the preferences window.

View attachment 900524
The problem I'm having is, whenever I go to the teleport preference pane and check "Activate teleport", it doesn't see any shared devices and the "Activate teleport" option becomes unchecked if I leave the preference pane and reload it.
I do see the same behavior you're describing on Mojave. I hadn't noticed it until now, so I don't know when exactly it broke. Unfortunately it may be broken in Mojave and above now. :(

Last edited:

wongweimama

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
I use Teleport between all my Macs, and I believe I can help!

Try using Teleport v 1.0.2, which works on Intel Macs, but is compatible with the older versions as well. The reason for this is because v 1.2 is actually an application now, instead of a pref pane. I've tested this on El Cap, as well as with Sierra, and using it between PPCs on 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 (those use v 1.0.1). :)

The site is here: http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/
And the download is here: http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/downloads/teleport102.zip
Hi guys, both my Macs are connected to the same wifi. I have enabled accessibility for teleport. I have clicked activate teleport on both, and share this Mac on the Mac I wanna share.

But I can't see another Mac on either device. It says "no shared Mac found on local network"

Please help. Thank you so much.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Hi guys, both my Macs are connected to the same wifi. I have enabled accessibility for teleport. I have clicked activate teleport on both, and share this Mac on the Mac I wanna share.

But I can't see another Mac on either device. It says "no shared Mac found on local network"

Please help. Thank you so much.
What version of Teleport are you using? What versions of OS X are you using? Try a restart of Teleport on both machines.

Teleport is no longer supported on modern macOS, but there has been work to make it open source and function on newer OSes. I have personally used this version on 10.10, 10.11, and 12 and it seems to work alright. https://github.com/johndbritton/teleport

wongweimama

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
What version of Teleport are you using? What versions of OS X are you using? Try a restart of Teleport on both machines.

Teleport is no longer supported on modern macOS, but there has been work to make it open source and function on newer OSes. I have personally used this version on 10.10, 10.11, and 12 and it seems to work alright. https://github.com/johndbritton/teleport
Dear Slix, thanks for your reply. I 10.15 and 10.13 respectively. I use the newest release of Teleport 1.3.5. The GitHub page says it works on big Sur so I guess my versions are not too new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.