Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like to have the mute/rotation lock back?

• Yes

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 46.5%

• Total voters

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I never used it for sound, but it was extremely useful for rotation lock.

One argument for the removal is that there is no space, but this could be fixed by using the iPhone style switch. Another argument is that it doesn't matter because it can be done in software. But this method is much slower, especially now with iOS 10.

It's not an essential feature but I think it'll be really nice to have (like no camera bump on the 9.7" iPad Pro).
What do you think?

EDIT: A lot of people seem to be talking bout the mute functionality. Personally, I don't care about that due to the fact you can use the volume buttons. I'm referring to the rotation lock functionality.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I have gotten used to the current situation without the physical switch, it has stopped bothering me at some stage.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I bought my iPad Pro on Wednesday and just about 20 minutes ago, I realized there was no mute switch like on my iPad Mini 2. It was nice to have when I wanted to quickly silence the iPad. I guess now I have to use the volume down button but now, that requires turning the iPad on, unlocking it and then using the button.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I upgraded from an iPad 4 to a Pro 9.7 and to be honest the lack of the mute switch never bothered me. I did use it when it was there, though, but I don't care if they bring or don't bring it back.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why would there be no space for a teeny tiny switch? It's just one of those arbitrary decisions Apple made for no apparent reason.

To be fair, Apple is a multi-billion dollar consumer electronics company. I doubt that they make any decisions about the designs and functionalities of their products arbitrarily. Whether we can guess or agree with those reasons is something entirely different though...

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I bet Apple is searching ways to eliminate ALL mechanical switches, including power and volume. They already did it with the home button, which is not a mechanical switch anymore and will completely disappear from the iPhone 8.

The next step is to find a convenient way to control the volume. Swiping the screen up and down is one way to do it but how convenient or user friendly would that be is debatable.

The hardest one to eliminate will be the power switch. I think that will be with us for a while.

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
I use AssistiveTouch, but unlike the iPhone, I can't add a mute option for some stupid Apple reason on the iPad. Since the iPad is great for content viewing/listening, the lack of this option on the iPad is ludicrous.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I bet Apple is searching ways to eliminate ALL mechanical switches, including power and volume. They already did it with the home button, which is not a mechanical switch anymore and will completely disappear from the iPhone 8.

The next step is to find a convenient way to control the volume. Swiping the screen up and down is one way to do it but how convenient or user friendly would that be is debatable.

The hardest one to eliminate will be the power switch. I think that will be with us for a while.
That's true, and I never expect Apple to bring this back. While they could implement things like volume controls into the screen, another way they could do it is by having pressure and motion sensitivity on the sides (this could work by simply having the screen extend over the sides).

Reactions: bingeciren

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I still use my iPad mini 2 from time to time; having the orientation lock is one of the best things about it!

Reactions: millydog

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I still use my iPad mini 2 from time to time; having the orientation lock is one of the best things about it!
What has changed? You posting like the lock is gone
[doublepost=1486250848][/doublepost]
Holding in the volume down button for about a second mutes it. Still now as fast as flipping a switch, but it's something.
I think You misunderstood, I meant slide up control center and like magic there are both buttons. Though i admit I only watch James Bond movies, I don't play him in real life so instant mute isn't a big deal for me. ;)

Mylo130

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
I never used it for sound, but it was extremely useful for rotation lock.

One argument for the removal is that there is no space, but this could be fixed by using the iPhone style switch. Another argument is that it doesn't matter because it can be done in software. But this method is much slower, especially now with iOS 10.

It's not an essential feature but I think it'll be really nice to have (like no camera bump on the 9.7" iPad Pro).
What do you think?

EDIT: A lot of people seem to be talking bout the mute functionality. Personally, I don't care about that due to the fact you can use the volume buttons. I'm referring to the rotation lock functionality.
[doublepost=1486254028][/doublepost]I'd be happy if they would simply fix the intermittent rotation freezing that popped up when iOS 10 arrived.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What has changed? You posting like the lock is gone
[doublepost=1486250848][/doublepost]
I think You misunderstood, I meant slide up control center and like magic there are both buttons. Though i admit I only watch James Bond movies, I don't play him in real life so instant mute isn't a big deal for me. ;)

I know what you meant, but it's a fact that having to slide up the control centre is less convenient than a quick physical switch. You don't have to be James Bond to find yourself in a situation where you accidentally start up a video or some music from your device at an inconvenient moment, especially with the internet being so full of pop up ads. You're surfing the net in a quiet library and the next thing you know a Mazda ad is playing at full volume. A quick mute is a very practical feature on just about any device with speakers.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
To be fair, Apple is a multi-billion dollar consumer electronics company. I doubt that they make any decisions about the designs and functionalities of their products arbitrarily. Whether we can guess or agree with those reasons is something entirely different though...

Unfortunately, the two things are not mutually exclusive. If you have enough meetings about some damn thing, the decision kind of becomes arbitraryish, at the very least.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I'm indifferent. I hated the change at first but I did get used to it. It's not super critical that I'm able to lock my iPad's rotation quickly, but it was super convenient when I could.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
It's pretty annoying when my iPad is receiving texts at night and I have to flip the Smart Cover, slide up and mute. Also the volume button mute is pretty annoying because it will mute when I'm trying to just lower the volume. Bad move on apple's part.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Apple is totally free to explain why they make certain decisions. Until they do, it will still look totally arbitrary to me. It's just too much convenience in one tiny cheap switch to just drop like that. Doing it digitally is not as elegant.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
[doublepost=1486254028][/doublepost]I'd be happy if they would simply fix the intermittent rotation freezing that popped up when iOS 10 arrived.

This. Really irritating on my Air 2. As for a physical switch, I don't feel a personal need or desire for one but don't object to its inclusion.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
It's pretty annoying when my iPad is receiving texts at night and I have to flip the Smart Cover, slide up and mute.
Why aren't you using the scheduled Do Not Disturb? It is probably the most useful feature of the IOS and an exact cure for your problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessemtz25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.