Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like to have the mute/rotation lock back?

• Yes

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 46.5%

• Total voters

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
For me, the main reason the switch was more convenient was it was quicker to switch from one fixed orientation to another. So for example, if I was fixed in portrait orientation and wanted to be fixed in landscape, I would flip the switch, turn the screen to change the orientation, and flip the switch again. With the current interface, I bring up the control center, turn off fixed orientation, dismiss the control center, turn the screen to change the orientation, bring up the control center, set the orientation to fixed, and dismiss the control center.

However, Apple would not need to re-introduce a hardware switch to simplify this process. It could, for example, make it so that turning the screen changed the orientation even when the control center was up. Or it could introduce a new gesture that rotated a fixed orientation by 90 degrees one way or the other.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I bet Apple is searching ways to eliminate ALL mechanical switches, including power and volume. They already did it with the home button, which is not a mechanical switch anymore and will completely disappear from the iPhone 8.

The next step is to find a convenient way to control the volume. Swiping the screen up and down is one way to do it but how convenient or user friendly would that be is debatable.

The hardest one to eliminate will be the power switch. I think that will be with us for a while.

Completely agree with this. All of these controls are available in the Control Center (or what ever they call that swipe up control panel) - including the volume controls. I would agree the Volume controls are on notice for elimination.

At first, I was annoyed that they took away the physical switch - I actually used it quite a bit (as rotation lock) on older iPads. What I've found, though, is that the screen controls are just as convienant (if not more so) than the physical control. Swipe up, lock, mute, etc. Good deal.

They may not eliminate an external power control, but it may not be a physical button. Really, the only time you NEED it is when you want to turn OFF the iPad and you're not using a Smart Cover (I suppose you may need it if you need to do a hard reset, but I haven't had to do one of those in a very long time).

Personally, I'm looking forward to a physical-control-less, bezel-less iPad that's basically a slap of glass that's all screen!

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Why aren't you using the scheduled Do Not Disturb? It is probably the most useful feature of the IOS and an exact cure for your problem.
According to my brother-in-law, someone could have just gotten into a bad car accident, have barely any phone life left and are calling him for help at 3:00 in the morning.

Explained VIP, call twice in a row (who here is old enough to have used the old "let it ring once, hang up, and call again so I know it's you") etc., but dying people not in his VIP list are going to call him instead of 911. *shakes head*

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
According to my brother-in-law, someone could have just gotten into a bad car accident, have barely any phone life left and are calling him for help at 3:00 in the morning.

Explained VIP, call twice in a row (who here is old enough to have used the old "let it ring once, hang up, and call again so I know it's you") etc., but dying people not in his VIP list are going to call him instead of 911. *shakes head*
My wife still prefers to silence her phone using the mechanical mute switch instead of scheduling the Do Not Disturb feature. And then most of the time she forgets to undo the switch in the morning and misses all the calls until she notices that the switch is in the mute position :confused:

Even worse, no chance to reach to these people, even if you were dying, when the device is silenced using the mechanical switch.:(

I think your brother-in-law deserves to be woken up in the middle of the night by a wrong number or spam SMSs.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
My wife still prefers to silence her phone using the mechanical mute switch instead of scheduling the Do Not Disturb feature. And then most of the time she forgets to undo the switch in the morning and misses all the calls until she notices that the switch is in the mute position :confused:

Even worse, no chance to reach to these people, even if you were dying, when the device is silenced using the mechanical switch.:(

I think your brother-in-law deserves to be woken up in the middle of the night by a wrong number or spam SMSs.
The whole discussion started due to the fact he was woken up in the middle of he night by an AT&T text telling him his son hit 75% of his monthly data allowance. I tried to help the guy out, LOL.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
The whole discussion started due to the fact he was woken up in the middle of he night by an AT&T text telling him his son hit 75% of his monthly data allowance. I tried to help the guy out, LOL.
Well, in that case Do Not Disturb would be effective but if he persist to resist using DND, he is doomed!:) Or he can put the AT&T on blocked callers :D

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I used it for rotation lock on my first generation iPad (I had no particular need for a mute function) - it was more of an annoyance than a help. Slide switches can be accidentally moved into the "wrong" position. While it's also possible to accidentally switch on rotation lock from Control Panel, it's not quite as easy. Accidental screen rotation locks are not nearly the problem on my new iPad as they were on the old.

Now, pressing the volume down button too long on my iPad Pro can also be a bit of an annoyance (unintentional muting). But the solution now is to simply reach for the volume up button ("Can't hear it? Volume up!"). With a separate mute switch, pressing the volume up button alone may not fix the problem - if pressing the volume up button doesn't fix it, you have to remember to grope around for the other switch, too. If you frequently used the function, then your fingers will fall right into place and right the error, but if you rarely use the feature, you may not be so quick to remember to check to see if the switch is in the wrong position.

Reactions: Appleaker

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
If you hold down the reduce-volume button mutes it almost immediately.
But you have to unlock the iPad first.The switch was so convenient because all you had to do was move the switch with a finger.

I also use DND on my iPhones and iPads but the switch was great for times when DND was not in effect.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But you have to unlock the iPad first.The switch was so convenient because all you had to do was move the switch with a finger.

I also use DND on my iPhones and iPads but the switch was great for times when DND was not in effect.

You do not need to unlock it to hold the down volume to quick mute it. I like the switch on my Mini 1 but always had it set to rotation lock.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You do not need to unlock it to hold the down volume to quick mute it. I like the switch on my Mini 1 but always had it set to rotation lock.
Unless I am missing something, pressing the volume down while my iPad is locked and the screen off, does nothing. I have to turn on the iPad, unlock it and then press the volume down button to mute.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Unless I am missing something, pressing the volume down while my iPad is locked and the screen off, does nothing. I have to turn on the iPad, unlock it and then press the volume down button to mute.
If you hold the down volume button, it steps down twice and then jumps to mute. I just tested it with the Smart Cover on.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I didn’t use it , but I can see the usefulness for many users. It’s only a software thing, it would have been easy to keep.
Yes, they should bring it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.