Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniMini2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Hello everyone,

Currently I have the iPad Mini2 32GB & and iPhone 6SPlus.
I would like to have either the Kindle or a new iPad.

Reason to get the new Kindle:
To hopefully get into the habit of reading.
I've bought a Kindle PaperWhite 300 ppi @ CAD 99 on Prime Day, but I'm not sure if I'd like to keep the Kindle since I don't do so much reading. I do not have the habit of reading but I would like to get into the habit and that's why I bought the Kindle.

I'm considering to get another iPad for the following purposes:
1) Playing the game, Clash Royale (opening another account)
2) Doing some casual reading

I like the compact size of the Mini iPad however it has been in the market for almost a year.
I am really interested in the True Tone Display feature of the iPad Pro and how I can use the Apple Pen, however it is significantly more expensive than the iPad Mini4.

I'm struggling between getting an iPad Pro 9.7 32GB Wifi ONLY; the iPad Mini4 16GB Wifi ONLY, or should I keep the Kindle Paperwhite instead and not get an iPad.

Could you please help me? Thank you so much for your help in advance.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm not sure what's the point of getting another iPad mini unless you're going to sell your current one, but based on your needs (Clash Royale, casual reading) it sounds like the iPad mini 2 is more than sufficient.

If you do keep your iPad mini 2 though, then I don't see the point of getting the iPad Pro 9.7, unless you'd like to try and see what uses you can get out of it

MiniMini2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Thanks for the prompt responses!
As crazy as it sounds, I have a third Clash Royale (game) account. I've been playing it on an old android phone. That phone has a tiny screen and the phone is getting slower and slower.

I've been struggling as to whether or not to spend so much on an new iPad..
The android phone, though running pretty slow, is still functional..
Would you suggest me to wait until Septemper for Apple's announcement of products to decide then?

Thanks again for helping me out on my first-world-problem

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The Kindle is the best device for reading books, hands down.

The iPad is the most flexible all-around device. Given that it seems you have some interest in playing games(?), the iPad would be your best bet.

If you do find yourself reading a lot more later, you can pick up a kindle cheaply then. Good deals on lightly used ones even (if you really wanted to save even more $$$).

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The hard truth is that buying devices isn't going to help you get into the habit of reading more. Since your main interest seems to be playing this game, I say return the Kindle. Also, iPad Pro feels like overkill for just playing games, considering it costs more, but if you have money to burn, why not? If you are looking to save money, then perhaps wait until the fall and see if Apple comes out with a new mini.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Use your iPad Min that you have already spent your money on and install "OverDrive." Its a free application that will connect to your local library (that you pay taxes for). You can then access lots of library books (and even videos) and save your money. Your iPad Mini is a perfect size for reading books.
Put that unused money into a savings account for that rainy day that everyone experiences. If you buy books from Apple the money goes to an account in Ireland that Tim Cook will then never pay taxes on.
Saving money is not a crime.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
The hard truth is that buying devices isn't going to help you get into the habit of reading more. Since your main interest seems to be playing this game, I say return the Kindle. Also, iPad Pro feels like overkill for just playing games, considering it costs more, but if you have money to burn, why not? If you are looking to save money, then perhaps wait until the fall and see if Apple comes out with a new mini.

Bingo. Especially with someone addicted to a game like Clash Royale.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Hello everyone,

I've bought a Kindle PaperWhite 300 ppi @ CAD 99 on Prime Day, but I'm not sure if I'd like to keep the Kindle since I don't do so much reading. I do not have the habit of reading but I would like to get into the habit and that's why I bought the Kindle.

I like the compact size of the Mini iPad however it has been in the market for almost a year.
I am really interested in the True Tone Display feature of the iPad Pro and how I can use the Apple Pen, however it is significantly more expensive than the iPad Mini4.

I'm struggling between getting an iPad Pro 9.7 32GB Wifi ONLY; the iPad Mini4 16GB Wifi ONLY, or should I keep the Kindle Paperwhite instead and not get an iPad.

Get the 12.9 IPP. It's not too big. Clash Royale is awesome on the 12.9. It's great for reading.

MiniMini2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Thank you so much for your opinions/ advices everyone!

Looks like I shouldn't keep the Kindle and i should THINK if i need an iPad NOW; and if so, if I need the Pro 9.7 for the game because i do not NEED the pro to play a game (clash Royale). And yes I agree, maybe I could save $ and not buy another iPad until my andriod phone dies....

Thanks again, and sorry for bothering you guys with my first world problem. Have a nice weekend guys :)

(on the side note, I'm assuming Badandy & iBook are both clash royale players ~ =) I'm a leader of a Top 100 US clan and I'm recruiting active, friendly and loyal players )

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
You need to have both Kindle and iPAD if your goal is to read ebooks. Why? Because many contents can only be (or they are, at the present) available in PDF, since they use lots of images and are formatted in a way that makes them unsuitable to be viewed using a Kindle.

For example, try reading your common magazine in a Kindle. PDFs can be read, but the experience in the Kindle is dreadful, you can barely move from one page to another while trying to zoom or use the same features from the MOBIs.

And don't ever forget the filesizes. PDFs can have 50, 100 or even 200, 300 MB each (in extreme cases), and are mostly visual, so if you don't plan to fill your device quickly (even if you are using Amazon's free cloud storage), use the iPAD. Such sturdy PDFs are even prone to crash the device while loading.

Now if you are asking me "is it possible to create the ebook version from these same PDFs, smaller and suited for Kindle"? Sure, but I have here with me thousands of ebooks, mostly in english, and I am afraid more than half don't have a Kindle version, and some of them CANNOT have one without considerable content loss.

Creating an ebook isn't an easy task as it might seem, reviewing the whole thing (after scanning) takes time and effort. That's why we don't see as many MOBIs as we like yet. Over time, the number is increasing, though.

The Kindle is perfect if you are concentrating in pure text. The battery lasts more, and compared with the iPAD, it's more pleasant to our eyes (to minimize this, don't use a screen protector, lower the brightness of your Apple device and adjust your the lights inside your room).

As you can see from this link: http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_Pro9_ShootOut_1.htm

The IPP 9.7 screen is enough reason for you to give it a try.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
First of all, if you want to read get the kindle app on the iPad. The iPad also has the iBook app. Amazon does have a larger selection of books and they are both great to have.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,

Go for Kindle :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

If you're not an avid reader already, the Kindle's not gonna change that. The Kindle would probably just end up sitting in a drawer unused ergo waste of money. Just buy the device you'd get more use out of.

Disclaimer: I own multiple Kindles (the Collections feature is kinda half-baked so I keep a separate Kindle for different library/content types). My first choice for reading prose is definitely the Kindle as I find it more comfortable for my eyes and to hold for long periods. However, the iPad is much more convenient to use when loading non-Amazon purchased ebooks (mostly DRM-free epub) so I end up doing a lot of reading on my iPad still. Another thing, ebook organization for large libraries is much better on the epub reader apps for iOS (and Android for that matter) compared to Kindle Collections.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
A few years back I bought a kindle and it really just sits there collecting dust. A few months ago when Amazon warned everyone to upgrade their devices or they'd become unusable, I did recharge it and update the software, but in reality it just sits there. I have an iPad Pro9.7 and an iPad mini 4, both have the Kindle app on them and I use that when I am in the mood to read. Also the iBooks app is pretty decent as well. The Kindle app is also on my iMac and MacBook as well, so if I need to I can bring up the books on those as well.

Personally the Kindle was a waste of money. When I bought it the ipAd screens were highly reflective, and the kindle made sense for reading out by the pool or out on the deck. Today the screens are much less reflective and easier to read. Then again if I was to read out by the pool with a lot of kids around, the kindle would be the better choice since it's a whole lot less expensive and easier to replace than an iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Personally the Kindle was a waste of money. When I bought it the ipAd screens were highly reflective, and the kindle made sense for reading out by the pool or out on the deck. Today the screens are much less reflective and easier to read. Then again if I was to read out by the pool with a lot of kids around, the kindle would be the better choice since it's a whole lot less expensive and easier to replace than an iPad.

That's exactly what I think. Only reason to get a Kindle is if you do a lot of reading outdoors in bright sunlight. Otherwise, reading on the iPad works perfectly.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That's exactly what I think. Only reason to get a Kindle is if you do a lot of reading outdoors in bright sunlight. Otherwise, reading on the iPad works perfectly.
Reading in the car with minimal shade, I find the Kindle Paperwhite is still better than even iPad Pro 9.7. :p

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ok, but that's a variant of being outside in bright light, isn't it? ;)
Sorta. Honestly, any time there's sunlight, even if it's under a shaded patio or tree, I just find the Kindle's practically glare-free display to be more comfortable to read on. There's much less reflection on the Pro 9.7 compared to older iPads but even indoors, if lighting is bright enough, the Kindle tends to be more comfy. Granted, convenience of loading and organizing non-Amazon content, iPad wins hands down.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
but even indoors, if lighting is bright enough, the Kindle tends to be more comfy.

That's probably true, though personally, I almost never come upon indoor places with bright enough lightning that it makes a Kindle easier to see than backlit LCD.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
The hard truth is that buying devices isn't going to help you get into the habit of reading more.

Ehhhhh... That's not entirely true...

I started reading a LOT more when I got into eBooks.
Here's why:
  • For me, reading is like listening to music - what I read depends on my mood. I wouldn't bring multiple paper books with me, but having a device with me at all times (first a Soney reader, then a Nook, now an iPad Mini) gives me flexibility to read based on my mood or desire at the moment.
  • Because of the above, I have as many as 10 books in progress at any given time. For the most part, I have one or two books I'm primarily working on, but I have others I can pick up given the mood striking me.
  • Because of the above, I can read in short spurts (a page or two standing in line) or longer sessions (sometimes for hours at a time).
  • Given the iPad mini, I also have access to three different book stores (Nook, Kindle, and iBooks) as well as magazines, and, of course, the web (via Safari or Instapaper).
  • Given the nature of electronic reading material and the tablet form factor, I find it MUCH more pleasing to read technical manuals and professional documentation.
I read WAY more now with a device than I ever did with paper!

Now, this isn't going to be true for everyone, but I know I'm not alone in this either. The key is to have a device you're going to take with you everywhere!

As far as the e-ink Kindle vs. iPad - it comes down to a personal preference (there' lots of research that says with the modern retina displays e-ink is only slightly better for your eyes - but, again, preference) - with ONE exception: outdoor reading. If you plan to read books in direct sunlight on a cloudless day with no shade, then e-ink is really the only useable option. For me, that's rarely a factor. If I'm outside on a day like that, I'm in shade anyway (and the iPad display works perfectly in the shade). Not that the display is unreadable in direct sunlight, just that e-ink is perfect and the iPad's display isn't as great in that one specific situation.

Reactions: ScottNWDW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.