Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The key is to have a device you're going to take with you everywhere!

That's true enough. But OP already has an iPad mini and iPhone. If that hadn't gotten them reading more, then adding a Kindle to the mix isn't going to help!

Personally, I sometimes miss the days when I could only carry one or two books at a time. Having my entire library with me, I have tended to start reading various books, but never finish any before getting distracted by another one! :p

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
That's true enough. But OP already has an iPad mini and iPhone. If that hadn't gotten them reading more, then adding a Kindle to the mix isn't going to help!

Personally, I sometimes miss the days when I could only carry one or two books at a time. Having my entire library with me, I have tended to start reading various books, but never finish any before getting distracted by another one! :p

For me, the mini 2 would do it, and you'real right - a kindle isn't going to help. An iPhone wouldn't have done it for me though. Can read documents of any length on my 6+.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
For me, the mini 2 would do it, and you'real right - a kindle isn't going to help. An iPhone wouldn't have done it for me though. Can read documents of any length on my 6+.

Me, I manage to do a fair bit of reading on the iPhone. Depends on the material, though. I don't think I'd want to read Kant or Wittgenstein on an iPhone, but I find I can read news articles and most friction perfectly fine on iPhone.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Me, I manage to do a fair bit of reading on the iPhone. Depends on the material, though. I don't think I'd want to read Kant or Wittgenstein on an iPhone, but I find I can read news articles and most friction perfectly fine on iPhone.

Blog posts and such are fine on the phone, but anything longer than three or four paragraphs and I go straight to the Mini (or the Air, or the 12.9" Pro).

It's funny - I used to read stuff on my Palm Vx all the time. When the larger display devices came out, even the 6+ seems too small.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I will be purchasing the iPad 9.7 Pro this fall. Maybe even the 12.9 later on. I have heard great remarks with the quad speakers, which is a seller for me. Though I am impartial to iPads as well.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Ehhhhh... That's not entirely true...

I started reading a LOT more when I got into eBooks.
Here's why:
  • For me, reading is like listening to music - what I read depends on my mood. I wouldn't bring multiple paper books with me, but having a device with me at all times (first a Soney reader, then a Nook, now an iPad Mini) gives me flexibility to read based on my mood or desire at the moment.
  • Because of the above, I have as many as 10 books in progress at any given time. For the most part, I have one or two books I'm primarily working on, but I have others I can pick up given the mood striking me.
  • Because of the above, I can read in short spurts (a page or two standing in line) or longer sessions (sometimes for hours at a time).
  • Given the iPad mini, I also have access to three different book stores (Nook, Kindle, and iBooks) as well as magazines, and, of course, the web (via Safari or Instapaper).
  • Given the nature of electronic reading material and the tablet form factor, I find it MUCH more pleasing to read technical manuals and professional documentation.
I read WAY more now with a device than I ever did with paper!

Now, this isn't going to be true for everyone, but I know I'm not alone in this either. The key is to have a device you're going to take with you everywhere!

As far as the e-ink Kindle vs. iPad - it comes down to a personal preference (there' lots of research that says with the modern retina displays e-ink is only slightly better for your eyes - but, again, preference) - with ONE exception: outdoor reading. If you plan to read books in direct sunlight on a cloudless day with no shade, then e-ink is really the only useable option. For me, that's rarely a factor. If I'm outside on a day like that, I'm in shade anyway (and the iPad display works perfectly in the shade). Not that the display is unreadable in direct sunlight, just that e-ink is perfect and the iPad's display isn't as great in that one specific situation.

Totally agree and the same with me, since getting an electronic device I am reading a lot more than I used to. I do have a kindle reader, but as I said in an earlier post it just sits there collecting dust whereas at least one, if not both of my iPads (iPad Pro 9.7, iPad mini 4) are with me pretty much all the time.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ehhhhh... That's not entirely true...

I started reading a LOT more when I got into eBooks.
Here's why:
  • For me, reading is like listening to music - what I read depends on my mood. I wouldn't bring multiple paper books with me, but having a device with me at all times (first a Soney reader, then a Nook, now an iPad Mini) gives me flexibility to read based on my mood or desire at the moment.
  • Because of the above, I have as many as 10 books in progress at any given time. For the most part, I have one or two books I'm primarily working on, but I have others I can pick up given the mood striking me.
  • Because of the above, I can read in short spurts (a page or two standing in line) or longer sessions (sometimes for hours at a time).
  • Given the iPad mini, I also have access to three different book stores (Nook, Kindle, and iBooks) as well as magazines, and, of course, the web (via Safari or Instapaper).
  • Given the nature of electronic reading material and the tablet form factor, I find it MUCH more pleasing to read technical manuals and professional documentation.
I read WAY more now with a device than I ever did with paper!

Now, this isn't going to be true for everyone, but I know I'm not alone in this either. The key is to have a device you're going to take with you everywhere!

As far as the e-ink Kindle vs. iPad - it comes down to a personal preference (there' lots of research that says with the modern retina displays e-ink is only slightly better for your eyes - but, again, preference) - with ONE exception: outdoor reading. If you plan to read books in direct sunlight on a cloudless day with no shade, then e-ink is really the only useable option. For me, that's rarely a factor. If I'm outside on a day like that, I'm in shade anyway (and the iPad display works perfectly in the shade). Not that the display is unreadable in direct sunlight, just that e-ink is perfect and the iPad's display isn't as great in that one specific situation.
There's quite a bit of a difference between someone who doesn't really read much versus someone who's already an avid reader and is now reading more thanks to ebooks and ereaders/tablets/smartphones. The fact that you even owned a Sony e-ink reader, a fairly obscure device, suggests you were already an avid reader to begin with.

Personally, I bought the original iPhone to read on. Before that, I was doing part of my fiction reading on 1.5-2" cellphone displays then on a 4.3" PSP (I'd buy ebooks in the now defunct Microsoft LIT format, remove DRM, and convert to plain text). Ebooks enabled me to read more books particularly since I didn't have to worry about shelf space anymore, not to mention how convenient it is to buy an ebook and have it downloaded in just minutes. Also, backlighting/frontlighting means bedtime reading without the need for additional lighting (I hate the shadows I get on page when using lamps or even those little clip on lights). Alas, all that nighttime reading (stretching to early morning hours) did lead to screwed up sleep patterns and occasional insomnia. Also, when I get migraines, e-ink with frontlighting (set to low) or dead tree books and low ambient lighting are tolerable but I have to steer clear of anything with backlight. :p

Reactions: Night Spring

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hello everyone,

Currently I have the iPad Mini2 32GB & and iPhone 6SPlus.
I would like to have either the Kindle or a new iPad.

Reason to get the new Kindle:
To hopefully get into the habit of reading.
I've bought a Kindle PaperWhite 300 ppi @ CAD 99 on Prime Day, but I'm not sure if I'd like to keep the Kindle since I don't do so much reading. I do not have the habit of reading but I would like to get into the habit and that's why I bought the Kindle.

I'm considering to get another iPad for the following purposes:
1) Playing the game, Clash Royale (opening another account)
2) Doing some casual reading

I like the compact size of the Mini iPad however it has been in the market for almost a year.
I am really interested in the True Tone Display feature of the iPad Pro and how I can use the Apple Pen, however it is significantly more expensive than the iPad Mini4.

I'm struggling between getting an iPad Pro 9.7 32GB Wifi ONLY; the iPad Mini4 16GB Wifi ONLY, or should I keep the Kindle Paperwhite instead and not get an iPad.

Could you please help me? Thank you so much for your help in advance.

The Kindle Paperwhite is the best device for reading, if your not using it now then you won't read anymore on an iPad. I would sell you Paperwhite and your iPad mini and buy an iPad Pro. But test it in a store first with your game, or make sure you can take it back, to be certain you are happy with the bigger size.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaunAFC3

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

True enough, I'm having the same issue. I'm 45 and ready, heck, 'learning' & educational, biographical and historical reads more than ever in life, lol. I did fine both in HS & college but never actually 'enjoyed' reading.

Perhaps it was the mandate? Or lame two hundred year old books as compelling and enjoyable as a root canal? Not sure but the last decade, more specifically, the last six years have been amazing with eReaders, the refining of the 'black & white' book-a-likes, and for me, iPad. I'm in the middle of a ½ dozen books now and I'm always confusing characters, story lines and the actual name sometimes of the book I'm reading;)

I agree that the 'old days' of picking up the latest paperback of your favorite author is sometimes missed. Though for me, I wasn't great bookmarking, this alone and the inclusion on iPad/iOS & continuity between mobile & desk/lap is amazing. I sometimes go 6 months before picking up where I left off and iOS/OS X bookmarks and syncing seamlessly, = God Send!

I miss being able to see;)
I was 20/20 until I turned 40. I'm a cheater reader, pack of 3 glasses @ Walmart, $9 and no issues but I agree with bensisko, a paragraph or two, cool but anything longer, my 6s+ won't do.
As well, buying now don't buy the mini '2' as its one of the last iOS devices still selling with a single GB of RAM. iPad mini 4 can be found on sale often for a $100-$150 off ....or used for even a better deal. If you don't know what you prefer size wise, go play with each of the three sizes. At essentially a ½, one & one and a ½ pounds, none are too large for mobility and the bigger the display, the more content is displayed maintaining comfortable text sizes. Not to mention the horsepower increase as display sizes increase. Computationally, graphically as well, RAM & I'm getting about an hour more from my iPad Pro 12.9" than my iPP 9.7". If you transfer to/from iPad to your Mac/PC ...USB 3 on the large iPad screams. Nearly a year with the big one and I couldn't be happier.
I'm not a fan of the mini for reading. It's not the most powerful in the lineup but, agin, IMHO, it makes the best 'gaming' iPad (& kneeboard if you fly;)) of the lot.
If you're young, can see fine and need to be able to pocket your iPad, cool, you might be fine using it as a primary reader - I ain't that lucky though

I will be purchasing the iPad 9.7 Pro this fall. Maybe even the 12.9 later on. I have heard great remarks with the quad speakers, which is a seller for me. Though I am impartial to iPads as well.

The sound is a game changer on both models. The 12.9" is definitely more robust and louder but the 9.7" doesn't suck. If alone, Real Racing 3 on my 12.9" w/volume @ "11" RAWKS! But the junior model more than does it's job and crushes any other tablet on the market. There is no comparison with it's older siblings.

I also watch movies, which is why the quad speakers is another seller for me. Sound is everything, at least in a more balanced way.

Sound IS Everything, I completely agree. Not having to carry or break out headphones is a nice bonus. The sound is awesome and obvious Apple put effort into its design and parts. As the volume @ 100% doesn't distort, rattle or vibrate - it just "Sounds". Louder.

The Kindle Paperwhite is the best device for reading, if your not isn't the then you won't read anymore on an iPad. I would sell you Paperwhite and your iPad mini and buy an iPad Pro. But test it in a store first with your game, or make sure you can take it back, to be certain you are happy with the bigger size.

I don't understand this anymore. The Paperwhite is excellent but essentially for reading. Books. The iPad is incredibly easy to use and read on with recent releases & the newer anti glare glass being used. iPad Pros being the latest & least reflective but Air 2 & Mini 4 are very capable as well. I use mini4 in the cockpit and it can get very bright (sun) in there but the Mini4/Air 2 and newer iPads easily blow through the threshold necessary with brightness and the anti-glare displays increase the readability ten fold over earlier versions. We have Kindles and Nooks collecting dust but my whole family reads. We (wife, kids, myself and extended family; brothers, sister-in-laws ...& mom & dad) all prefer the iPad for the versatility offered, book selection is hard to beat; Nook, Kindle, library apps and other (comic, mags, papers, et al) formats are all available in the App Store so you end up with the best of all worlds.
Then there's the other 1,000,000 apps and software for producing, creating, consuming and enjoying regardless of what you are into. I just don't understand buying any other tablet than iPad. I'm an iPhone and OS X user but often play with Android. I get it, and the folks that prefer Android phones. But man, they're not even close to 'getting it' with the current & past swings @ building tablets - or enticing developer involvement and investment to create Android tablet specific apps or software.
The Surface line is good, as a tablet, not great and it falls very short in comparison when taking software and app selection into account. Who cares about legacy, current apps blow 99% of legacy software selection out of the water!
And when you buy a Kindle or Nook you're definitely tied into Amazon or Barnes. Options have gotten better but slowly and definitely a long way from iOS or Android libraries of apps.
Tablet ownership definitely increases reading, even without books or traditional media - with always connected web, RSS feeds, news apps and social media, you're going to read more and IMO - with more flexibility and software, the more useful, personal, and user specific a device becomes. With each release, the need for my MacBook Pro decreases to accomplish tasks the previous generation wasn't able to.
Reading is just the beginning ....
J

Reactions: Night Spring

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't understand this anymore. The Paperwhite is excellent but essentially for reading. Books. The iPad is incredibly easy to use and read on with recent releases & the newer anti glare glass being used. iPad Pros being the latest & least reflective but Air 2 & Mini 4 are very capable as well. I use mini4 in the cockpit and it can get very bright (sun) in there but the Mini4/Air 2 and newer iPads easily blow through the threshold necessary with brightness and the anti-glare displays increase the readability ten fold over earlier versions. We have Kindles and Nooks collecting dust but my whole family reads. We (wife, kids, myself and extended family; brothers, sister-in-laws ...& mom & dad) all prefer the iPad for the versatility offered, book selection is hard to beat; Nook, Kindle, library apps and other (comic, mags, papers, et al) formats are all available in the App Store so you end up with the best of all worlds.
Then there's the other 1,000,000 apps and software for producing, creating, consuming and enjoying regardless of what you are into. I just don't understand buying any other tablet than iPad. I'm an iPhone and OS X user but often play with Android. I get it, and the folks that prefer Android phones. But man, they're not even close to 'getting it' with the current & past swings @ building tablets - or enticing developer involvement and investment to create Android tablet specific apps or software.
The Surface line is good, as a tablet, not great and it falls very short in comparison when taking software and app selection into account. Who cares about legacy, current apps blow 99% of legacy software selection out of the water!
And when you buy a Kindle or Nook you're definitely tied into Amazon or Barnes. Options have gotten better but slowly and definitely a long way from iOS or Android libraries of apps.
Tablet ownership definitely increases reading, even without books or traditional media - with always connected web, RSS feeds, news apps and social media, you're going to read more and IMO - with more flexibility and software, the more useful, personal, and user specific a device becomes. With each release, the need for my MacBook Pro decreases to accomplish tasks the previous generation wasn't able to.
Reading is just the beginning ....
J

You need to read the post I replied to for it to make sense to you, that's what happens why you reply to a post that's replying to someone else..
And the e ink screen is far superior for reading then any other screen type, it's what it was designed for.

Reactions: jamesrick80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.