Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f44f23trwes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Maybe I should use the 16gb ram version? What do you think? Below you can see a graph with average usage.
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-24 om 21.18.57.png

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
I just returned my 8GB max mini today. Even though all my work I do (photoshop,illustrator etc) works fine now but what will it be like next year when Apple updates Mac OS and the system will get bogged down due to ram limitations. I figured it’s only $180 more so I went ahead and ordered it today. The guy at the Apple store that did my return said he has seen atleast 10 people return the 8GB Mac mini just for that same reason. If you can wait and have the funds I say go for it just for the peace of mind.

Peter118

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Maybe I should use the 16gb ram version? What do you think? Below you can see a graph with average usage.
View attachment 1700607
What do you use the Mini for?

I have a 8GB/256GB but will return it because of the shortage of ram and storage. It performed well but since I also use virtualization 16GB will suited better. In the meantime I ordered a 16GB/256GB that will be deliverednext week.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
What do you use the Mini for?

I have a 8GB/256GB but will return it because of the shortage of ram and storage. It performed well but since I also use virtualization 16GB will suited better. In the meantime I ordered a 16GB/256GB that will be deliverednext week.
When did you order the 16GB? Mine shows it wont be delivered until the 19th.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I love my base 8GB Mini because I don't have apps or programs that exceed my daily use.

Coming from a 16GB i7 MBP (2019 16"), that was hot, noisy fans, ran slow, had delays, and spinning beach balls - this 8GB Mini is running circles around it even with dual displays and stays ice cold - never heard the fan for a month now....

Hard to believe a $679 Mini beat out a $2500 16" MBP !

Bluepig45

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
View attachment 1700607
Apps don't seem to be getting smaller or having a lower demand upon memory. In the late 80's and early 90's developers were forced to write software that used as little memory as possible. Unfortunately after we started going from Meg to Gig of RAM available, developers decided it was the Wild West, and they could blame their issues on the computers memory or lack thereof. I had 32 Gb on my previous Mac mini i3 Intel box, and 'upgraded' to the M1 Mac mini with 16 Gb. If for no other reason than as so many have suggested, I'd get 16 Gb so you have some elbow room. My new M1 Mac mini performs several functions much slower than my i3, which I write off to less memory and not yet optimized software. In the field of software development, 8 Gb is perceived to be the new minimum. You're pushing your available 8 Gb now at 6.54, so you don't have a lot of free RAM above that, especially if your RAM is also being used for Cache at 1.3 (my Dutch is very weak, having spent very little time in Volkel, Veghel and Einhoven).

Plus, if you go to sell your M1 Mac mini down the road 8 Gb will not be nearly as attractive as a 16 Gb variant.

Bluepig45

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Apps don't seem to be getting smaller or having a lower demand upon memory. In the late 80's and early 90's developers were forced to write software that used as little memory as possible. Unfortunately after we started going from Meg to Gig of RAM available, developers decided it was the Wild West, and they could blame their issues on the computers memory or lack thereof. I had 32 Gb on my previous Mac mini i3 Intel box, and 'upgraded' to the M1 Mac mini with 16 Gb. If for no other reason than as so many have suggested, I'd get 16 Gb so you have some elbow room. My new M1 Mac mini performs several functions much slower than my i3, which I write off to less memory and not yet optimized software. In the field of software development, 8 Gb is perceived to be the new minimum. You're pushing your available 8 Gb now at 6.54, so you don't have a lot of free RAM above that, especially if your RAM is also being used for Cache at 1.3 (my Dutch is very weak, having spent very little time in Volkel, Veghel and Einhoven).

Plus, if you go to sell your M1 Mac mini down the road 8 Gb will not be nearly as attractive as a 16 Gb variant.
Alsjeblieft

• Haha
Reactions: Hessel89

f44f23trwes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I swap the 8gb variant for the 16gb variant. It does cost 1255 USD while the 8gb one costs 995 USD where i live.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I swap the 8gb variant for the 16gb variant. It does cost 1255 USD while the 8gb one costs 995 USD where i live.
Did the same thing myself - was working on a major customer project just before the holidays on my Intel mac Mini, and had to start closing app to get memory pressure back in green. Very easy choice to
step up to 16GB on the replacement M1 mini which is currently inbound 🥳.

Bluepig45

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Interesting that your location adds a $260 premium over the standard $200 from Apple.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I have vacillated on these topics and decided that I am going to just go with a base mini for 2021 in anticipation of probably upgrading more frequently. I expect Apple will update the internals much more often than they had been doing when they were Intel.

Reactions: Lowhangers

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
RAM requirements NEVER lower over time. Even if you don't need more than 8GB today, you will some time in the next 2 years, and given the lack up upgradability on the Mac Mini M1, you'll either have to replace the machine or live without the upgrade.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
RAM requirements NEVER lower over time. Even if you don't need more than 8GB today, you will some time in the next 2 years, and given the lack up upgradability on the Mac Mini M1, you'll either have to replace the machine or live without the upgrade.

Conversely, if you are planning to perhaps upgrade every year or two, especially now that we are likely on a more consistent upgrade cadence due to Apple Silicon, one may not need to pay more for extra RAM right now.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Conversely, if you are planning to perhaps upgrade every year or two, especially now that we are likely on a more consistent upgrade cadence due to Apple Silicon, one may not need to pay more for extra RAM right now.
Buying high end and keeping it the longest possible is what I personally experienced to be the more economical in term of money.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Buying high end and keeping it the longest possible is what I personally experienced to be the more economical in term of money.

Interesting - I've honestly found mostly the opposite in the last few years with Apple.
The preowned market (and certainly trade-in) really seems to undervalue very expensive upgrades done up front.

To each our own I guess. Cheers

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I bought in late-2013 a macbook pro 15inch late-2013. Now more than 7 years old. Bought it 16 GB, 512 GB, i7 2.4 GHz. Still my daily driver. Use case didn‘t change since I opened the box (data science, programming...)

So in 7 years, it has paid itself multiple times. I bought a server 9 years ago. P8P67 WS, 32 GB RAM, i7 2700K, Noctua NH-D14. The platform is still running 24/7. I upgraded many times. Sound cards, storage, been running Windows at first, then Linux, them ESXI, and back on Linux. Now running with two RTX 2080 for computation. So I tend to buy once and keep it as long as I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.