Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
2012 SSDs were limited to 550MB (often much less), which current devices eclipse by 500% to 2500MB/sec, also. Was dual SSD setup in RAID0?

Cutting down on latencies, smart L2 and L3 cache, as well as improvements in memory.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So you guys are trying to point to an issue with the SATA SSDs from this user's 2012 Mac mini. But how about the fact that my 2019 i9 iMac with 2TB NVME SSD also gets a lot of beach balls? When I got my iMac it was one of the best macs you could get.

I am hoping my Mac mini will not have this beach ball issue.

• Haha
Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So you guys are trying to point to an issue with the SATA SSDs from this user's 2012 Mac mini. But how about the fact that my 2019 i9 iMac with 2TB NVME SSD also gets a lot of beach balls? When I got my iMac it was one of the best macs you could get.

I am hoping my Mac mini will not have this beach ball issue.
We can all now agree that Intel Macs were definitely an issue when compared to the new M1.

I thought when I got the 2019 MacBook Pro 16" I thought it would run circles around the 2015 MBP 15" that is was supposed to replace.

The 16" ran better and faster with better graphics support but when it came to battery efficiency and performance, it still was an issue.

I hated that I had to run the 16" MBP with a laptop cooling fan underneath in order to avoid the "lap burning" feature of the laptop!

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
We can all now agree that Intel Macs were definitely an issue when compared to the new M1.

I thought when I got the 2019 MacBook Pro 16" I thought it would run circles around the 2015 MBP 15" that is was supposed to replace.

The 16" ran better and faster with better graphics support but when it came to battery efficiency and performance, it still was an issue.

I hated that I had to run the 16" MBP with a laptop cooling fan underneath in order to avoid the "lap burning" feature of the laptop!
Honestly for what I do, which is 1080p video editing, my 2019 i9 iMac 128GB of RAM is not any better than my 2010 Mac Pro 8GB of RAM. You would think after 9 years things would be such a massive improvement, but apparently not. Only advantage the 2019 has is HEVC support, which is nice sometimes for the file size benefits.

Reactions: 4sallypat

phantom13

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2020
My advice is get the 16gb but skimp on the storage and buy third party. The problem with 8gb is when you least want it to it’s going to choke .

Reactions: redfirebird08

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
I have actually been paying closer attention to my 2019 i9 iMac 128GB of RAM. And boy do I get beach balls often. I never noticed. Also, Safari takes 6 jumps in the dock before it opens. I have the 2TB SSD version, Vega 48, 128GB of RAM, i9. So it is pretty much maxed out (I think RAM can go to 256 but not sure, I think thats just the 2020 model). It will be interesting to see if I get any beach balls when my M1 Mac mini delivers.

Not really sure why the iMac is that slow sometimes. I never looked at it this closely before though.

6 bounces to open Safari? Given the high end specs of your machine, it makes me wonder if something is wrong with it. Lemon from the factory perhaps? I have a 2017 iMac with 3.0 Ghz Intel i5 chip, 16 gigs of RAM, 256 gig internal SSD, and 1 terabyte bootable external SSD (via Thunderbolt). Both the internal and external SSD's run around 2,000 megs per second. It's not a very high end machine, but Safari opens with only 1-3 bounces for me.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
6 bounces to open Safari? Given the high end specs of your machine, it makes me wonder if something is wrong with it. Lemon from the factory perhaps? I have a 2017 iMac with 3.0 Ghz Intel i5 chip, 16 gigs of RAM, 256 gig internal SSD, and 1 terabyte bootable external SSD (via Thunderbolt). Both the internal and external SSD's run around 2,000 megs per second. It's not a very high end machine, but Safari opens with only 1-3 bounces for me.
Yeah I am not exactly sure what is causing it with my Intel system.

For the actual topic, my M1 just arrived and I posted this in another thread but I will post it here to that might offer some additional thoughts on definitely getting the 16GB version.

So this is something to keep in mind if you are considering 8GB and why I ultimately went with a 16GB version.

8GB of RAM is fine for my needs.....I have confirmed it with my 2019 i9 iMac by replacing my 128GB of RAM after market upgrade with the stock 8GB stick from Apple. I do 1080p video editing which, come on it should be no sweat for any computer these days. So I know 8GB of RAM is fine.

HOWEVER, and this is why I decided to go with 16GB. Something I was NOT thinking about initially was that my iMac has a Radeon Pro Vega 48, which is an 8GB GPU. Since the M1 processor now does not have dedicated RAM for system vs GPU, this means that the 8GB version the GPU needs to share that same memory.

SO - to match my iMac 8GB system RAM and 8GB GPU, I decided on the 16GB version. If you do something that uses the GPU a bit, it actually might be beneficial to get the 16GB version due to the shared memory pool - even if 8GB of system RAM is sufficient.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
I have vacillated on these topics and decided that I am going to just go with a base mini for 2021 in anticipation of probably upgrading more frequently. I expect Apple will update the internals much more often than they had been doing when they were Intel.
Just curious, you and a couple other posters have said you expect Apple to upgrade the internals more often now. What is that thinking based on? They do not seem to regularly update the Mini and they have a whole line to upgrade with Apple silicon now - MacBook pro, iMac, mac pro...I expect the MacBook pro will get an upgraded M1 at some point and I could be jealous for years before I see it make its way to the mini.

Bluepig45

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Alsjeblieft

Dankjewel

Sorry, been away from the site for a few months. Sold all of my Mac stuff, and am now only running the iPhone 12 Pro Max, but about to swap that for the OnePlus 9 Pro. Realistically, the only way I'll ever own anything with the name badge Hasselblad.

My moving away from the Apple/Mac/M1 is not a pure negative reflection on the technology side of the Apple product line, just the limited release (milking) of us users, and I'm sick and tired of paying the Apple tax, and only being able to do things the way Apple wants me to follow procedurally. Apple had four different chips ready to go when they launched the M1, but marketing said they want to spread out the release. They did this with the specific intent of getting the Cult of Apple to buy each and every increment, right up unto to the Mac Pro, where the price point drops 96% of their customer base, and caters to the 4% (their numbers, not mine).

Bluepig45

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Just curious, you and a couple other posters have said you expect Apple to upgrade the internals more often now. What is that thinking based on? They do not seem to regularly update the Mini and they have a whole line to upgrade with Apple silicon now - MacBook pro, iMac, mac pro...I expect the MacBook pro will get an upgraded M1 at some point and I could be jealous for years before I see it make its way to the mini.

"IF" Apple starts to release products faster, there are two motivators, and it is not 'as the tech becomes available;' all of the tech has been there since November.

1. As leaked by one of their hardware engineers that went to Micron, there were several versions of the M1 ready for integration, but marketing put the brakes on any wide release. With such a small market segment, Apple has decided to stay with the high cost of entry, and the "What's Next" hook'em mentality. A more frequent release cycle will come because the tech is there, and it is on someone's project plan with an existing release date.

2. An attempt to hold their place in the computer race with strong up and comers like Huawei, Chuwi, Xiaomi, and (yes) Lenovo (also a Chinese owned company, once known as IBM). Specific to the iPad competitors, I'm under an NDA, but if a product currently attempting to get a patent is successful, they already have manufacturing ready to be in production within 4 months, and are sitting on parts inventory in India, this is going to shock Apple. Now that we have a President that does not care about who does what to whom, when or where, I don't think India is going to have any problems importing it, and doing so at half the initial retail as Apple, or Samsung for that matter.

Releasing on a more aggressive timeline goes against Apple's MO, cramps their artistic style, and subverts their pricing model justification. When the next release of M_ chip variants hits, it is going to fill three missing segments; higher end laptops, the all-in-one's, and the pro line. Apple is going to leave the entry Mac Mini alone. The iPad's will get an updated CPU, but it won't be in the M-genome, but another iteration of the A-line.

My ever increasing gut tells me they are going to spend some capital on the top end of their product offerings, and finally give some love to the actual productivity pros.

Reactions: Tomacorno

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
“Now that we have a President that does not care about who does what to whom, when or where, I don't think India is going to have any problems importing it, and doing so at half the initial retail as Apple, or Samsung for that matter.”

?

Reactions: Scorned

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
... snip ... Now that we have a President that does not care about who does what to whom, when or where, I don't think India is going to have any problems importing it, and doing so at half the initial retail as Apple, or Samsung for that matter.

snip ...

I feel very sad for you. Here in the USA we just got rid of a president like that. And now have one that cares about more than his bank account, fawning devotees, and playing golf.

I hope things get better in your country.

And I figure the rest of your post is BS as well.

Cheers!

Reactions: harriska2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.