Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
BTW, have you ever used the PowerSupport anti-glare film? Or are you basing your glib comment on nothing but your lazy and uninformed opinion about the product?

No, I'm basing it on your 1990's infomercial-style delivery.

"I am decidedly anti-glassy displays, but the excellent Power Support anti-glare film solved the problem on my new 13" MBP. Unlike less expensive film the Power Support film doesn't introduce color shifts or artifacts."

egear

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
ANTI GLARE is soooooo much better i have it on mine and you can see it anywhere

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I was noting how intense the glare was yesterday sitting the in breakfast nook area in the kitchen with the [glossy] MBP13.

My new MBP15 HR/AG shows up today, so I'll get to do a good side-by-side comparison in a few locations around the homestead. Based on what I could see at the Apple store, and comparing my HP AG vs. the MBP, it should be significantly better!

10k300

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
I bought my MBP 15 2011 QC with normal screen, within a week I had paid $300 to buy a new screen assembly with antiglare display. I suggest always, buying the antiglare if you can find it. The glossy just isn't worth it. AFter all, if you choose antiglare when buying the Mac it's 50-100 $ more. Worth every cent in my opinion.

I use the Macbook for video production

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
so you ordered it and then asked for an opinion? okay.

I did the same thing when i joined this forum so I cant knock you too bad, however, there are millions of posts just like this, and thats where the search bar comes in handy.

now for my opinion

I bought the anti glare screen for one reason, the glossy screen is like a mirror. I do like the quality of the glossy one but you have to be in the right light and theres no way that would benefit me

the only think about anti glare that sucks is that the blacks are very hard to see sometimes. if you watch a movie on it (720p or better) you will see what i mean almost instantly. theres no fix. you calibrate it and turn up the gamma too much and it messes up the quality.

after you get your mac, post some more info on how you like it

toothache

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2011
Had both. AG is definitely more versatile but glossy does give you better(?) pictures/videos at the right lighting (which is impossible if you live like a human).
for some reason, I see the silver bezel more unique and boutique looking.
maybe only because I know you/someone has to pay the extra money for the AG. haha (that's a joke no trolling)

Bluedog54

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
Boston
Polling others is not the way to tell. First hand experience is how you tell if you did the right thing or not.

There is no right or wrong in this decision. The OP was obviously having second thoughts about his decision, and is looking for feedback to justify his choice of the AG. Comfort in numbers after all :)

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I only wish AntiGlare had a black bezel - all silver MBP is boring and uncharacteristic. Same goes for MacBook Air - if that had black bezel I would have bought that too.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
There is no right or wrong in this decision.

There is a right and wrong but only as it applies to the individual. Each user has to choose which is right or better for them. Some can't use a certain type of screen due to environment, eye sight, etc, so a right and wrong does exist, just a not a universal right or wrong that can be asked to the masses.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I know that you will see all sorts of different opinions - that is what you get when you ask such questions. But here is my 2 cents worth and I hope it helps your decision.

I recently took my 17" MPB with AG screen over to a friends place to help him and his wife get acquainted with using a Mac. The moment I put my system next to theirs, the first thing his wife said was "we get anti glare next time".

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I agree with those who maintain it's solely a personal choice. I chose hi-res anti-glare. It's really crisp & clear. Yet that's what my friend says about his low res glossy. Either way they're very nice and only you can decide.

natshaw

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
Nothing worse than people who don't know who refuse to say 'don't know'. Opinions from people who have experience is clearly going to help. I think glossy is beautiful. I only use it indoors, no reflections where I typically sit. I also have non-glossy, can't say it's actually bright enough to use outdoors anyway, so the only point of difference in favour of non-glossy is the much lesser reflections if I have bright lighting or a windor behind me during the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.