Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ulisesjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
Hi everyone! I've started a website on Wordpress that provides musicians with digital tools to promote their music. I did everything on Wordpress. Did the entire custom coding by creating a custom plugin. My goal is to create multiple more tools and my question is if I should move out of Wordpress as it might restrict me in the future or there's a way around to do almost anything within the Wordpress environment?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I got rid of Wordpress about 4 years ago - what a relief! True, "you can do almost anything", there are plug-ins for everything. Problem is, many of them eventually break with the endless Wordpress updates. My site got more complex over the years and that became a real problem.

Finally dumped it completely and my site is now about 16,000 lines of hand-written code (it's a complex gps/mapping web app). So much happier now, and no longer paying for those plug-in subscriptions. The good thing about the experience is that it inspired me to learn a lot more about writing javascript code, which took me much farther than I ever could have gone with Wordpress.

Of course, it really depends on the nature of your site. If you can use more or less "plain vanilla" Wordpress, that would probably be fine. But the third-party plugins and themes really don't age well in my experience.

And there are so many Wordpress vulnerabilities. My logfile is still full of hackers endlessly probing for them. You really need to keep everything updated if you use it. Just saw this story last night, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulisesjohnson

ulisesjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
I got rid of Wordpress about 4 years ago - what a relief! True, "you can do almost anything", there are plug-ins for everything. Problem is, many of them eventually break with the endless Wordpress updates. My site got more complex over the years and that became a real problem.

Finally dumped it completely and my site is now about 16,000 lines of hand-written code (it's a complex gps/mapping web app). So much happier now, and no longer paying for those plug-in subscriptions. The good thing about the experience is that it inspired me to learn a lot more about writing javascript code, which took me much farther than I ever could have gone with Wordpress.

Of course, it really depends on the nature of your site. If you can use more or less "plain vanilla" Wordpress, that would probably be fine. But the third-party plugins and themes really don't age well in my experience.

And there are so many Wordpress vulnerabilities. My logfile is still full of hackers endlessly probing for them. You really need to keep everything updated if you use it. Just saw this story last night, for example.

Thanks a lot for your comment. I tend to think that the more time I keep building on Wordpress, the harder it's then to leave it... this is my current website: http://soundraiser.io . Do you think I can easily move it out of Wordpress? I was thinking of maybe giving some no-code app a try...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I tend to think that the more time I keep building on Wordpress, the harder it's then to leave it...

Definitely, it's kind of a "trap" and it took a big effort for me to finally break free.

Sorry, don't really have time to look at your site and probably wouldn't have much insight anyway. I'm never quite sure what "no-code" means? But if it's another way to build a site where you don't really understand how it works, then it might just be trading one problem for another.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You can just use Wordpress as a CMS backend and then install a plugin to export all your content into plain html that you can host anywhere. You can host for free on Cloudflare Pages with some very generous limitations and it will pull your updates from a git repository.

ulisesjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2024
You can just use Wordpress as a CMS backend and then install a plugin to export all your content into plain html that you can host anywhere. You can host for free on Cloudflare Pages with some very generous limitations and it will pull your updates from a git repository.
Thanks a lot for the input!

Reactions: dumastudetto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.