Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
So many people say the Air is trash because it's not retina. Or that once you go retina, you can't go back. I got my Air back after a month of looking at nothing but a retina iPad Pro.

Non-retina is fine for Macs!

Reactions: Audit13

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
So many people say the Air is trash because it's not retina. Or that once you go retina, you can't go back. I got my Air back after a month of looking at nothing but a retina iPad Pro.

Non-retina is fine for Macs!

screen is very old tech, 10 years old XPS M1710 has better screen 1920x1200 IPS VS 1440x900 TN in MacBook Air

CPU even if it's i7 is slow like tortoise

Yes, $500 does seem high. I was prepared to write this MBA off and put the money I would have spent to repair it towards one of the new MacBooks or MacBook Pros. But I'm hearing so many complaints/issues with the keyboards on the new models that I want to get another two or three years out of this Air, while Apple sort out these problems in the new form factor.

I also checked out the used and refurbished market for MBAs. I think mine is in better shape than most of what I am seeing on eBay, and the refurbished models Apple sells are not marked down by much (still $1200 for top of the line).

Also, for $500, Apple replaced my logic board, display, RAM, and apparently the SSD. It seems like the only thing that's original is the aluminum shell and keyboard/trackpad. It's essentially all brand new internals. iFixit wanted $480 just for a new logic board, and I would have had to replace it myself.

I think Apple's rates and service are worth the price.

Thanks all!

RAM is soldered, so it's included with Logic Board.
Why they replaced SSD? Did you checked serial number previous and actual SSD?

Why they replaced display ? Liquid or impact damage ?

also they used refurbished or old/used parts, not new, also there is only 3 months warranty for repair, after that if something happened they will show you middle finger and they ask again for more money

Last edited:
Reactions: rneglia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.