Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strictly

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2022
Updated my setup a bit, LOTS of cable management, a bit more to do. Got a under desk rack for the switch coming in so I can put in some proper drawers for extra cables.

L shaped sit/stand desk (VIVO 3 Leg Desk Frame, 330 lb limit, my wife did an amazing job making the maple top 24” deep 60” x 96”).

Personal Device - Apple Mac Studio - M1 Ultra - 20\64\32 - 64 GB - 1 TB

Work Device - Apple MacBook Pro - M1 Pro - 10\16\16 - 16 GB - 512 GB

LG C2 42-inch evo OLED TV
(2) Apple Thunderbolt Displays (27" 2560x1440)

Sonos Beam (Gen 2) Soundbar
Sonos Sub (Gen 3)
Apple HomePod Mini
(2) AirPods Pro (One for personal use, one for work)

VIVO Premium Aluminum Single TV Wall Mount for 23 to 55 inch Screens, Adjustable Arm
Sanus - Mount for Sonos Beam Soundbar
Nanoleaf Essentials Lightstrip

Logitech MX Mechanical Mini Keyboard (Tactile Switch)
Logitech MX Master 3S Mouse
Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Logitech Desk Mat - Studio Series

Attachments

• D2CFD2CC-7DAF-4E23-BBE5-F4E3ADF8013E.jpeg
    D2CFD2CC-7DAF-4E23-BBE5-F4E3ADF8013E.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 548
  • 999671C3-A35D-4A12-ABB8-2F17BADA1556.jpeg
    999671C3-A35D-4A12-ABB8-2F17BADA1556.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 396

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I'm in the middle of renovating a room to make that my new computer room, so I really don't want to tidy up the old room when everything is moving soon anyways. So my new Mac Studio is setup in the old not so tidy room. :D View attachment 1988953

I'm in the new room since ~2 months now, and today got the Apple Studio Display, so here is the way too tidy picture of my current setup

IMG_9894.jpeg

lwk

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2022
UK
Finally been able to swap over my desk since my 2nd and 3rd Studio Displays (Nano|Vesa) arrived today, had the MacStudio and 1st SD for two weeks

Before: iMac 27" (late 2012) and two 23" lcd's
After: Mac Studio (Ultra 20/48/128GB/2TB) + SD Nano Tilt&Height (in centre) + 2x SD Nano VESA (either side)

Planning on adding a big shelf over the top to relocated some of the electronics kit (Bench PSU, Hot air gun etc) and to move up the to HomePods that are hidden behind all this

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
My 3 Studio Height/Tilt displays are preparing for shipping. I ordered them on April 18 and my window was June 16-30. They will be a great addition to my XDR Pro Display. The wait is almost over!!!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My 3 Studio Height/Tilt displays are preparing for shipping. I ordered them on April 18 and my window was June 16-30. They will be a great addition to my XDR Pro Display. The wait is almost over!!!
I am really curious about what you do for a living that would create the need for over $11K-worth of monitors? I don't mean to pry or to be negative... it's your money to spend how you see fit, but I am genuinely curious.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I am really curious about what you do for a living that would create the need for over $11K-worth of monitors? I don't mean to pry or to be negative... it's your money to spend how you see fit, but I am genuinely curious.
I actually don't have a good answer. I'm an optometrist and just like plenty of desktop space. I just updated my Mac Pro 6,1 with 5 x 30" Apple Cinema Displays to a loaded Mac Studio Ultra. I discovered I really only used 4 of the displays before so only going with 4 total now. Figured an XDR for the main middle one that I use would be perfect and Studios for the sides. The XDR is kick ass. So besides using my practice management software at work, I'm like most people...mail and safari. LOL. So basically I just do it because I can and my wife thinks I need them. :)

Status just changed to shipped....so will get either tomorrow or Monday.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I actually don't have a good answer. I'm an optometrist and just like plenty of desktop space. I just updated my Mac Pro 6,1 with 5 x 30" Apple Cinema Displays to a loaded Mac Studio Ultra. I discovered I really only used 4 of the displays before so only going with 4 total now. Figured an XDR for the main middle one that I use would be perfect and Studios for the sides. The XDR is kick ass. So besides using my practice management software at work, I'm like most people...mail and safari. LOL. So basically I just do it because I can and my wife thinks I need them. :)

Status just changed to shipped....so will get either tomorrow or Monday.

Good for you... and congrats on the wife... mine is always telling me that I DON'T need whatever it is that I want at any given moment. :D

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Good for you... and congrats on the wife... mine is always telling me that I DON'T need whatever it is that I want at any given moment. :D
Yeah, she would probably tell me that if she really knew what I "need" for my profession. Fact is she has no clue. I bring it home so she just doesn't ask. I counted a few weeks ago and she has 68 pairs of jeans in our closet. So it does work both ways obviously. I have like 3 pair.

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
My Studio display was finally delivered today! Traded in a maxed out 2019 iMac and it's night and day for video editing.

View attachment 2012685
Hate to keep asking where things are from haha but what iPad stand is that?

This is one of my favorites I've seen, very clean. Actually makes me want the black keyboard and trackpad :oops: I'd really love a nice wood desk like that but have ended up keeping my white one as I'm so used to the depth of this one and can't seem to find similar (esp. with covid and things being out of stock)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's a totally different situation. The Pro Display XDR is basically just a high end display and it makes sense to buy multiple ones if thats what you want. Totally on board with why you would want that.

What I am saying is the Studio Display is basically a mini all in one computer(it has a webcam, speakers, A13 chip). While that is fine and dandy if you need 1 display......... it ends up being ridiculously expensive for what you get if you want multiple displays since then you are essentially spending money on redundant things you do not need that are built into the cost of the display(such as speakers, webcam, A13 chip, 64GB storage).

Apple's marketing is heavily promoting users with multiple monitors but it's sort of a ridiculous idea to have someone spend extra money on redundant items that are adding a significate cost to the display that have little to no use. If you're buying multiple monitors you are basically being upsold a bunch of things you don't need. This setup right here would run you close to 5 grand for the monitors alone.

Apple_Peek_Performance_Event_00121.jpeg

Well said.

Also if this is Apple showing 3 Studio Displays, which one defaults for FaceTime??!!

How does one select which to use? Can you select one per app per monitor? Say central for Facetime, left for Zoom, etc?

Reactions: fathergll

fumanchoo

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2022
Hate to keep asking where things are from haha but what iPad stand is that?

This is one of my favorites I've seen, very clean. Actually makes me want the black keyboard and trackpad :oops: I'd really love a nice wood desk like that but have ended up keeping my white one as I'm so used to the depth of this one and can't seem to find similar (esp. with covid and things being out of stock)
Thanks! It's the MagFlott stand: https://www.amazon.com/CharJenPro-Patented-MagFlott-Magnetic-Kickstarter/dp/B09MKNQKKL

Reactions: thv

TheFloridaPhotog

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Still installing apps and moving data from my 2017 iMac 5K but I should be done tomorrow. After finishing setting up my Mac Studio with a pair of LG 32UN880-B Ultrafine 4K, while they look great, they are not at the same level of my 2017 iMac 5K so after a few hours decided to place an order for a pair of Apple Studio Displays. One of the LGs will stay and the other, which is still in the return window, is going back to Costco.

View attachment 1984497

View attachment 1984498

View attachment 1984499
Can you fill us in on the external SSD you've added. Specifications and a brief revew would be appreciated. Thanks Jon

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Well, I finally finish setting up my Mac Studio Mac by adding

Super Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Trebleet) for Mac Studio and

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB

I rate the hub 4 out of 5 and the same for the SSD, but I like it. I just have to work on my cable management though even in my PC days I wasn't very good at it. 🤣

Last edited:

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
Well, I finally finish setting up my Mac Studio Mac by adding

Super Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Trebleet) for Mac Studio and

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB

I rate the hub 4 out of 5 and the same for the SSD, but I like it. I just have to work on my cable management though even in my PC days I was very good at it. 🤣

Nice setup! Are those SanDisk G Drives to the right? How do you like them? Thinking about getting one to offload files from my iMac when I replace it later this year.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Nice setup! Are those SanDisk G Drives to the right? How do you like them? Thinking about getting one to offload files from my iMac when I replace it later this year.
They are OK, but for regular backup the one drive is constantly making noise. Though I probably should put it on the floor?

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
XDR and 3 Studio Displays (height/tilt) with Mac Studio completely maxed out. (Needed longer thunderbolt 4 cables though!)

View attachment 2028485
Wow. you are apparently monitoring and decoding the matrix 😝 interesting to see the 32” XDR side by side with some Studio Displays. I was wondering what that would look like. (spent some time with each today at the Apple store, mulling over a new setup.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.