Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks for this! I was facing this issue too. As you, I was suspecting that the problem is happening on wifi but, even with the cable connected, the iPad keeps dropping the connection.

Today I set it into AirPlane mode, and it is working like a charm.

As for you, if I turn off the iPad and turn it on again, it start working correctly, but it last a period of time, later it starts failing again, but putting the iPad into airplane mode solved the problem for me.

It's not the ideal way to solve it, but at least I can work without connection drops.

Thanks!

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
My 14 inch using dual 4K displays and the Sidecar.. becomes so slow.. Almost impossible to use lol.
If you are using 4k maybe you are facing these issues mentioned on this post:

and also more cpu needed to scale.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
If you are using 4k maybe you are facing these issues mentioned on this post:

and also more cpu needed to scale.
Sigh, at this point I might just buy the Studio Display.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
I’ve noticed that Sidecar tends to bring down my whole MacBook Pro after a while with strange symptoms like it becoming very sluggish, or apps crash or network ceases to work.

I’ve started using Duet Display again to avoid Sidecar.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I’ve noticed that Sidecar tends to bring down my whole MacBook Pro after a while with strange symptoms like it becoming very sluggish, or apps crash or network ceases to work.

I’ve started using Duet Display again to avoid Sidecar.
Can you share your WindowServer memory and cpu usage? I noticed that this process (as it should) increases.. However the more time you spend with Sidecar it can go up to 2.5GB on my experience.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
Can you share your WindowServer memory and cpu usage? I noticed that this process (as it should) increases.. However the more time you spend with Sidecar it can go up to 2.5GB on my experience.
I've seen the same happen with Sidecar. It looks like a(nother) memory leak in macOS Monterey to me.

You want me to share memory/cpu usage with Duet, I suppose? It's definitely less, and what is more, it doesn't keep rising endlessly.

rafale77

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2022
Joined the forum just to say "me too". I already posted on the Apple support forum.
I am pretty much convinced that it is a caching issue of some sort on iPad OS. I have the same problem on an iPad9 and an Ipad Pro 11" Gen3. Hard reboot and I have no problem for roughly 24 hrs. Past the 24 hr mark on the iPad (With or without rebooting the mac) and Sidecar freezes within seconds of the connection. Been this way since the Monterey upgrade and the matching iPadOS upgrade... very frustrating. I don't seem to have the problem with the cable connected though and airplane mode doesn't help...

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Yesterday when connected to my Dual 4K monitors, decided to bring in my iPad Pro as my sidecar display to put Microsoft Teams there... It caused 3GB of swap the moment I connected it and almost made my computer kernel panic..

For moments it freezes and was showing red lines in the Memory tab, plus my Window Server went from 2.3GB to 3,20GB.

They have got to fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.