Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
A question that's probably dated for most of you, but...... I’ve not upgraded due to the Photoshop not being compatible with the High Sierra and a few other old apps, but is the file system AFPS so much better than what I’m using on Sierra? It is now a bit restricting with browsers and lack of web editors working on 10.12.6 hence why I probably need to.

If you upgrade to HS what happens to the playability of my external drives and USB sticks that all have back ups made on HFS/Sierra, do they still playback/work on the High Sierra and work the same way, despite being different formats?

Early 2011 i5 MBP so this is the last upgrade of OS.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I think I get that, so the externals will still play back on HS?

When I see all these articles about how to convert the externals to AFPS, I assumed, wrongly? that I needed to do that, and would lose what was on them. So can I still download to the externals or only play back

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Again? So I can still save to the same USB and externals, even though, they're in the old file format OS extended or FAT32 etc. I've clearly been fed false info elsewhere then

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thank you! I did upgrade when it came out but reverted back to Sierra because I needed Photoshop, So long ago, I've forgotten why I changed back, aside from just Photoshop not loading, but now I'm struggling with decent browsers and also there is no compatible Wordpress builders that will load on Sierra now, so.......

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
When you upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra, has the download already got the last security updates up to 2020, and how can you tell if they're already installed, the App store isn't reliable for updates, it's always telling me it's too old for this that and the other. Is there anywhere that shows you have them on the Mac

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
There are two ways to check if you have updates:

1) Click on Apple Menu --> About This Mac, check version and build number (click on the macOS "version" and it will reveal the build number). Wikipedia OS articles have all the security updates listed so you'd be able to determine if your system has any updates or NO updates since the initial release. Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Monterey

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 12.08.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 12.11.36 AM.png

or

2) Hold down Option key and click on Apple Menu --> then System Information --> left sidebar "Software" click on sub heading "Installations" and scroll down until you see "Mac". In my particular example I'm using a Mac that I first had High Sierra and then upgraded to Monterey OCLP.

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 12.04.06 AM.png

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks, It had no security updates at all, I've now downloaded the last 3 for High Sierra, as it wouldn't take the last one on it's own for some reason, and now they show twice in the list. Any idea why that would be?

Presumably I don't need to do all of them, there's about 20, and that code build number disappeared after downloading the updates, Why is that?

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 14.03.27.png

There are two ways to check if you have updates:

1) Click on Apple Menu --> About This Mac, check version and build number (click on the macOS "version" and it will reveal the build number). Wikipedia OS articles have all the security updates listed so you'd be able to determine if your system has any updates or NO updates since the initial release. Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Monterey

View attachment 2342417

View attachment 2342418

or

2) Hold down Option key and click on Apple Menu --> then System Information --> left sidebar "Software" click on sub heading "Installations" and scroll down until you see "Mac". In my particular example I'm using a Mac that I first had High Sierra and then upgraded to Monterey OCLP.

View attachment 2342416

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
Reactions: Peter Franks
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.