Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
I agree - I know that TM could roll back to a file that was once local; but maybe an iCloud-only file being edited by iOS would trigger the file to be re-categorized as no longer "old" (no longer qualified for "optimization"), and be redownloaded.

Exactly!

jameshenderson

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
Oxford
Excellent - thanks!

Next thing is to confirm your suspicion that iCloud-only files updated by another device are re-downloaded by any other Macs to allow for Time Machine to create a snapshot with the new version of the file.

Hi all - I came across this thread as I am thinking of switching on "documents in iCloud" as one measure against the recent announcement by CrashPlan to close it's consumer service.

Is it now proven that an optimised file that is edited elsewhere is downloaded across all devices and therefore becomes available for Time Machine (or any other backup service)?

...incidentally, even if the answer to this is "yes", optimised files that are no longer local would wreak havoc on any cloud-based versioning backup service that has a short file retention policy (Backblaze 30 days, Carbonate 30 days...). The backedup version would be deleted 30 days after the file became "optimised" and removed from the local drive. For example, Backblaze and Carbonite would both consider the file deleted and their 30 days countdown clock starts before they remove the backup as well.

thanks,
James.

Tuvi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
I just came across this forum because I too started to use icloud file storage and it was too late to stop it when I realized that my files were no longer to be stored locally. Well there are two points. They are still stored locally (in a library folder) and I think that I found a way to continue to use TM and CrashPlan as backups. Although Apple warns against it, you can/need to point crashplan to a subfolder in the library. A quick google search will show you where the local files are stored after you start to use iCloud. Apple says that your Mac and CrashPlan will not like this but I found no problem so far. I haven’t checke TM yet but I imagine that my “desktop” folder solution (described below) will work with TM too.

The other solution is to use the desktop path and create new folders and store your new work there. The files are available and easily located through the desktop and this folder stores the files locally and in icloud. I checked this by disconnecting my Mac from the net and I was able to work off the locally stored files in the desktop folder. I confirmed with Apple that the files located in the desktop folder are accessible when offline. I also adopted another “go forward” strategy because all my old files are backed up anyhow with CrashPlan.

The “go forward” strategy for Crashplan and TM is as follows. I have pointed CrashPlan to my desktop folder and sub folders and it is all good. The real problem is why Apple chose to “hide” our working files in a library folder that is hidden from users. Thoughts?

jameshenderson

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
Oxford
I just came across this forum because I too started to use icloud file storage and it was too late to stop it when I realized that my files were no longer to be stored locally. Well there are two points. They are still stored locally (in a library folder)

Yes, it is stored locally. But it is only completely stored locally if you un-check the "optimize Mac Storage" flag.

Although Apple warns against it, you can/need to point crashplan to a subfolder in the library. A quick google search will show you where the local files are stored after you start to use iCloud.

Why do this? ...why not backup your user folder as per normal which includes the library?

The real problem is why Apple chose to “hide” our working files in a library folder that is hidden from users. Thoughts?

I think this is nothing more than Apple not wanting to show your data twice (in the library and in "iCloud").

J.

Tuvi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
Yes, it is stored locally. But it is only completely stored locally if you un-check the "optimize Mac Storage" flag.

Why do this? ...why not backup your user folder as per normal which includes the library?

I think this is nothing more than Apple not wanting to show your data twice (in the library and in "iCloud").

J.
[doublepost=1507483635][/doublepost]Thanks for the quick reply. I made sure that the "optimize Mac Storage" is unchecked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.