Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
If you select the telephoto lens (i.e. 3x in the camera app) iOS doesn't always use that lens - it sometimes uses the wideangle (1x) lens and crops. The resulting photos are truly awful - they look like they were taken with a potato phone.

See e.g. the two photos attached (straight out of the camera). I had 3x selected for both, but for some reason (perhaps camera shake) it used the wide angle and cropped for the first one (IMG_0438) but then used the actual telephoto lens for the second one (IMG_0439). The quality difference is obvious. To be clear, this is a software problem rather than a hardware one, and could be easily fixed by Apple.

Apple's logic is presumably to only switch lens and crop this when a better photo would result, e.g. because it thinks a higher shutter speed is needed that only the f1.5 lens on the wideangle can provide. But in practice they have got their algorithm wrong. F1.5 and F2.8 are two stops apart. So for example the attached where it used wideangle and cropped was used was taken at 1/5000 (roughly) at f1.5 and ISO 50. The camera app could have used the telephoto lens at f2.8 and kept the same shutter speed by changing the ISO to 200. It makes no sense to switch lenses when we're talking about shutter speeds that high.

It's bad enough that the algorithm is wrong - but even worse is there's no option to turn this off, and no easy way to know when it has been done, without either looking at the photo, or looking at its exif data - which you shouldn't have to do after every photo. You could switch to Halide but I would prefer not to use Halide as my default app, and as I say there's no easy way to know that you need to do so. So if you take a photo you think is great, but only look at it properly later, it's too late.

If Apple is listening, please make this an option we can change.

I've also attached a screenshot of the exif data, and another photo which looks like it was taken with the original iPhone 3G because of the same problem (IMG_0437).

Attachments

• tempImagetLF6iI.png
    tempImagetLF6iI.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,270
  • tempImagetNq4Ax.png
    tempImagetNq4Ax.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 827
  • tempImagefuC6yi.png
    tempImagefuC6yi.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0487.png
    IMG_0487.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 852
Last edited:

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
It was same for every model with telephoto and I have that problem with medium light (room, or counterlight).
Definitely "AI" problem. I checked how camera app change lenses multiple times when I change angles or light...
There was a similar "problem" with macroshots (fast switiching wide and ultrawide) and apple put a option to disable it.

Reactions: johnsterdam

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
It was same for every model with telephoto and I have that problem with medium light (room, or counterlight).
Definitely "AI" problem. I checked how camera app change lenses multiple times when I change angles or light...
There was a similar "problem" with macroshots (fast switiching wide and ultrawide) and apple put a option to disable it.
Oh right - I never noticed it on my previous phone (11 pro max) - maybe they’ve changed the algorithm to be even more aggressive given it’s a longer focal lens. I hope they do put an option to disable it.

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kinda like an automatic transmission in a car that chooses the wrong gear for what you want to do
True - and you didn’t know it chose to travel on the motorway in 1st until you get home and find the engine is burned out

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
By the way I uploaded the original .heic files but macrumors seems to convert to pngs. If anyone wants the originals let me know and I can put a dropbox link or something.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
I have reported this both as a bug and talked to support about it.
Didn’t really know others experienced this, thought it was wrong with my device. But issue doesn’t seem to be for all devices? Otherwise wouldn’t more users notice?

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
<<< Sigh >>> The telephoto lens is my one complaint with my new 13 Pro Max. The problem is the aperture lets in less light so it defaults to the wide angle more so than my previous 11 Pro Max ever did. The 11 Pro Max only had 2X but the aperture was much more friendly to less than bright lighting conditions.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Zoom in slightly beyond the range of the wide angle. That will ensure it’s shot with the telephoto. The slight pixel adding due to interpolation of digital zoom on the telephoto won’t be noticeable at a very small zoom level.

Reactions: AlGardner

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Zoom in slightly beyond the range of the wide angle. That will ensure it’s shot with the telephoto. The slight pixel adding due to interpolation of digital zoom on the telephoto won’t be noticeable at a very small zoom level.

This is what I thought would make a difference, but it doesn’t. The example attached is in a low light situation, but telephoto lens never kicks in when zooming.

2AF10483-31B2-43D7-ADA4-15D2E6ACC4F8.jpeg

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I think Apple should make a settings toggle to always use camera that's actually selected in the Camera app. This will solve both the automatic macro mode problem and this random switching to wide camera.

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
Glad I came across this thread, because something has felt off with these cameras. Idk maybe someone could explain it to me, but… I’m not that impressed with the telephoto camera this year. Seems like my 13 Pro is always resorting to digital zoom when using 3x which creates some fuzzy looking photos. My XS on the other hand would usually look good zooming in with 2x, so, what gives? Is it just me? Is it the camera software?

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
I think Apple should make a settings toggle to always use camera that's actually selected in the Camera app. This will solve both the automatic macro mode problem and this random switching to wide camera.
There will be toggle for macro and night mode in future releases... only toggle for telephoto remains.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Is there any 3rd party camera apps that forces the use of particular lenses?

There is. Halide, Moment, Proshot and Spectre is some of the ones I have tried. However the stock camera night mode is not in use with those. So usually there is auto mode or manual mode in other apps where the for example exposure time needs to be changed.

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I have reported this both as a bug and talked to support about it.
Didn’t really know others experienced this, thought it was wrong with my device. But issue doesn’t seem to be for all devices? Otherwise wouldn’t more users notice?
Yeah that surprises me too. Perhaps it is device specific but I’d be surprised. I suspect given the problem mostly triggers in low-ish light, perhaps people just think it’s normal quality for low light. Or to be more cynical, perhaps most people don’t look at their photos too closely?

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
Definitely happening to me in lower light situations. You can see the lens change if you use the zoom wheel. When you get to 2.9x you can see the change on screen as you move to 3x and quality just drops.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Or to be more cynical, perhaps most people don’t look at their photos too closely?

This could be the case.
I have found that photos seem to go to the telephoto lens if clicking on the brightest part of the composition, for example a light. But this obviously could change focus for the picture.
Edit: when double checking the pictures it is not always helping as I stated above.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.