Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I wish they would let you choose what lens you want to use. The switching drives me insane--let me use the optical zoom I paid for. Then again, if they did that, everyone would bitch about how grainy (ISO boosting) or dark (aperture), or blurry (low shutter speed) photos were. Le sigh. Electronic zoom needs to go, period.

Reactions: !!! and N69AP

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
I wish they would let you choose what lens you want to use. The switching drives me insane--let me use the optical zoom I paid for. Then again, if they did that, everyone would bitch about how grainy (ISO boosting) or dark (aperture), or blurry (low shutter speed) photos were. Le sigh. Electronic zoom needs to go, period.

But would people really complain if photos got better clarity? F2.8 is a pretty good for aperture even in lower light.
They could give the option to use digital zoom. The switching to macro lens is also pretty annoying sometimes when shooting closeups.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Of all the threads where people express dissatisfaction with the 13 Pro (usually having to do with weight), this is the only one that really concerns me. The telephoto lens is really the only reason I'm considering the Pro instead of the mini. If that lens is hamstrung, that is a real problem.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
But would people really complain if photos got better clarity? F2.8 is a pretty good for aperture even in lower light.
They could give the option to use digital zoom. The switching to macro lens is also pretty annoying sometimes when shooting closeups.
It's a decent aperture, but what Apple is betting on is that the digital zoom looks better than an ISO boosted (or slow shutter) image. I understand the reasoning and logic, but I wish they gave us the options. F2.8 is great, but the other lenses are at 1.5 (wide) and 1.8 (ultra-wide). We are looking at nearly two stops of difference in terms of usable light if it uses the wide lens, or the difference between a shot at 3200 ISO and 12800 ISO...or 1/250 vs 1/1000. Like I said, I understand why they implemented this--I just want to choose what I think is the better image and I want to use the telephoto OPTICAL zoom that I paid for.

Reactions: dallegre

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
It's a decent aperture, but what Apple is betting on is that the digital zoom looks better than an ISO boosted (or slow shutter) image. I understand the reasoning and logic, but I wish they gave us the options. F2.8 is great, but the other lenses are at 1.5 (wide) and 1.8 (ultra-wide). We are looking at nearly two stops of difference in terms of usable light if it uses the wide lens, or the difference between a shot at 3200 ISO and 12800 ISO...or 1/250 vs 1/1000. Like I said, I understand why they implemented this--I just want to choose what I think is the better image.
Completely agree. But in addition I think they've got algorithm wrong. So eg as you say perhaps picking 3200 iso on the wide lens and cropping is better than 12800 iso on the telephoto. But in my case it’s definitely not making sensible decisions - so eg choosing 1/5000 at iso 32 at f1.5 with the wide lens when there is obviously a better choice with a full sensor at f2.8 (eg 1/2500 at iso 64 at 2.8). But in any case they should give the user a choice

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Completely agree. But in addition I think they've got algorithm wrong. So eg as you say perhaps picking 3200 iso on the wide lens and cropping is better than 12800 iso on the telephoto. But in my case it’s definitely not making sensible decisions - so eg choosing 1/5000 at iso 32 at f1.5 with the wide lens when there is obviously a better choice with a full sensor at f2.8 (eg 1/2500 at iso 64 at 2.8). But in any case they should give the user a choice
I agree with you--that's a faulty decision. For nearly any instance I can think of (outside of maybe wanting to freeze a jet in flight), the 1/2500 ISO 64 at 2.8 is going to be a superior shot and of much higher quality, as your photos indicate. If we're forced to keep it, hopefully they make it a little bit smarter . . .

Lotuskid

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
I’m noticing indoor the telephoto lens produces over sharpened images. In the viewfinder it doesn’t look like that but once in the photos album you can see the image process and end up a little over sharpened and artificial looking.
B55E3E48-AC10-4A7B-B7B7-FC6EE096A896.jpeg

And here I decided to take the photo in proraw instead and used the photos app to edit it and it looks better imo:
CE798E98-D591-459B-A758-57C0F58EBC2B.jpeg

Reactions: johnsterdam

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone camera images were/are not intended to be pixel peeped at max res. That’s not the purpose of a snapshot camera. The end result is intended to look good on an iPhone display- not magnified.
Sharpening, either in camera or in photoshop always leaves visible artifacts when zooming way in

N69AP

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2021
United States
I've had many shots ruined by Apple's algorithms picking the wrong lens, even ones in broad daylight. Sometimes it will be using the correct lens and then switch right as I'm capturing the photo and I end up with a blurry mess.

Even worse, the fact that it's now 3x instead of 2x means the digital zoom is even more noticeable than it was before. When Apple announced that night mode was coming to the telephoto camera for the first time, I thought that meant they would finally stop overriding the telephoto lens, but clearly that's not the case.

iOS 15.1 will allow us to turn off auto-switching to the macro lens, but they really should allow us to just turn off auto-switching altogether, for both photos and videos. Their software just isn't intelligent enough for this to be a useful feature.

Trader05

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
iPhone camera images were/are not intended to be pixel peeped at max res. That’s not the purpose of a snapshot camera. The end result is intended to look good on an iPhone display- not magnified.
Sharpening, either in camera or in photoshop always leaves visible artifacts when zooming way in
When I had the 11 Pro the quality wasnt nearly as bad when you open a photo on a desktop computer. I actually sold my 11 Pro to get the 13 Pro and im currently using my old Pixel 3. After I picked up a 13 Pro today and did some test shots, id say 7 out of 10 shots my Pixel 3 was way clearer/less distorted with and without 2x zoom using regular auto focus. Whats the whole point of these big sensors if you cant open pictures on screens bigger than phones?

Reactions: Burebista and N69AP

trix1701

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2021
Apple are trying to be to clever in changing lens, pretending you select 3x but they know better, so will use digital zoom instead when apple feel like it, it's a lie... who wants digital zoom without knowing that is happening?

It's been this way on previous phone's, very annoying,

I either...
- Use 3rd party app that does not play tricks like this
- After selecting zoom, cover lens with finger to see if actually used, if not I'd rather take 1x and modify myself later (to late once it's already digital zoom)

With PRO phone, you can now prores, proraw, but cannot turn of digital zoom???

Have to say though, new 3x lens is fantastic, quality great, just let me know when I an actually use it...

Reactions: N69AP

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
- Use 3rd party app that does not play tricks like this
- After selecting zoom, cover lens with finger to see if actually used, if not I'd rather take 1x and modify myself later (to late once it's already digital zoom)

Unfortunately 3rd party apps can’t use Apple’s superior night mode. So low light situations will require more manual settings.
It’s also possible to swipe up on a picture or press “i”, after taking a picture. But all to often the quality speaks for itself on what lens was used.

googull

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Same issues as original post on two new phones that arrived a few days ago. Difficulty holding and capturing focus, aggressive with edge light and over exposure, over sharpened, bokeh that literally strains my eyes and distracts completely from the subject and finally the over processed noise resulting in the "oil painting" effect mentioned early in this thread. We bought these phones as upgrades from the X and XS and went with the Pro model for one reason - the upgraded cameras promise of even better images especially in low light, macro, etc. Anyone investing in this Pro model has to be looking hard at the image results unless they are just in for the video - I have not looked at the video results at all. I couldn't believe the first round of shots and thought there must be cartoon filter of some kind being applied. We reset the phones and even shot RAW to find much of the same processing is still being done! I looked at images posted on dpreview.com and they exhibit the same issues. It's absolutely unacceptable and a huge step down from the more natural and organic results we enjoyed from the X and XS. No way I am going to wait for a fix because I don't think one is coming. I suspect a change in philosophy or management in the camera group at Apple that has decided to embrace single processing over clean optics and quality sensors. Sadly, our iPhone 13 Pros will be returned tomorrow.

Reactions: Burebista

ChrisBos

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
Glad I found this thread. My 13 Pro telephoto images look like garbage 9 times out of 10–it usually looks like it's still digital zoom, just with slightly sharper edges.

Honestly, I've had nothing but buyer's remorse over getting the Pro (came from standard iPhone 11) between this camera–the one thing that put me over the top on the upgrade–and the weight. The screen is cool but, but once your eyes adjust to it as the new normal it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. I should at least get killer trade-in or resale value to "downgrade" out of the Pro line next cycle.

Reactions: Burebista

duck apple

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Silently switching from 3x lens to 1x zooming is not the only issue with Camera app telephotos, it’s IQ (mainly image sharpness) is also inferior to Pro Camera.

Here is a snapshot of comparing photos taken with Camera and Pro Camera, both were shot with focus on the box and iPhone Pro 13 sit on a stand:

14D650D5-6E71-47CB-9825-F100349FF13E.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.