Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martynas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Lithuania
Hello, today I've opened Safari browser and logined to my OneDrive account. Then I saw three automatic downloads, three "Silent.dms" files.
Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 20.25.30.png
Kaspersky did not find it malicious. FYI, yesterday I made a OneDrive shared folder with some people who could download images. When I check that silent.dms file (Get info), it says Where from: https://a.lw.skype.com/login/silent...143&_accept=1.0&_nc=1507310125143&partner=999

Last edited:

newuser10

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
Could I have you zip the file, and upload it somewhere for me to analyze?
I've just heard rumors about it now, and would like to get to the bottom of it.

Navetp

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Could I have you zip the file, and upload it somewhere for me to analyze?
I've just heard rumors about it now, and would like to get to the bottom of it.

Here it is, just had the same problems

Attachments

• silent.dms.zip
    851 bytes · Views: 420

hamadooo

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Hello, today I've opened Safari browser and logined to my OneDrive account. Then I saw three automatic downloads, three "Silent.dms" files.
View attachment 723968
Kaspersky did not find it malicious. FYI, yesterday I made a OneDrive shared folder with some people who could download images. When I check that silent.dms file (Get info), it says Where from: https://a.lw.skype.com/login/silent?response_type=postmessage&client_id=580081&redirect_uri=https://onedrive.live.com/&state=silentloginsdk_1507310125143&_accept=1.0&_nc=1507310125143&partner=999
Hello
My computer downloaded the same file twice when I was checking my Outlook email. I am sure I didn't press or accept anything. I tried to open the file but I couldn't, it says the file extension is not supported or something like this.
Please let us know if you have any idea about the content of the file!

Thanx!

Jordzzz

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Hello
My computer downloaded the same file twice when I was checking my Outlook email. I am sure I didn't press or accept anything. I tried to open the file but I couldn't, it says the file extension is not supported or something like this.
Please let us know if you have any idea about the content of the file!

Thanx!

The exact same thing happened to me tonight. It downloaded twice from my hotmail email, more specifically when I was emptying the junk folder. I didn’t open it and deleted it straight away, permanently. Would be interested to know what it was though.

Thanks!

Reactions: Navetp

Martynas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Lithuania
I still have this file. I've tried to find more information but almost without a luck.

By the way - Kaspersky antivirus scanner from App Store found Heur: Trojan.Script.Generic. I downloaded a trial version of Kaspersky program, scanned that folder and now it did not find it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 23.52.39.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 23.52.39.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to get rid of those files, do this:

1. Download EasyFind. It's small, free, and easy to use
2. Open EasyFind.
3. In preferences, set normally-invisible files to be VISIBLE
4. In the search box, enter "silent.dms"
5. On the right, make sure your entire drive is selected to be the searched drive
6. Let EasyFind reveal all the silent.dms files
7. Delete them.
8. In the finder, empty the trash.
9. Done.

Elbow2017

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the tip Fishrrman. Any idea what the files are? Same thing happened to me the other day: logged into Outlook mail on Safari and a silent.dms file automatically downloaded. Opened an unsuspicious message and another downloaded. And then another. Think there were three or four in the end. Today they no longer appear in my downloads folder. Googled 'silent.dms' and this seems to be the only mention on the internet. Apparently a .dms file is an old format from the days of Amiga computers. And according to Martynas' link from the 'Get Info' action on the file, maybe it's to do with Skype? I'd also just downloaded Skype onto a new Mac. (Unless, from a paranoid perspective, Martynas is connected to the silent.dms files we've been seeing, and that link is a plant, so when people like me receive the suspicious download and Google search a solution, we end up clicking on a dodgy link!).

eiskaktus

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
I had a similiar problem.

When I was entering my hotmail via Safari browser, a file called "silent" of type "TextEditDocument" with size 0 Bytes was automatically downloaded onto my mac. I then went to Google and kicked on a link, and the file was downloaded again. Nothing has happened afterwards.

Is this malware?

PK3546

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
I also had this happen to me today and so joined this forum.

My computer downloaded two 'silent.dms' files and one called 'MsaCallback.dms' if that helps anyone.

hamadooo

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Hello everyone. I contacted Outlook about the issue and received the following answer:/

Outlook Support
October 14, 2017, 11:05 +0000
Hi Hamad,

We thank you for your patience and apologize for the ordeal you are currently going through. Your case is escalated to Research Team and my name is Uttam and we will be glad to assist you on this further. From the issue description, I understand when you access Outlook.com from Safari, 'Silent DMS' file gets downloaded automatically.

"Silent DMS" is the file which generated from the Apple device. I suggest you to make sure that your apple device is up to date. Once you have updated the apple device, then try accessing https://outlook.live.com/owa/?authRedirect=true through different browser and device and check if 'Silent DMS' file gets downloaded again. If the issue persists then, I suggest you to install the EasyFind app from the apple store , which will help to find the all files which are related to silent.dms and delete them all.

Please follow the steps mentioned below;

1. Download EasyFind from Apple store. It's small, free, and easy to use
2. Open EasyFind app from Launchpad.
3. In preferences, set normally-invisible files to be VISIBLE
4. In the search box, enter "silent.dms"
5. On the right, make sure your entire drive is selected to be the searched drive
6. Let EasyFind reveal all the silent.dms files
7. Delete them.
8. In the finder, empty the trash.
9. Done.

Looking forward your reply.

Regards,
Outlook.com Research Team

kokomoko

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Any info? This happened to me too when I was browsing a thread here on macrumors. It just downloaded without me clicking anything. The file was named "partner.dms"

kipwheeler

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
Any info? This happened to me too when I was browsing a thread here on macrumors. It just downloaded without me clicking anything. The file was named "partner.dms"
This just happened to me this morning, "partner.dms" keeps silently downloading from safari.

rossimo

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
Likewise. Just once so far, and looked to be an empty file.

This just started happening on my machine today - I have had 5 automatic downloads of "partner.dms" in Safari. The files are 0 bytes and empty.

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Likewise. Just once so far, and looked to be an empty file.
I've had it 3 times today. Appears to be an empty file. Deleted all instances of same.. Still. What is it? I'm asking on a security forum. will post back on what I hear. First encountered at toms guide.com

Last edited:
Reactions: kipwheeler

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2018
I've had it 3 times today. Appears to be an empty file. Deleted all instances of same.. Still. What is it? I'm asking on a security forum. will post back on what I hear. First encountered at toms guide.com
I'm getting this too. Just started today. I was getting ready to do a clean install, although I hate doing that. I find it interesting that this odd issue is happening to all of us starting today.

shroud

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
I also had partner.dms download today for the first time.
It occurred while browsing macrumors at 3:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time using Safari in High Sierra. Graphically, I watched as 3 files consecutively leapt from the browser window and moved into my downloads folder. Upon opening the downloads folder, I could see only one file.

Reactions: 7090320

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I did a google search of "partner.dms" and got this thread. This just happened to me when I visited Macrumors as well. I'm on an iMac running Sierra, file just downloaded 7:11pm EST from Safari.

Weird thing was earlier today, I saw the same "partner" file in my downloads folder on my work computer earlier this morning. That's a completely different system. Dell desktop computer running Windows 7.

Reactions: 7090320

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2018
I did a google search of "partner.dms" and got this thread. This just happened to me when I visited Macrumors as well. I'm on an iMac running Sierra, file just downloaded 7:11pm EST from Safari.

Weird thing was earlier today, I saw the same "partner" file in my downloads folder on my work computer earlier this morning. That's a completely different system. Dell desktop computer running Windows 7.

Doing some research on this partner.dms file, I used the Inspector to look at the Where from section. This is what I found on the latest one:
https://www.imore.com/google-chats-not-working-messages-mac-high-sierra-heres-fix
https://ads.servebom.com/partner?cb=3177&svc=us&id=56&uid=

It seems maybe an ad network has been infected or is malfunctioning? I've had four downloads but only this one file was left behind.

robbier

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
Happening to me as well. Happened on 3 or 4 different sites...Macrumors, I believe iMore, maybe the Verge. Definitely seems like something is up with an ad network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.