Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
I need to buy an iPhone x compatible with cdma to work with my carrier. Will apple release the Sim free version right away? Have they ever done that? I would preorder a Verizon iPhone but I don't have carrier info as I'm not a customer. Could I use someone else's carrier info or would that require a new plan to be purchased by them? Going to the Apple Store is not an option as I don't live near one. Thanks.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Apple might not release any variants of the X edition right away, let alone the SIM free version.

I’m in the same boat BTW. Only thing you can hope for is the T-Mobile version gets the newest Intel modem (which will work on CDMA), but that’s not likely either. We’re probably going to wait a little while.

EDIT: If you knew someone with a Verizon account who would let you use their info, that would work.

Last edited:

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Apple might not release any variants of the X edition right away, let alone the SIM free version.

I’m in the same boat BTW. Only thing you can hope for is the T-Mobile version gets the newest Intel modem (which will work on CDMA), but that’s not likely either. We’re probably going to wait a little while.

EDIT: If you knew someone with a Verizon account who would let you use their info, that would work.

If I would use their info would they be required to select a monthly plan with the phone? On apples site it says their current phone will continue to work until they setup the new phone. So if I pay in full and get the phone and don't use the sim that ships with it but use my own sim on my current carrier you think it will be ok? With no problems on the persons axxount who's account info I use. ?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
If I would use their info would they be required to select a monthly plan with the phone? On apples site it says their current phone will continue to work until they setup the new phone. So if I pay in full and get the phone and don't use the sim that ships with it but use my own sim on my current carrier you think it will be ok? With no problems on the persons axxount who's account info I use. ?

You’re good as long as you put your SIM in before you activate the phone. All of their stuff will continue to operate as normal.

The only thing that could change on their end is the IMEI number of your new phone *might* be associated with their line/account. If that happens and its an issue for you or them, then it’s easy to remedy with a call/visit to Verizon.

invenoveritas

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
The iPhone 8 had / has a Sim Free option for pre order right now. But the X isn't showing such an option.

Yea I saw that too. I called Apple and a rep said unofficially they thought there was a chance that a sim-free option could appear before the pre-orders start. In the worst case, you can open a Verizon account with a pre-pay line or something, avoid having to do a credit check and setting up a monthly service. At least that's what I'm going to try.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Real answer is nobody knows, just wait. iPhone 8 had SIM-free at launch for the first time in years, maybe X will have the same.

Reactions: cwosigns

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Apple probably has to meet the demand of the carriers before releasing any sim free models. Could be a long wait for iPhone X.

Dkelly811

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
You’re good as long as you put your SIM in before you activate the phone. All of their stuff will continue to operate as normal.

The only thing that could change on their end is the IMEI number of your new phone *might* be associated with their line/account. If that happens and its an issue for you or them, then it’s easy to remedy with a call/visit to Verizon.

If I do this will this use my friends Verizon upgrade? That’s important to know for me, or does it just use their info the verify they have an account?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
If I do this will this use my friends Verizon upgrade? That’s important to know for me, or does it just use their info the verify they have an account?

Like @Givmeabrek said, it depends. If they have an old contract plan (not sure if people still have these), then yes.

If they don’t, you can pay full price and your friend’s line will still be “upgradable” afterwards.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

It will upgrade your friends phone. Whatever that involves depending on the account.

This is how it works: You using your friend's account and doing an "upgrade" using their phone number has no negative impact on them. You would be paying for the phone in FULL. You're not doing financing and Verizon doesn't do 2 year contracts anymore.

Like someone else said, when you receive the phone just put your SIM card in before you turn it on. There are literally no consequences to your friend by doing this. Your friend will continue using their phone like normal and their rate plan will remain the same. When you purchase a Verizon phone SIM-Free / Unlocked you're just paying it in full and are done with it.

It's the best way to get iPhone X because something tells me you won't be able to order online without entering carrier info for a while. Maybe Apple will allow you to reserve a Verizon model for in-store pickup and you pay in-store instead of online and won't have to enter any credentials.

We'll see.

Reactions: TrumpWon!

homer79

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Can I ask which is a better option for use in Asia? I am planning to buy an Iphone X and I can do it either through T-Mobile and Verizon. I understand the Verizon model is a CDMA model but its should also work as an LTE phone in Asia. Would I still be able to download or upload with full network speed on such a CDMA model?

Both the T-Mobile and Verizon Models seems to be sold unlocked with their respective sim cards when I select the full payment option. Does that mean I can order a T-Mobile version, it would stay unlocked as long as I use a foreign sim card? Would it become locked once I pop in a T-Mobile sim card (I also have an existing tmobile account which i use when I am in the US)? Many thanks for any replies!

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
See this is how Apple stymies scalpers. Since they do not allow purchases that are not linked to a carrier account for the first few weeks or so, the average person won’t try to scalp. In order to scalp you’d have to buy the phone on an active carrier account, then open the phone and remove the SIM card, then sell it. So I see no way that there can be many scalpers or any that aren’t open box.

homer79

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
This is how it works: You using your friend's account and doing an "upgrade" using their phone number has no negative impact on them. You would be paying for the phone in FULL. You're not doing financing and Verizon doesn't do 2 year contracts anymore.

Like someone else said, when you receive the phone just put your SIM card in before you turn it on. There are literally no consequences to your friend by doing this. Your friend will continue using their phone like normal and their rate plan will remain the same. When you purchase a Verizon phone SIM-Free / Unlocked you're just paying it in full and are done with it.

It's the best way to get iPhone X because something tells me you won't be able to order online without entering carrier info for a while. Maybe Apple will allow you to reserve a Verizon model for in-store pickup and you pay in-store instead of online and won't have to enter any credentials.

We'll see.
Will using my friends account information prevent him from buying another iPhone x for himself?

CSBGameash

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2017
idk about you guys in US but here in NZ the phones we get is carrier free. So we get sim free phone which is good. But I don't understand that why you guys need to choose a carrier when buying a phone?:/

Reactions: LlamaLarry

Zigourney

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
United Kingdom
idk about you guys in US but here in NZ the phones we get is carrier free. So we get sim free phone which is good. But I don't understand that why you guys need to choose a carrier when buying a phone?:/

I know it seems weird in the USA. In the UK you can buy any phone sim free without a carrier contract, including iphones from the apple store SIM Free unlocked outright and put your existing SIM card in it. Or separately you can buy the phone from a carrier with a contract tariff or just buy a sim only contract. I guess different countries do it differently for economic reasons.

Last edited:

netpeer

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
The question is if I use a friend's VZ account info where will the phone be shipped to, my address or friend's address? This is important for tax purposes...
Anyone knows for sure?
Thanks!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The question is if I use a friend's VZ account info where will the phone be shipped to, my address or friend's address? This is important for tax purposes...
Anyone knows for sure?
Thanks!

To avoid issues make sure the Verizon account address, credit card billing address, and shipping address agree. Mix them up and you are in for a rocky ride....
[doublepost=1508937204][/doublepost]

We don't understand either. I'm sure it's all about money and the relationship Apple has with the carrier. To add to the confusion it is always changing. The iPhone 8 Sim free model was available for preorder, but the X is not. It's not consistent. Hopefully some day it will be straightened out...

netpeer

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing just did a drill (iphone 8) using my friends info ahead of launch day and it says:
Contract:(iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Space Gray, Verizon Wireless)
No Commitment
One-time upgrade fee:(iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Space Gray, Verizon Wireless) $30.00
Line Access:(iPhone 8 Plus 64GB Space Gray, Verizon Wireless)

Smartphone

$20.00/month

Fees and rate plan charges will appear on your next Verizon bill.

Will the $30 fee be charged if i put in my old sim? Last thing i want is pay that stupid fee....

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Seriously, I wish Apple would only sell the sim free model to alleviate all this confusion about which model works on which carrier, who is allowed to preorder which model, etc. Scalpers find a way no matter what.

And Apple isn’t the only company that does it. My husband has had to return 2 Google Pixels he bought on Swappa because each seller listed it as the Google Unlocked version when it was actually the Verizon version. Only the Google Unlocked version can be bootloader unlocked, but Google and Verizon had to make it confusing with separate models.

Reactions: LlamaLarry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.