Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The schedule is a day ahead and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to fix it. I have seen other threads in Apple support forums and Reddit but never an answer/fix. It is currently Wednesday, and yet the next schedule is for Thursday.

My phone woke me up at 6am, and based on Tuesday nights sleep schedule, it should have woken me up at 4am.

Tonight, I want to go to sleep at 11pm, and wake up at 6am.

This is broken. And it’s a major problem for me. Please help.

Mods, if there is a more appropriate forum, please direct it there.

Attachments

• IMG_8638.png
    IMG_8638.png
    413.5 KB · Views: 67

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Wednesday’s “wake up” is set for 6am rather than 4am. Set your Thursday ”wake up” for 6am and you’ll be woken at the correct time tomorrow morning. The user interface is not great, I agree with you. Hopefully this helps.

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
The day corresponds with the “Wake Up” alarm. So the schedule you’ve set, you’re telling it that you want to wake up at 6am on Wednesday and 4am on Thursday.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
How can that possibly be true? There is no way to slide the wheel in that manner as the hours asleep would be “negative.” Furthermore, if you look at “next”, it shows that the second column is for tomorrow. You don’t wake up before you go to sleep. Go into the app yourself and you’ll see how it’s not possible to do that. I truly believe there is an Apple problem here, and not just an unintuitive system. If you have the time, please try and you’ll see what I mean.

Wednesday’s “wake up” is set for 6am rather than 4am. Set your Thursday ”wake up” for 6am and you’ll be woken at the correct time tomorrow morning. The user interface is not great, I agree with you. Hopefully this helps.

The day corresponds with the “Wake Up” alarm. So the schedule you’ve set, you’re telling it that you want to wake up at 6am on Wednesday and 4am on Thursday.

Why would the bedtime-to-wake up range be 7 hours, just like I want? This makes no sense and is so frustrating.

In this photo, this is Wednesday’s schedule. See the little bed icon? That’s 11pm, then there is the dial that is scrolled all the way to 6am with an alarm icon, that’s the next day. And it’s 7 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_8639.png
    IMG_8639.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
I use Sleep focus and don’t find it unintuitive.

The screenshot in your last post is saying you want sleep focus to start at 11pm on Tuesday and to be woken up at 6am on Wednesday.

If you wanted to wake up at 6am on Thursday and were to set an ordinary alarm in the alarm app, you would set it for Thursday at 6am. That’s the same principle for the sleep schedule. You look at the day you want to set the alarm for - what time do I want to wake up on Thursday? So you would select Thursday and put the wake up time as 6am. The “bedtime” is when the sleep focus becomes active prior to that - so it’s when you want to go bed the night before.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I use Sleep focus and don’t find it unintuitive.

The screenshot in your last post is saying you want sleep focus to start at 11pm on Tuesday and to be woken up at 6am on Wednesday.

If you wanted to wake up at 6am on Thursday and were to set an ordinary alarm in the alarm app, you would set it for Thursday at 6am. That’s the same principle for the sleep schedule. You look at the day you want to set the alarm for - what time do I want to wake up on Thursday? So you would select Thursday and put the wake up time as 6am. The “bedtime” is when the sleep focus becomes active prior to that - so it’s when you want to go bed the night before.
Delete every other day and only keep Wednesday. Please explain to me how this screenshot works and what I’m telling my phone to do. Sleep focus always worked the way I intended. Sleep schedule, now that I’m using it, does not.

Attachments

• IMG_8639.png
    IMG_8639.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 28

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
The schedule is a day ahead and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to fix it. I have seen other threads in Apple support forums and Reddit but never an answer/fix. It is currently Wednesday, and yet the next schedule is for Thursday.

My phone woke me up at 6am, and based on Tuesday nights sleep schedule, it should have woken me up at 4am.

Tonight, I want to go to sleep at 11pm, and wake up at 6am.

This is broken. And it’s a major problem for me. Please help.

Mods, if there is a more appropriate forum, please direct it there.

Your schedule lets you change the schedule for the next wake-up ONLY without changing the entire schedule. If you edit it and scroll down, there's an option to Reset to Schedule at the bottom.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
So for Thursday set the wake up time to 6 AM, then have the bedtime set to 11 PM like this:
View attachment 2383307
That makes zero since. If you are saying you are going to bed at 11pm on Thursday, and sleeping for 7 hours, you are now waking up at 6am on Friday. You literally have to drag the slider into the next day for the time frame to reach 7 hours.

Bedtime>11pm>drags slider>alarm>6am. I now have a time frame of 7 hours. Sleeping at 11pm one day, and waking up 7 hours later on the next.

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
Delete every other day and only keep Wednesday. Please explain to me how this screenshot works and what I’m telling my phone to do. Sleep focus always worked the way I intended. Sleep schedule, now that I’m using it, does not.
You’re thinking that when you choose a day, that’s when the “Bedtime” starts. So, in this instance, you’re thinking that Bedtime starts on Wednesday at 11pm and the alarm is to go off at 6am on Thursday. That’s not the case.

When you choose a day, that is what day you’re setting the Wake Up alarm for. So when you choose Wednesday you’re setting the alarm for what time you’re wanting to get up on Wednesday. The “Bedtime” is what time you want to go bed on the night prior. So, in this instance, you’re telling the phone that you want to wake up at 6am on Wednesday and for the sleep focus to come on at 11pm on Tuesday.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
You’re thinking that when you choose a day, that’s when the “Bedtime” starts. So, in this instance, you’re thinking that Bedtime starts on Wednesday at 11pm and the alarm is to go off at 6am on Thursday. That’s not the case.

When you choose a day, that is what day you’re setting the Wake Up alarm for. So when you choose Wednesday you’re setting the alarm for what time you’re wanting to get up on Wednesday. The “Bedtime” is what time you want to go bed on the night prior. So, in this instance, you’re telling the phone that you want to wake up at 6am on Wednesday and for the sleep focus to come on at 11pm on Tuesday.
so then what on God’s green earth is 7 hours about this VIDEO. Why would I start at 11pm, then drag to 6am, and it creates a highlight of a 7 hour duration.

I think everyone in this thread so far is wrong. The rational part of my brain would tell me I’m probably wrong if everyone is telling me I am, but this is not rocket science guys.

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
so then what on God’s green earth is 7 hours about this VIDEO. Why would I start at 11pm, then drag to 6am, and it creates a highlight of a 7 hour duration.

I think everyone in this thread so far is wrong. The rational part of my brain would tell me I’m probably wrong if everyone is telling me I am, but this is not rocket science guys.

View attachment 2383309

In the Health app you’ve set a Sleep goal of getting 7 hours sleep a night. The schedule is letting you know whether you meet that goal or not. If you’re getting up at 6am, you need to be in bed by 11pm to meet that goal. When the dial is orange, all it’s saying is that you won’t be in bed long enough to meet the 7 hour goal.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: kitKAC

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
That makes zero since. If you are saying you are going to bed at 11pm on Thursday, and sleeping for 7 hours, you are now waking up at 6am on Friday. You literally have to drag the slider into the next day for the time frame to reach 7 hours.

Bedtime>11pm>drags slider>alarm>6am. I now have a time frame of 7 hours. Sleeping at 11pm one day, and waking up 7 hours later on the next.
The bedtime is not connected to the specific day of the week, you could set it to be any time like 1am Thursday morning or 11pm Wednesday night as long as it's before the wake-up time on Thursday. The day of the week refers to the wake up time. The bedtime is just the time you go to bed before that day's wake up.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitKAC and 13paul13

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The bedtime is not connected to the specific day of the week, you could set it to be any time like 1am Thursday morning or 11pm Wednesday night as long as it's before the wake-up time on Thursday. The day of the week refers to the wake up time. The bedtime is just the time you go to bed before that day's wake up.
Then why in the video that I posted above do you see the sleep time increase as the alarm time changes. Does the alarm clock on the slider bar/circle not indicate an alarm for that time?

Furthermore it DOES function exactly as I am describing. But the system is a day ahead. The times change just as I have them change all throughout the week, for both sleep AND wake up, but a day ahead of schedule.

Last edited:

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
As already mentioned, you select the day you want and the time you want to wake up on that day.

I’ve deleted my sleep schedule and only set a wake up schedule for Thursday.

This shows that the wake up is for Thursday and the bed time is the previous day:

IMG_3253.jpeg

Reactions: kitKAC and 13paul13

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Then why in the video that I posted above do you see the sleep time increase as the alarm time changes. Does the alarm clock on the slider bar/circle not indicate an alarm for that time?

Furthermore it DOES function exactly as I am describing. But the system is a day ahead. The times change just as I have them change all throughout the week, for both sleep AND wake up, but a day ahead of schedule.
I don't follow why you don't expect the sleep time to increase if you move the slider. An earlier bedtime or a later wake up will make your sleep duration longer.

Simply put, in your first screenshot for Wednesday it says 6am so that's when it's going to wake you up. The Tuesday schedule does not determine your Wednesday morning alarm.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I don't follow why you don't expect the sleep time to increase if you move the slider. An earlier bedtime or a later wake up will make your sleep duration longer.

Simply put, in your first screenshot for Wednesday it says 6am so that's when it's going to wake you up. The Tuesday schedule does not determine your Wednesday morning alarm.
And there is an alarm clock there at the end of the sleep phase. And it also adjust the “wake up” time as at slides. Go to sleep at A, wake up at B with an alarm clock.

Like I said, my alarm and sleep times adjust with every time point I have set, including the wake up time. It’s just a day off.

On Wednesday I get the Thursdays sleep AND wake up time following morning. On Thursday I get Saturdays sleep time AND the following wake up time. It’s all just shifted a day. But it certainly gives me the wake up time that follows the sleep times. A Google search will yield similar complaints from users.

It does function exactly the way you say it doesn’t. But mine is a day ahead. I know this because I don’t have the same times every day. My alarms eb and flow exactly how I have it set.

Last edited:

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
And there is an alarm clock there at the end of the sleep phase. And it also adjust the “wake up” time as at slides. Go to sleep at A, wake up at B with an alarm clock.

Like I said, my alarm and sleep times adjust with every time point I have set, including the wake up time. It’s just a day off.

On Wednesday I get the Thursdays sleep AND wake up time following morning. On Thursday I get Saturdays sleep time AND the following wake up time. It’s all just shifted a day. But it certainly gives me the wake up time that follows the sleep times. A Google search will yield similar complaints from users.

It does function exactly the way you say it doesn’t. But mine is a day ahead. I know this because I don’t have the same times every day. My alarms eb and flow exactly how I have it set.
You got the same response from multiple members and still disagreeing with everyone. I guess that means this thread is closed.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
You got the same response from multiple members and still disagreeing with everyone. I guess that means this thread is closed.
So if I disagree I am wrong? What about the video that I posted makes you think I’m thinking wrong about this?

Furthermore, this post on Apple says that Apple even agreed that something wasn’t working right. Now if this is for everyone or just some, I’m not sure. I’m convinced that those in this thread do not use sleep schedule with rotating days.

The reason I’m “arguing” is so people see that it’s not functioning the way it’s supposed to. A lot of people like to chime in with opinions when they aren’t actually using it. I’m looking for people who do use it. Or at least trying to show the issue at hand for those who don’t.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I simply replied to what you said in the OP. "My phone woke me up at 6am, and based on Tuesday nights sleep schedule, it should have woken me up at 4am." Wednesday has a wake up time of 6am in the screenshot, so that's what it did. It's not connected to Tuesday night's schedule.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
So if I disagree I am wrong? What about the video that I posted makes you think I’m thinking wrong about this?

Furthermore, this post on Apple says that Apple even agreed that something wasn’t working right. Now if this is for everyone or just some, I’m not sure. I’m convinced that those in this thread do not use sleep schedule with rotating days.

The reason I’m “arguing” is so people see that it’s not functioning the way it’s supposed to. A lot of people like to chime in with opinions when they aren’t actually using it. I’m looking for people who do use it. Or at least trying to show the issue at hand for those who don’t.
I use the feature daily and it works how I expect it to. I even wiped my schedule to prove to you how it’s set up and provided a screenshot of it working how everyone else had explained.

If I pick Wednesday, I’m setting the time I want to wake up Wednesday and setting the time I want to go to sleep on the Tuesday.

The implementation could definitely use some improvement and that’s what’s causing the confusion.

Last edited:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I use the feature daily and it works how I expect it to. I even wiped my schedule to prove to you how it’s set up and provided a screenshot of it working how everyone else had explained.

If I pick Wednesday, I’m setting the time I want to wake up Wednesday and setting the time I want to go to sleep on the Tuesday.

The implementation could definitely use some improvement and that’s what’s causing the confusion.
I guess I’m giving up and going to bed feeling like a psychopath.

Attachments

• IMG_8641.jpeg
    IMG_8641.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 29

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Yes there are 7 hours between you going to bed at 9:00pm on Tuesday and when you want to wake up at 4:00am on Wednesday.
But the W for Wednesday is selected. Nothing on this screen indicates Tuesday. And this is even evidenced by this screenshot. It is in alignment until you add multiple schedules. Then it messes up.

Do you see?

You mention Tuesday, but when I delete everything else, the phone even says it’s Wednesday bedtime.

There is a major problem here.

Attachments

• IMG_8643.jpeg
    IMG_8643.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 19

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Added a Thursday and you’re right. This is far from intuitive. It’s working “as designed” but the design is inherently flawed. They shouldn’t make the sleep to wake up time a highlight as if it’s connected because it’s not. Ridiculous. Thanks for the conversation. @hg.wells

Attachments

• IMG_8644.png
    IMG_8644.png
    410.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: hg.wells
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.