Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotoru

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Photo Slideshows, does PC Win?

I spent some considerable time trying to find a good SS programme for the Mac a few weeks back and they all seem a bit undernourished/simplistic/unprofessional shall we say. Fotomagico was what I ended up using but the timeline markers were next to useless.......<snip>...
Using a PC/Parallels/Bootcamp... seems to be the best solution it seems for making professional slideshows.
Based upon my experience so far, I agree. On the PC I used ProShow. This was not without bugs. But, is much more powerful than that I have seen for OSX. Perhaps Fotomagico will evolve into a more robust product. I have not tried making a photo show with iMovie.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Which version?

If you want something web based (like a slideshow embedded in your web site) - check out SlideShow Pro. Cheap, powerful, customizable and flash (harder to copy images). It comes in versions for Flash or Lightroom.

I'm considering getting Slideshow Pro myself. I have CS3 but do not have lightroom...yet. Wondering if I should get the Slideshow Pro plugin for Flash or just go whole hog and get the lightroom version. Anybody have an opinion on that?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I took a look at PulpMotion. I've yet to dload the demo. It looks very similar to Fotomagico in a strong way. For a second, I thought Boinx was the creator :)

It looks like a solid piece of sw, but a few thoughts I'm wondering:
1. does the iphoto themes allow us to resize photographs within the frames? or change the frame size? I dropped some photos in real quick and the frames on the book theme cut off some pictures, but I'll be honest - I didn't check if you could resize the frames or choose a larger frame. I know you can re-order the pictures to fit other frames, but a large number of my clients like to have their pictures in a specific order.
If this is possible, then Iphoto might be easier (and cheaper) although $129 for the advanced version isn't that bad at all.

2. Creatively wise: I ask all of us slideshow creators out there: when is creativity too much? I think it's great we can pan pictures, zip them around, move things in and out, have different themes etc.., but does it take away from the photos 'speaking for themselves'? Do clients care if a slideshow is all fancy dancy? I just finished one and the clients were blown away. It was for the husband's 50-something birthday and he was in tears, absolutely blown away by the photographs and memories. Only the ending had something slightly fancy using the iphoto book theme to close it out.

I personally keep my slideshows nice and easy. I time the music as well as I can, but for transitions, it's nice cross dissolves into photos that pan and scan. I think there's a fine line b/n allowing the pics to speak for themselves and letting the viewer remember the pics as their memories provide versus having animation have an impact on the photos. I think too much movement and animation takes the viewers' focus slightly away from the point of the photograph.

The other issue I have with too much animation etc.. is that it 'dates' the slideshow. ie. look at weddings done on VHS back in the mid-80s to late 90s - look at how cheesy and awful some of that animation was/is. And think, back then, it looked great. Fast forward to now then into the future - how awful will too much animation look in a few years? cheesy? dated? or ok?

Please realize I'm speaking about consumer slideshows and not corporate requirements, which I know can vary.

Any thoughts? Also please understand that i'm not saying anyone is doing a bad job of using too much animation. I'm asking the above questions with my opinions b/c I'd like to hear what others have to say. Maybe i'm wrong in my thinking. I'm always trying to better what I offer.

Cheers,
Keebler

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
2. Creatively wise: I ask all of us slideshow creators out there: when is creativity too much? I think it's great we can pan pictures, zip them around, move things in and out, have different themes etc.., but does it take away from the photos 'speaking for themselves'?

I emphatically agree w/you on that point. The audience I am building my site for are not other media outlets or their customers. I am trying to differentiate my images from the millions of others in the daily churn and to me that means giving them a little more breathing space - the whole less is more approach.
On the other hand, I do want to include titles, format, and date information using specific fonts from my library.

danielautos

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
need help w/ slideshow recommendation

I am assisting a photographer who is shooting a sweet 16. she wants to feed me images throughout the night to slideshow on flat screens set up at the club. i am guessing i need a slideshow program that allows me to select a folder of images, which i can then continuously feed the images to and will be added to the slideshow as they come in. two questions: 1) can anyone recommend a good program for this and 2) how do i multitask without it showing on the main screens? for example, if the slideshow is running, how do i add images without the screens showing what i am doing.. is there a program that allows you to do background work without the slideshow being interrupted?

thanks,
daniel

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, I don't think there is a software that allows you to add photos as the slideshow is running. I tried using iMovie, and eventhough it works great, since it allows more fine tuning of the ken burns effect, I still able to live with iPhoto though.

hotoru

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Image Capture ?

....for example, if the slideshow is running, how do i add images without the screens showing what i am doing.. is there a program that allows you to do background work without the slideshow being interrupted?.....daniel

Image capture allows you to set custom settings for each camera. You could set the Memory Card reader settings to "Download To:" Auto Import or another directory then set "Automatic Task:" to "Build Slideshow". Works for me testing on my iPhone but might cause temporary interruption of the slideshow. Another thought would be to set screensaver to show slideshow pictures from a folder then use a second computer to load pictures into that folder over a network.
Good Luck,
Hotoru

danielautos

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
i had thought about the 2nd computer, but i wasnt sure how i could get the two computers to share a folder. im not tooooo familiar with setting up a network in a location such as a venue for a sweet 16 party. i had thought about having the two computers access an external drive and using one computer to do the mechanics such as importing, etc and the other doing the slideshowing from the mutually shared folder.

any thoughts? thanksss..

hotoru

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Automator

This problem is harder that I would have thought. I made an automator workflow that
--Get Finder Items (select target picture folder)
--Get Folder Contents
--New Quicktime Slideshow
--Open Finder Items

Then you could save as workflow and add
--Run Workflow
as the last command to make it loop. Then you could select your computers "Drop Box" as the target picture folder then drag photos into the drop box from another computer on the network.

My problem is that quicktime does not automatically start the slideshow movie when launched. You have to press the space bar. I have found add on automator scripts that will allow you to insert a keypress into automator. But, as I am just testing I do not want to pay the $12 required to buy the script. Also, I suspect there would be a better way to accomplish.
Hotoru

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.