Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlwilsonjr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Murfreesboro Ar
Hello I located a nice camera on this site at a really good price. Does anyone know if this site us legit it looks to be but would appreciate your opinions.

jlwilsonjr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Murfreesboro Ar
I'm looking for the Nikon P80. I've never heard of that site before either. They are about 150.00 cheaper than the big box stores in my area.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
A google search for "slrgenius brings up thins post" befoer teh slr genius website. Their prices are OK, but not much better than B&H/Adorama/Cameta/Amazon so while they aren't definitely a scam there's absolutely no reason to trust them and take that risk.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Actually if you search for the parent site, closeoutgenius, you see ripoff reports and bait-and-switch reports. It's not legit. Just another one of those sites trying to take advantage of naive online shoppers -- it just looks a little nicer than most of them.

jlwilsonjr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Murfreesboro Ar
that is what I was thinking

The ole if it looks to good to be true it prob is statement applies here then. Thanks for the replies I think I will just run down to bb and pick it up(299.00).

rdwm3

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
SLRGenius

Hello I located a nice camera on this site at a really good price. Does anyone know if this site us legit it looks to be but would appreciate your opinions.

I ordered a Nikon D700 from them. The web says $1329 I believe. Biggest bait-n-switch on the Web. When you order from them you have to call them for a confirmation. When I did that they told me that it was body only. I said "fine that's what I want". They then said "body only, no battery no charger, etc" He then wanted to sell me tha package for somewhere around $2000.00 Don't waste your time. They need to be reported to the Attorney General's office.

rdwm3

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
I'll tell you about another one to steer clear of .... CameraGiants .... I ordered the D700 for $1659. Waited 3 weeks and called them. They told me the order had been cancelled because it was no longer available. No longer available? When I asked to speak to a supervisor I got nothing but a run around. Somemore high class folks on the web....

Captain Judy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Close Out Genius SLR Genius

BUYER BEWARE!!! I ordered the Nikon D300 for 619.00 from CloseOut Genius. On an email requiring confirmation, when I called I got it out of them that it was a plastic body and if I wanted the magnesium body it would be 400.00 more. Close Out Genius advertised that this was a Nikon Product and said they were an authorized Nikon distributor which is a total lie. I won't tell you how I got the supervisor on the phone as I used their tactics but it took me all day. He told me that there is Nikon USA and Nikon International and I could get the USA Nikon D300 for 1400.00, claiming it to be their cost. It went up another 400 from last offer. I called the real Nikon company a couple of times and they informed me that there are not two Nikon D300 cameras made, even their international plants make the same one. I ordered this camera so it would take my autofocus lenses but the plastic 619.00 camera CloseOut Genius sells does not do that. They were rude, tried to sell me other cameras. CloseOut Genius sells black market product and they are not only illegal for copyright and trademark infringement, it is false and misleading advertising. Nothing threatens them, CloseOut Genius say they have ways to get around any attorney; and although it said the camera is available on their site and advertised it as a Nikon which it is definately not, the excuse was well it is not available now. That is one way. This company needs to come down. In fact, they run under about ten different names. Close Out Genius or SL Genious, we need to all ban together and bring a class action suit against them before they take advantage of many more people. This is Bait and Switch for sure. Read this Bait and Switch fraudulent ad by SL or CloseOut Genious.

Nikon
Nikon D300 12.3MP SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body)
The Nikon D300 SLR Digital Camera offers outstanding image quality, multi-functional technologies and fast response, with an impressive resolution of 12.3 megapixels, speedy 6 fps frame advance, self-cleaning sensor unit and high definition 3" VGA LCD display, combined with Nikons legendary durability. The Camera also features Nikons exclusive EXPEED Image Processing System that is central to driving the speed and processing power needed for many of the cameras features; such as the 51-point auto focus system with Nikons 3D Focus Tracking feature, and two LiveView shooting modes that allow users to frame a photograph using the cameras high-resolution LCD monitor.

Manufacturer: Nikon
Catalog num: 25432
Availability: Available
Condition: Brand New

FREE SHIPPING
Price: $619.00

Qty.

BEWARE EVERYONE ... the price is to good to be true and I should have known better than order from CloseOut Genius but I really wanted this camera and couldn't afford it through the legit sites. Everone needs to Close Out CloseOut Genius and their many fraudulant online stores.

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
BUYER BEWARE!!! I ordered the Nikon D300 for 619.00 from CloseOut Genius. On an email requiring confirmation, when I called I got it out of them that it was a plastic body and if I wanted the magnesium body it would be 400.00 more. Close Out Genius advertised that this was a Nikon Product and said they were an authorized Nikon distributor which is a total lie. I won't tell you how I got the supervisor on the phone as I used their tactics but it took me all day. He told me that there is Nikon USA and Nikon International and I could get the USA Nikon D300 for 1400.00, claiming it to be their cost. It went up another 400 from last offer. I called the real Nikon company a couple of times and they informed me that there are not two Nikon D300 cameras made, even their international plants make the same one. I ordered this camera so it would take my autofocus lenses but the plastic 619.00 camera CloseOut Genius sells does not do that. They were rude, tried to sell me other cameras. CloseOut Genius sells black market product and they are not only illegal for copyright and trademark infringement, it is false and misleading advertising. Nothing threatens them, CloseOut Genius say they have ways to get around any attorney; and although it said the camera is available on their site and advertised it as a Nikon which it is definately not, the excuse was well it is not available now. That is one way. This company needs to come down. In fact, they run under about ten different names. Close Out Genius or SL Genious, we need to all ban together and bring a class action suit against them before they take advantage of many more people. This is Bait and Switch for sure. Read this Bait and Switch fraudulent ad by SL or CloseOut Genious.

Nikon
Nikon D300 12.3MP SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body)
The Nikon D300 SLR Digital Camera offers outstanding image quality, multi-functional technologies and fast response, with an impressive resolution of 12.3 megapixels, speedy 6 fps frame advance, self-cleaning sensor unit and high definition 3" VGA LCD display, combined with Nikons legendary durability. The Camera also features Nikons exclusive EXPEED Image Processing System that is central to driving the speed and processing power needed for many of the cameras features; such as the 51-point auto focus system with Nikons 3D Focus Tracking feature, and two LiveView shooting modes that allow users to frame a photograph using the cameras high-resolution LCD monitor.

Manufacturer: Nikon
Catalog num: 25432
Availability: Available
Condition: Brand New

FREE SHIPPING
Price: $619.00

Qty.

BEWARE EVERYONE ... the price is to good to be true and I should have known better than order from CloseOut Genius but I really wanted this camera and couldn't afford it through the legit sites. Everone needs to Close Out CloseOut Genius and their many fraudulant online stores.

This is why its extremely important to do all your research before you make an online purchase, especially when the online store sticks you with outrageously low priced products. And sorry, your greed is partially to blame for falling for such a scam. This is exactly the type of scam that runs rampant online. alarms should've sounded when someone offered to sell a brand new camera for a small fraction of its retail price. BUYER BEWARE? More like don't be so gullible next time. This is the year 2009, get with it. Be smart.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
This is why its extremely important to do all your research before you make an online purchase, especially when the online store sticks you with outrageously low priced products. And sorry, your greed is partially to blame for falling for such a scam. This is exactly the type of scam that runs rampant online. alarms should've sounded when someone offered to sell a brand new camera for a small fraction of its retail price. BUYER BEWARE? More like don't be so gullible next time. This is the year 2009, get with it. Be smart.

Thanks for the opinion:rolleyes:
Very helpful post, I like that you have very succienctly called someone, greedy, gullible and not smart.
What possessed you to be so rude? Yes to a seasoned camera and online shopper it screams scam, but there are plenty of legitimate online retailers you can get items for a fraction of their normal cost. A helpful note, like:
If the price is lower than B&H or Adorama you should proceed with caution
could be helpful. Saying it was all your fault don't be so gulible and be smarter? well that is not helpful.
Don't be a dick.

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
Thanks for the opinion:rolleyes:
Very helpful post, I like that you have very succienctly called someone, greedy, gullible and not smart.
What possessed you to be so rude? Yes to a seasoned camera and online shopper it screams scam, but there are plenty of legitimate online retailers you can get items for a fraction of their normal cost. A helpful note, like:
If the price is lower than B&H or Adorama you should proceed with caution
could be helpful. Saying it was all your fault don't be so gulible and be smarter? well that is not helpful.
Don't be a dick.

Do you know how much a D300 retails for? $1,799 USD... Compared to $619 USD? Are you kidding me? 619/1799 = ~34% of RETAIL. Being a dick? I'm offering this person the best advice ever regardless of how "rude" it may sound to your virgin ears.

That is no different then someone saying. Hey I'll give you $100 for $5. Does that make ANY sense to you at all? WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?!??!

I am not arguing the fact that there may be smaller online retailers that can offer cheaper products than major retailers. But more than 60% cheaper than a legit retailer that already offers things at cheap prices? You must have been born a few minutes ago. Sorry folks, online is great for deals, but practical giveaways? Come on now... The internet is not the Salvation Army.

Sorry, but someone that falls for such a scam needs a reality slap, so it gets nailed into their head (Being a carebear about it won't help anyone.) It will save them from all the future scams that they will cross paths. You know it be true.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

Yea this came off a little harsh to me also H2Ockey...
The guy made a mistake. We should be trying to help him and guide him in the right direction, not telling him he's an idiot for making the decision he made..

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Being a dick? I'm offering this person the best advice evergardless of how "rude" it may sound to your virgin ears.

wow best advice ever huh? I'm sure everyone appreciates the effort. I was just trying to do the same for you. In my experience it is possible to be helpful without slapping people in the face. Try it sometime you might be surpised by the results.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Amazon tends to be pretty damn cheap (much cheaper than Best Buy at least). Sometimes you have to wait for a sale to come by to get the really good deals.

http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=515382011

Ive seriously drawn the line with Best Buy..
Ive recently been buying all the seasons of That 70's Show. There are 8 seasons and you would ASSUME the first season would be the cheapest right? Well Best Buy is selling season ONE for like $30. I bought season 1 AND 2 (package deal) at Target for $19.99 (thats season one and two for 19.99, not 19.99 each)
All the seasons at Target are normally around 20 bucks, even the newest season 8 but for some reason Best Buy feels they need to sell season 1 for $30!? I dont get it..

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with this thread.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ive seriously drawn the line with Best Buy..
Ive recently been buying all the seasons of That 70's Show. There are 8 seasons and you would ASSUME the first season would be the cheapest right? Well Best Buy is selling season ONE for like $30. I bought season 1 AND 2 (package deal) at Target for $19.99 (thats season one and two for 19.99, not 19.99 each)
All the seasons at Target are normally around 20 bucks, even the newest season 8 but for some reason Best Buy feels they need to sell season 1 for $30!? I dont get it..

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with this thread.

Holy tangent Batman!

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
wow best advice ever huh? I'm sure everyone appreciates the effort. I was just trying to do the same for you. In my experience it is possible to be helpful without slapping people in the face. Try it sometime you might be surpised by the results.

Different circumstances call for different responses. If this were a less serious issue, perhaps kissing it better would suffice. But this person got owned by a text-book scam, kissing their mistake away won't do jack.

Let's face it... If everyone were like "Aww... you got scammed... sorry to hear that... its ok... you'll be ok." The chances of that individual falling for another scam in the future is greater than it would be if you tell them straight up "Hey you were extremely stupid to fall for something like that, smarten up, don't let it happen again."

You don't need to be a tech savvy or hardcore online shopper to spot a scam. Its as if u think this is a new phenomenon to the world (not just online), and there was no way for this individual to know if it was scam or not. A little common sense would have saved this person, however it was absent - and everyone needs to remind them, if they truly wanted to help.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

I'm going to join those saying you are just being insulting, not helpful. Captain Judy told us about an experience she had, and her conclusions. It seems she already learned what you're offering as help,... on her own - through personal experience. And shared it with others. Points to her.

What you say is basically true, except for the nastiness. I'm kind of wondering how you learned all this. Did someone educate you? Were they rude to you while educating you? Or did you just always know about online scams? Or, have you ever been scammed yourself, (which would actually give you more of a leg to stand on about giving advice... right?) Summary: 1) You don't have to be condescending to offer advice. 2) Offer advice only when asked, or when it will help. :)

Here's what Captain Judy said, which showed she already got it... and learned an important lesson.
BUYER BEWARE!!!
<~..snip..~>

Captain Judy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Cpt Judy Response

Pdxflint, H20ckey, Shady 825, thanks for not being so harsh on me :) as believe me I have slapped myself and hit myself over the head for being such a SUCKER genious. I really probably needed a reality check from waiwai, however, perhaps not so harshly since I take for responsibility for my DUMB genius actions. Regardless, waiwai, we are not all so savy as you on scam tactics.

I also admit, as seen in the partial post below that I posted on Complaints Board, I taje full responsibilty and there may have been a bit of dishonesty on my part as I did not know what a Black Market camera is. I thought it to be the same exact camera but internationally these sellers could get them cheaper and I didn't care how they got it as I felt desparate since my camera broke and I needed it for a job. My hard earned lesson.

By posting, I have tried to educate the consumer that these scam Black market cameras such as Close Out Genius markets are cheap replicas made of cheap material and do not function with the features of the real maunufactured models.

This is part of partial post I previously posted on Complaints Board with the intention of sharing and helping others...

I admit, I was dumbly scammed by Fraudulent Close Out Genius and it cost me dearly.
I blame myself somewhat as I didn't care where the camera came from as long as I could get a Nikon Digital to take my lenses as mine had dropped and broke and I was desparate. I have learned that a tinge of dishonesty on my part not understanding what a black market camera really is has been a lesson I hope to share with others. Perhaps it will make all of us a bit more honest understanding that honesty definately is the best policy and nothing is free and you get what you pay for.

I will continue to ADVOCATE PROTECTING THE CONSUMER from Rip Off Close Out Genius and its many different web sites that go under a different name as well as other Camera Giants that rip us off of our hard earned money. I love photography so much I drained every penny I had because of Close Out Genius as I also use a camera to make money and I am hurting from the economy. This economy will bring out the worst of Close Out Genius Scammers and take our much needed food and bill money.

Please join my crusade and help stop these crooks such as Close Out Genious by reporting and writing reviews of this fraud!

The sweetness of a good price is forgotten long after the HORRIBLE QUALITY of Close Out Genius Black Market Closeout Genious scams are rememebered.

End of Partial Complaint.

Previous to this, there was a Dutch auction on ebay for this camera and I and two others won. including two seasoned photographers. I was elated. Ebay cancelled the auction after it ended. I was irate. I had no idea why. I had bought a harp internationally on ebay for a much cheaper price but the difference is, as I realize now, it was not a manufacturer model and made with tlc. So hesitantly, I have to admit, I am a two time DUMBdumb genius! That is why I need to explain to others of this as I was naive too.

Many of us have the same camera for years and before the internet capabilities of purchasing online became so popular, we found the closest retailer with the best price and reputation. These days are gone and we do need to ban together and kindly help each other, especially in these difficult economic times when many of us need to find the best deal we can, without becoming a DUMBgenius scammed by Closeout genius scammers!

Thanks again for the support and I don't plan on becoming Captain DummestGenius three time loser. :eek:

Attachments

• Nikon D300 SL Genius copy Updated.jpg
    Nikon D300 SL Genius copy Updated.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 109

Captain Judy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Cpt Judy add on

And just to be clear on being a two time DUMB consumer genius with my experience with the Dutch auction on ebay. It was for approximately the same price as Scammers Close Out Genius and originally I thought the seller cancelled the auction after it ended because he did not get the price he may have expected and not so geniusly list a reserve price. Later when I realized ebay cancelled the auction after it ended, I was not made aware of why. Now my hat is off to ebay who helped protect us not so savy genius buyers.

As a former 'ele' teacher myself, remember,

Tell me - I forget
Show me - I remember
Involve me - I understand!

Ebay told me auction cancelled.
Close Out Genius showed me the scam.
Now Involving others so they can also learn these online scam tactics!

Guess it goes for some of us adult learners too!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
It is important to differentiate "black market" from "grey market." Black market goods are usually stolen goods obtained illegally. Trading is called "grey market" when a camera is shipped from another country and the warranty is not good in the US but only in that other country..... this is something important of which to be aware when buying cameras. Nikon will NOT honor a warranty that is on a camera from another country that does not carry a US warranty.

From Wikipedia:
"Unlike black market goods, grey-market goods are not usually illegal. Instead, they are sold outside normal distribution channels by companies which may have no relationship with the producer of the goods. Frequently this form of parallel import occurs when the price of an item is significantly higher in one country than another. This situation commonly occurs with electronic equipment such as cameras. Entrepreneurs buy the product where it is available cheaply, often at retail but sometimes at wholesale, and import it legally to the target market. They then sell it at a price high enough to provide a profit but under the normal market price. International efforts to promote free trade, including reduced tariffs and harmonized national standards, facilitate this form of arbitrage whenever manufacturers attempt to preserve highly disparate pricing. Because of the nature of grey markets, it is difficult or impossible to track the precise numbers of grey-market sales. Grey-market goods are often new, but some grey market goods are used goods. "

In my opinion you would be much better off to take the time to save up the appropriate amount of money in order to purchase your new camera from a legitimate source rather than trying to finagle a cheap deal from questionable internet sources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.