Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexey Ischenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
I want to upgrade my system drive (PCIe). All advise SM951 AHCI, but recently it isn't available to purchase and the prices of it are too high (there where it is). Advise me please good option for installation in Lycom DT-120. Besides that I need your opinion about INTEGRAL ULTIMAPRO X M.2 2280 PCIE 8GBPS AHCI SSD.
http://www.integralmemory.com/product/ultimapro-x-m2-2280-pcie-8gbps-ahci-ssd
Somebody used this device?

Steve Expat

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2016
I want to upgrade my system drive (PCIe). All advise SM951 AHCI, but recently it isn't available to purchase and the prices of it are too high (there where it is). Advise me please good option for installation in Lycom DT-120. Besides that I need your opinion about INTEGRAL ULTIMAPRO X M.2 2280 PCIE 8GBPS AHCI SSD.

Buy a used ACHI SM951 off of ebay. I did just yesterday for $140. Or get the NVME version and apply the patch that lets OS X/macOS use it. The only restriction is that you can't use it in a RAID. But as a boot drive I'm sure you won't.

I have five ACHI SM951s in my MacPro, some in a RAID 0. In my other MacPro I'll probably get the NVME type and patch them.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Steve, what patch is this? Currently, you can only use the NVMe type of SSDs as non boot drives because the Mac Pro's BIOS does not recognize NVMe drives. I'd stick with the ACHI drives in the Mac Pro if you want to boot from it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

It's the very 1st time that I see this SSD, not sure if it can work. However, from it's spec, I couldn't see why it can't work like the SM951 AHCI modle.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Steve, what patch is this? Currently, you can only use the NVMe type of SSDs as non boot drives because the Mac Pro's BIOS does not recognize NVMe drives. I'd stick with the ACHI drives in the Mac Pro if you want to boot from it.

Indeed, which patch is this?

I too would like to upgrade my boot drive from a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD in the DVD bay 2 (terrible read/write speeds but today's standards) to a 256GB PCIe Blade, but it looks like we missed the AHCI SM951 boat... I already have the Sintech adaptor, just nothing to put in it. I don't want to spend thousands...

There aren't many/any AHCI blade drives on eBay in the UK.

Last edited:

Alexey Ischenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
Buy a used ACHI SM951 off of ebay. I did just yesterday for $140. Or get the NVME version and apply the patch that lets OS X/macOS use it. The only restriction is that you can't use it in a RAID. But as a boot drive I'm sure you won't.

I have five ACHI SM951s in my MacPro, some in a RAID 0. In my other MacPro I'll probably get the NVME type and patch them.
Thanks Steve, I know about this driver, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/os-x-driver-for-nvme-m-2-solid-state-drives-released.181387/ but seems is will not work as bootable SSD drive.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

I've never seen or heard of anyone using this SSD but it should work fine. Have you been able to find these available for purchase anywhere?

The only other alternative would be to use an Apple SSUBX with appropriate adaptor but I don't know if these will be any cheaper than the SM951s...

Reactions: zoomfinder

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
A quick search shows that I can get a 512GB XP941 for about $130 and a SM951 AHCI for about $160 (both used, ~50 hours). Not sure if this is expensive, I didn't follow this market closely.

By considering the 500GB 850Evo can also selling at about $160. I think that's quite a reasonable price. Of course, that's not from any famous trustable seller, but a random unknown source from china.

A new 512GB SM951 AHCI cost $200 now.

Alexey Ischenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
A quick search shows that I can get a 512GB XP941 for about $130 and a SM951 AHCI for about $160 (both used, ~50 hours). Not sure if this is expensive, I didn't follow this market closely.

By considering the 500GB 850Evo can also selling at about $160. I think that's quite a reasonable price. Of course, that's not from any famous trustable seller, but a random unknown source from china.

A new 512GB SM951 AHCI cost $200 now.
Yep, it is not expensive!!! I can' t found good price(.....Can I get links for the 512GB SM951 AHCI (200$)from You? I just viewed crazy price!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-SM9...908143?hash=item3d2b075def:g:gYEAAOSwImRYH7ny
[doublepost=1480869545][/doublepost]
I've never seen or heard of anyone using this SSD but it should work fine. Have you been able to find these available for purchase anywhere?

The only other alternative would be to use an Apple SSUBX with appropriate adaptor but I don't know if these will be any cheaper than the SM951s...
Now I can't answer, I sent similar question(compatibility and where to buy)to the INTEGRALMEMORY support yesterday.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yep, it is not expensive!!! I can' t found good price(.....Can I get links for the 512GB SM951 AHCI (200$)from You? I just viewed crazy price!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-SM9...908143?hash=item3d2b075def:g:gYEAAOSwImRYH7ny

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.7.3WnrSe&id=44164490061&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail

Here. Anyway, just found this interesting adaptor as well. $10 with cooling fan. The user review said his Toshiba XG3 running at 53C on a normal adaptor, and only 41C with this adaptor. Not sure if this Jeyi SK9 can work in the cMP or not, but seems a good candidate if I want to go for the PCIe SSD solution. I quite like it's simple looking.

JEYI-SK8-m-2-expansion-NVMe-adapter-NGFF-turn-PCIE3-0-cooling-fan-SSD-dual-interface.jpg

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.7.3WnrSe&id=44164490061&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail

Here. Anyway, just found this interesting adaptor as well. $10 with cooling fan. The user review said his Toshiba XG3 running at 53C on a normal adaptor, and only 41C with this adaptor. Not sure if this Jeyi SK9 can work in the cMP or not, but seems a good candidate if I want to go for the PCIe SSD solution. I quite like it's simple looking.

View attachment 676117

Only problem with these solution is the facs there's only space for one drive :/

Alexey Ischenko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016

View attachment 676117
Thanks man!!! Now I have find out how to buy from TAOBAO and send it to Ukraine))):cool::cool::cool:

Steve Expat

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2016
Thanks Steve, I know about this driver, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/os-x-driver-for-nvme-m-2-solid-state-drives-released.181387/ but seems is will not work as bootable SSD drive.
Correct. That's it. My mistake about it allowing it to boot NVMe. Also, it doesn't yet work with macOS Sierra.

I recommend going to barefeats.com for info regarding this subject. Rob, who runs the site is on top of this topic and he's also very friendly. He answers emails and might be able to help you locate whichever SM951s you want.

Like I said, I'm quickly buying ACHI SM951s off of ebay before sellers get hip to our desperation!

I have a lot of experience with these SSDs.

1) I recommend looking at the Amfeltech PCIe m.2 carrier cards. I have the Squid with four SM951s in a RAID 0. Read speed is an amazing 5700MB/s!

2) Consider purchasing Disk Sensei from
Condori (the makers of Trim Enabler). It has a manual TRIM feature which is handy when buying used SM951s.

3) If you're going to RAID your SM951s consider SoftRAID. They swear up and down that Apple's RAID driver does not support TRIM in a RAID. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

4) SM951s tend to get hot. And when they heat up the write speeds slow down dramatically. Either add a small heat sink to the blade or get something like iStats which lets you turns on all the fans for a predetermined amount of time. This works well in cooling down your m.2 SSD as well as your CPUs and graphics card. I turn all the fans on because I like lowering my 12-core Xeon down when needed.

Nothing beats those SM951s! They're the best for cMPs.

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
Correct. That's it. My mistake about it allowing it to boot NVMe. Also, it doesn't yet work with macOS Sierra.

I recommend going to barefeats.com for info regarding this subject. Rob, who runs the site is on top of this topic and he's also very friendly. He answers emails and might be able to help you locate whichever SM951s you want.

Like I said, I'm quickly buying ACHI SM951s off of ebay before sellers get hip to our desperation!

I have a lot of experience with these SSDs.

1) I recommend looking at the Amfeltech PCIe m.2 carrier cards. I have the Squid with four SM951s in a RAID 0. Read speed is an amazing 5700MB/s!

2) Consider purchasing Disk Sensei from
Condori (the makers of Trim Enabler). It has a manual TRIM feature which is handy when buying used SM951s.

3) If you're going to RAID your SM951s consider SoftRAID. They swear up and down that Apple's RAID driver does not support TRIM in a RAID. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

4) SM951s tend to get hot. And when they heat up the write speeds slow down dramatically. Either add a small heat sink to the blade or get something like iStats which lets you turns on all the fans for a predetermined amount of time. This works well in cooling down your m.2 SSD as well as your CPUs and graphics card. I turn all the fans on because I like lowering my 12-core Xeon down when needed.

Nothing beats those SM951s! They're the best for cMPs.

I have had only good experiences with Disk Sensei. Bought it long time ago - when it was called Trim Enabler - for our two macbooks white late 2009 we have around the house.

Funny enough, I never thought I would need it again, until I got this mac pro. Just manually trimmed a Samsung EVO 850 yesterday (took about 30 min) and enabled Trim after that, and everything is running good so far :)

**DISCLAIMER - I have no affiliations with Disk Sensei or their developer/s**

jonashoechst

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
Are the Kingston HyperX Predators still a viable alternative (https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/consumer/shpm2280p2)? The reviews on Amazon seem to indicate that they are. I'm toying with the idea of a 960GB...

I bought the 480GB Version of the Kingston HyperX Predator a month ago and I'm very satisfied with it!
The device is shown as an external disk by default, but there is a simple kext patch (that only improves that visual glitch) for this. For more information, look into the regarding thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/kingston-hyperx-predator-on-mac-pro-5-1.2004828/

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
There was a 128GB version on eBay UK for £50 BIN... I spent too long thinking about it (about 20 mins wondering if the slower writes would be noticeable) and predictably, it went as I refreshed the page to buy it... zzzz.....

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Bizarrely, I finally found a second hand 256GB AHCI SM951 for £89... i made an offer of £75 and it was accepted. So, I should have mine in a couple of days.

It's funny, I've been wanting one for so long, I know I'm gonna install it, go 'ooh this is fast' and then think.... OK, now what? :D

Reactions: itdk92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.