Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
My Intel Mini came with Tiger, but I've since updated it to Snow Leopard. I'm thinking of putting it back to Tiger as a possible solution to an EyeTV problem.

Can I do an Archive and Install for this, or will I need to do a Clean Install?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not sure what you mean by an archive and install, but I think you will need to format and do a clean install of Tiger. Be sure to back up your files on another drive or partition first.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Probably the best thing to do is just find out for yourself. I bet it would work as you're not taking any updated system files or anything, just user files.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can probably try an archive and install but to be perfectly safe to make sure that nothing of SL hangs around, I'd just reformat and install tiger.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Archive and Install should work just fine. All those worrying about things hanging around are worried over nothing, the Archive and Install is designed for exactly this type of use.

jW

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Archive and Install should work just fine. All those worrying about things hanging around are worried over nothing, the Archive and Install is designed for exactly this type of use.

jW

The Archive and install creates a new set of system folders, i.e., system, Library etc. what's not touched is a person's home folder. That being the case there may stuff hanging around in the home folder, like ~/Library that was SL specific which could cause issues with Tiger. Normally you go up to a new OS, not down to an older version of OS.

While it may not be entirely needed, reformatting and reinstalling will give the OP peace of mind, if things start acting off, he'll not be completely sure its related to the downgrade or another issue.

karl878

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2005
CA
According to Apple, "Important: You should only perform an Archive and Install installation over the same major version (reference release) of Mac OS X. For example, if your Mac OS X Install disc has Mac OS X 10.4, then you should only perform an Archive and Install over version 10.4 through 10.4.11."

see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2597

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Or if you need it badly then install 10.4 on an external drive and boot from there. Best of both worlds.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Thanks. As an aside, is there a way of telling when I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard? Is there a particular folder that would have a date when it was created?

This is all to do with an EyeTV problem, and there is no point in going back to Tiger in an attempt to fix it if I was on SL when I bought the EyeTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.