iPad Pro So, anyone figure out what the mystery hole is yet?

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
So, with the removal of the ultra wide, it's pretty obvious the largest, most-left cutout is the Wide lens. Below it is the LiDAR sensor. Bottom left is a microphone, above it is a flash, but what is this mysterious small black cutout doing here?

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 12.35.08 PM.png

My only assumption is that it's somehow related to the LiDAR system, but is it? Does anyone know? Has anyone found out? What are your theories?

flobach

macrumors regular
Was wondering the same. Built in super soaker would be cool, but with the iPad so thin, wouldn’t be much space to fill it with water.
Another mic? Double LIDAR?

F27

macrumors regular
I think it’s the True Tone sensor for the LED flash. They demoed that special document scanning feature in the keynote.

I think removing the Ultra Wide was a downgrade, now camera wise it’s an iPad Air!

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
I think it’s the True Tone sensor for the LED flash. They demoed that special document scanning feature in the keynote.

I think removing the Ultra Wide was a downgrade, now camera wise it’s an iPad Air!
I think you’re right. It looks like it’s an ambient light sensor.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603

Yeah, no one is really discussing this. I think "taking pictures with their iPad" is ostracized in public... perhaps Apple is moving in a different direction.

But iPad Pro was known to have a "Pro camera system" (which it's not marketed anymore) ... now with only one camera. It's a downgrade.

Reactions: F27

klasma

macrumors 603
At least the bump isn’t a fat reflective black square anymore, especially on the silver model.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
They kept an extra hole there so next year's iPad can be sold with a second camera and they can claim it's that much better now :D

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
As thin as the M4 iPads are, I am surprised the hump is not bigger. There are physics involved and you got to have space between the lens and the sensor.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
As thin as the M4 iPads are, I am surprised the hump is not bigger. There are physics involved and you got to have space between the lens and the sensor.
The camera probably got a downgrade.. reasonably so, not much people actually need to take good photos with iPad.

About the thinness, the M4 iPad pro is actually not that much thinner than the original 11 and 12.9 inch iPad pros at 5.7 mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.